Go from grungy to gleaming in 30 minutes or less with these easy fridge cleaning hacks! Sponsored by Bounty.
5 Fridge Cleaning Hacks that Can Save You Money (Including an Amazon Deal for Bounty Paper Towels!)
I’m not going to lie, cleaning out the refrigerator is one of my least favorite chores. However, over time our fridge seems to get fuller and fuller until there is hardly any space left! Dirt and grime also builds up, so it isn’t the most appetizing place to store food.
I’m almost embarrassed to show the “before” photo…
Why it’s important to deep clean your refrigerator regularly:
- An overstuffed fridge need more energy to keep cool, so it costs more money on your energy bill.
- Too much food could mean that your fridge is not the ideal temperature, so food may spoil faster.
- Spills are breeding grounds for yucky germs and bacteria.
So not only is a dirty fridge a health risk, it could actually be costing you money with higher energy bills and wasted groceries!
That’s all the convincing we needed to tackle our full-to-the-brim fridge — and we were pleasantly surprised that it didn’t take as long as we expected!
How to Deep Clean Your Fridge in 30 Minutes or Less
This is how we deep clean our fridge fast. Repeat this simple step-by-step process every 3-6 months for a fridge that stays clean and organized all year long! (And it won’t take you long to do it!)
1. Remove everything from fridge. Yep, everything!
TIP: Close the door while you sort to avoid losing all of the cold air inside.
First, start by throwing away all expired items. You’d be surprised how much old and outdated food is probably lurking in your fridge! (I think we threw away at least half of the items in our fridge!)
Next, sort usable items by type: produce, condiments, dairy, etc. That way everything is organized and all you’ll need to do is place items back inside.
2. Remove crisper drawers for easier cleaning
Removing all drawers and door shelves (where possible) allows you to clean inside and under them with ease. I couldn’t believe the yucky stuff that was lurking underneath our drawers, invisible until we took everything out of the way!
To clean fridge drawers:
- Remove from fridge and place in sink (or take outside)
- Fill bottom of each drawer with 1/2″ warm, lightly soapy water.
- Allow to soak for about 5 minutes.
- Scrub with Bounty paper towels, rinse, wipe dry.
We choose Bounty Paper Towels because they are twice as absorbent* as the leading paper towel brand, so we use less for the same cleaning tasks! And if you’re planning on a deep clean like us, be sure to stock up on the NEW Bounty Quick-Size Paper Towels, available on Amazon, like we did. Right now you can save up to $7 on this stock-up – so keep reading to see how you can score this sweet deal!
Another thing our house loves about Bounty Quick-Size Paper Towels is that they are super durable, so they hold up to all the tough scrubbing we put them through — whether it’s deep cleaning the refrigerator for our spring cleaning or wiping down the counters after dinner every night.
3. Wipe down shelves
With everything out of the way, it’s easy to clean fridge shelves. Use a food-safe cleaning spray or good old baking soda and vinegar solution.
Wipe clean with Bounty Quick-Size Paper Towels and allow to dry before putting anything back in the fridge.
4. Line shelves & drawers with Bounty paper towels
We keep a lot of fresh produce on hand, usually more than fits in our crisper drawers. Our bottom shelf is dedicated to produce too, however it always kind of gives me the willies when my husband just tosses celery stalks, etc. on the bare shelf.
That’s why I started placing a protective lining of Bounty Quick-Size Paper Towels on the produce shelf – they allow you to choose exactly the amount you need for each shelf and drawer! Doing this keeps moisture from building up on the shelf and helps keep produce cleaner.
5. Put everything back
Now that you’ve done the “hard” part, simply place your items back in the fridge. They’re already grouped by kind so it should only take a couple minutes.
What a difference 30 minutes made! Take a look at the “after” photo:
How I stock up on Bounty Quick-Size Paper Towels
Like I said earlier, the NEW Bounty Quick-Size Paper Towels are available at Amazon.com!
If your house is anything like ours, we go through paper towels like crazy! One pack of Bounty Quick-Size Paper Towels contains 16 Family Rolls, which equals 40 Regular Rolls. That’s a LOT of cleaning power!
In fact, one 16-pack of Bounty Quick-Size Family Rolls can last up to 6 months for a family of 5 like ours.
Right now you can save BIG by combining a $2 Amazon coupon with a $5 Bounty promo code (5QUICKBOUNTY) for total savings of $7!
How to get the savings:
- Click here to go directly to the product page.
- When we purchased, there was a special $2 coupon offer noted under the product price on the product page. If you see a green button (will say something like “Extra $2 off coupon”), simply click it before you click “Add to Cart.”
- At checkout, enter code 5QUICKBOUNTY in the field marked “Gift Cards/Promotional Codes” to get an additional $5 off your purchase price (Bounty Quick-Size 16-count only).
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bounty. The opinions and text are all mine.
If you liked these fridge cleaning hacks, be sure to check out more of our favorite home hacks:
30 Awesome Organization Hacks for the Whole Home
- Gatorade Slushy Recipe - June 1, 2023
- 5 Hacks to Keep Produce Fresher Longer - May 31, 2023
- Frozen Hawaiian Punch Slush - May 30, 2023
Isadora Guidoni says
Thanks for sharing these hacks! I’ll sure try them right away!