With wiggly arms and heart-shaped eyes, this cheerful Love Bug Valentine Craft is as cute as it gets! This easy Valentine’s Day craft for kids is perfect for all ages and can be personalized with a child’s photo.
Love Bugs for Valentine’s Day
As soon as New Year’s was over, my four-year-old asked, “what’s the next holiday?!”
For us, it’s Valentine’s Day — and our stores are already full of candy and craft displays. We were in Target earlier this week and found some cute craft supplies that were just too good not to grab.
We created this Love Bug Valentines Craft with all of our new Valentine’s Day goodies. However, you can easily customize your own love bug card with the supplies you already have on hand at home.
Related: Be sure to check out our BIG list of Valentine’s Day Crafts for Kids too! There are over 20 fun and easy ideas that kids can really make themselves!
What is a Love Bug?
Real life love bugs are not nearly so cute as our glittery creation. They’re black and kind of plain looking — they’re actually in the fly family!
However, love bug pairs spend days together during and after mating — they even remain stuck together while they fly around! If you live in the south, then you’re probably already familiar with “love bug season” where swarms of them buzz around outside.
Though they’re not very cute, perhaps love bugs deserve a little of our respect for their dedication to each other!
I still prefer the glittery love bugs though 😉
What You Need to Make Our Love Bug Valentine
Note: Affiliate links are included for your convenience in purchasing the items used to make our Valentines Day love bugs; read our disclosure policy here.
- Glitter heart cut-out — We found these awesome glitter heart cutouts at Target in their seasonal section. If you can’t find these exact ones that we used, don’t worry! You can also cut out hearts from cardboard and decorate them!
- Red cardstock
- Google eyes — We found the heart shaped eyes at Target, but this set of assorted google eyes on Amazon has lots of different colors and sizes.
- Pipe cleaners — We used black and white striped pipe cleaners, but any Valentine’s themed color would look cute!
- Glue gun— If doing this craft with a large group, craft glue would also work (and be safer for kids to use) instead of hot glue.
- Black marker
- Child’s photograph
We Recommend: This Valentine’s Day craft pack has a lot of fun decorating supplies similar to ours that you could use to make your Love Bug craft. Much easier and probably more cost effective than trying to round up everything separately!
How to Make Love Bugs for Valentine’s Day
First, make your love bug’s body. If you don’t have the glitter heart cutouts like we used, create your own by cutting a 6″ heart out of sturdy cardboard and decorating with glitter, foil, etc.
Next, add googly eyes and draw on a mouth, nose, and eyelashes using a black marker or paint pen. We also found these adorable heart-shaped googly eyes at Target.
Fold one pipe cleaner in half, then fold up the ends to form feet. Glue the bend of the pipe cleaner to the underside of your love bug’s body to form the legs.
Cut a second pipe cleaner in half and glue to the back of your love bug’s body to form the arms. Then bend your arms in front of your love bug so that you can glue your photo and note to them.
Cut out your child’s photo into the shape of a heart, about 2″ big. Cut out a piece of red or pink card stock the same size as your child’s photo. Glue them to the front of your love bug’s arms.
Feel free to customize your love bug with your own personalized message!
Love Bug Valentine Craft Printable Instructions
3D Love Bug Valentine Craft
- Black Marker
- Red cardstock
- Child's photo
- Google eyes
- Pipe cleaners
- Glitter, foil, etc. for decorating
- Make your love bug's body using glitter heart cut-outs or by cutting a 6" heart out of sturdy cardboard and decorating with glitter, foil, etc.
- Add googly eyes and draw on a mouth, nose, and eyelashes using a black marker or paint pen.
- Fold one pipe cleaner in half, then fold up the ends outwards to form feet. Glue the bend of the pipe cleaner to the underside of your love bug's body, as the legs.
- Cut a second pipe cleaner in half and glue to the back of your love bug's body to form the arms. Then bend your arms around towards the front of your love bug so that you can glue your photo and note to them.
- Cut out your child's photo into the shape of a heart, about 2" in size. Cut out a piece of red or pink card stock the same size as your child's photo. Glue them to the front of your love bug's arms.
- Customize your love bug with your own personalized message!