Who says good pizza can’t be healthy? Or healthy pizza can’t taste good? Our famous Sweet Potato Pizza is topped with tangy BBQ chicken and delicious roasted veggies. It’s gluten free, dairy-free, and packed with protein. And it tastes ahh-mazing!!
Healthy Barbecue Chicken Pizza with Sweet Potato Crust
Pizza has been off the menu ever since I became lactose-intolerant about ten years ago. We also avoid gluten whenever possible, so that’s two strikes against those cheesy, doughy pies of deliciousness.
That is until my husband dreamed up the sweet potato crust pizza recipe that changed my life. Finally I can enjoy pizza without worry of an upset tummy! (Or busting a diet!)
And it is so so SO good.
I crave this pizza and once you try it, you will too!
The Critics Agree…this is the BEST Sweet Potato Pizza
Originally published in 2015, this is one of our all-time most popular recipes!
We’ve also gotten tons of awesome feedback from readers who’ve tried our sweet potato crust, so I’ve added our favorite reader-submitted ideas and questions later in the post!
Why We Used Sweet Potatoes for the Crust
What makes this pizza different from other gluten free pizza recipes? Well, for one, sweet potatoes are super good for you!
Just a couple of the health benefits of sweet potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes provide a whopping 214% daily value of Vitamin A and 52% daily value of Vitamin C!
- Plus they’re a good source of manganese, B vitamins, biotin, fiber, and potassium! (Source)
So this is not only a recipe that fits into a gluten free or dairy free lifestyle, it’s actually a healthy pizza for anyone!
Another reason that we used sweet potatoes to make our pizza crust is that they create a fabulous texture and they’re gluten free!
It’s such a flavorful, hearty dish that you won’t even “miss” the real thing! And you feel good after eating it!
What you need to make sweet potato pizza crust:
Affiliate links provided for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; disclosure policy here.)
- Sweet potatoes
- Almond flour
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Garlic powder
- Apple cider vinegar
Our Pizza Toppings:
- Barbecue sauce
- Tomato sauce
- Shredded rotisserie chicken (pre-cooked) – click here to learn how to make your own easy and thrifty rotisserie style chicken at home!
- Chopped spinach
- Red onion, sliced and sautéed
How to make sweet potato pizza crust
Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
Cook sweet potatoes in microwave until soft, peel, and add to a large mixing bowl with almond flour, egg, salt, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, and apple cider vinegar.
(For an extra kick, add a pinch of chili powder.)
Mash ingredients until well combined and the mixture takes on a doughy consistency.
Remove from oven and spread a mixture of barbecue and tomato sauce on top of the crust.
Layer with chicken, spinach, and red onion. Return pizza to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes with toppings.
Remove from oven and drizzle with BBQ sauce.
Full printable recipe available for free at the bottom of the post. Click here to jump to printable recipe.
Can you cook the sweet potatoes in advance?
Absolutely! If you do meal planning, this recipe is perfect because you can cook the sweet potatoes at the beginning of the week, refrigerate, and use them to make the crust on the day you’re planning to serve pizza.
Simply cook the sweet potatoes, cool, and store in the fridge until ready to use. Cooked sweet potatoes last up to 5 days refrigerated.
How can I make the pizza crust crispier?
You can see from the photos there is a beautiful crispness to the edge of the sweet potato crust. It holds up really well with as many ingredients as we piled on, though it’s probably easiest to eat with a fork.
However, if you’re craving an extra crispy crust, this reader submitted tip works great:
- After cooking sweet potato crust for 30 minutes, flip and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes to get it extra crispy. Then add your toppings and cook as normal.
What can I use instead of almond flour?
If you don’t have almond flour on hand, or prefer to use something else, you can substitute all-purpose gluten free flour.
More of our favorite sweet potato recipes:
- Loaded Sweet Potato Donuts
- Homemade Sweet Potato Pie
- Scalloped Sweet Potatoes with Candied Pecans
- Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese
- Apple Pie Sweet Potato Donuts
Grab a Printable Copy of this Recipe:
If you love this recipe, rate it! Or tell us what you think in the comments below.
Healthy Sweet Potato Pizza with BBQ Chicken - Gluten Free, Non Dairy
- Pizza Stone
Sweet potato crust ingredients:
- 3 sweet potatoes medium
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup pre-cooked rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
To make the sweet potato crust:
- Pre-heat oven to 400°.
- Cook sweet potatoes in microwave until soft.
- Peel sweet potatoes and add to large mixing bowl with almond flour, egg, salt, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, and apple cider vinegar. (For an extra kick, add a pinch of chili powder.) Mash ingredients until well combined and the mixture takes on a doughy consistency.
- Use rubber spatula to spread on a Pizza Stone (you could also use a Silicon Baking Mat or greased baking sheet.)
- Cook dough at 400° for 30 minutes.
To finish the sweet potato crust pizza:
- While pizza dough is baking: shred 1 cup of pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, chop 1 cup spinach, and sauté one thinly sliced medium red onion until soft.
- Remove pizza dough from oven and spread 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup tomato sauce on top.
- Cover pizza with shredded rotisserie chicken, chopped spinach, and red onions. Drizzle with barbecue sauce.
- Return pizza to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
Pin our healthy sweet potato pizza recipe on Pinterest:
More of our favorite healthy gluten free pizza recipes: