This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Ocala/Marion County VCB. All opinions are 100% mine.
Inside: A helpful list of free things to do in Florida for families – perfect for traveling on a budget!
Who says you can’t travel on a budget and still have fun?
Traveling as a family can get pricey — plane tickets, hotel stays, expensive activities. But it doesn’t have to be that way!
Free Things To Do in Florida for Families (Ocala/Marion County)
One of our favorite travel destinations is Ocala/Marion County Florida. Here’s why:
- Ocala/Marion County, Florida is easily accessible in driving distance of most of the Southeast United States. That means you don’t need to worry about plane fare, which often eats up the majority of a travel budget.
- Ocala/Marion County, Florida offers many of the same amenities as more well-known vacation destinations, but without the premium prices.
15 Free Family Activities in Ocala/Marion County Florida
- Florida Safari at Silver Springs State Park — On the first Sunday of each month, the park team leads a tram tour of the longleaf pine forest. You might spot white-tailed deer, Gopher Tortoises, Sherman’s fox squirrels, or wild turkey.
- Farmstead Weekend at Crones’ Cradle Conserve — Every Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Crones’ Cradle Conserve offers a free tour of their working vegetable and herb farm. Plants, produce, books, and crafts are available for purchase at the farm store.
- Sunday Ranger Program at Silver Springs State Park — Each Sunday, join a ranger program to learn about the park and Florida’s natural environment. There’s a new topic each week!
- Line Dancing at the Forest Community Center — On Wednesday nights at the Forest Community Center at Sandhill Park, join a a free two-hour program for beginners. Learn to line dance and get some great exercise for the whole family!
- Octoberfest at Tuscawilla Park — Come enjoy music, food and fun at this annual event. General admission is free and VIP packages are available for purchase.
- First Friday Art Walk in Downtown Ocala — Every Friday from 6-9 p.m. (September through May), stroll through 15 downtown blocks to experience local performing and visual artists.
- Hiking in Florida state parks — Take your pick from dozens of parks and nature areas to conquer!
- Birdwatching — Learn more about the species in Ocala/Marion County here.
- Fishing in Ocala/Marion County freshwater lakes — You’ll find some of the best bass in Ocala/Marion County, all while enjoying the majestic beauty of the many lakes and rivers in the area.
- After Dark in the Park Movies — Bring a blanket or lawn chair and enjoy a family friendly movie under the stars in Ocala! Check the events page for upcoming showings. Find great places to stay: Ocala/Marion County Lodging for upcoming showings.
- Fun at the Park at Sholom Park — Located in Ocala, Sholom Park offers complimentary admission 365 days a year during daylight hours. Visit Sholom Park’s website for more information about special events.
- Equiventures at Florida Horse Park — Equiventures hosts four exciting equestrian events a year and admission for spectators is free. Ocala/Marion County is known as The Horse Capital of the World™, so it’s an awesome destination for horse enthusiasts!
- Ocala Christmas Parade — Held in early December; check the events page for exact date and find more Ocala/Marion County Activities here!
- Marion County Fair — Held each year in the fall, the Marion County Fair features over a week of family friendly fun, contents, and events.
- Picking’ in the Park at Silver Springs State Park — At this once a month event, enjoy local musicians performing acoustic sets. Admission to the show is free with paid park entrance.
*Note: Events are subject to change or cancellation. Check events page for current schedule and Ocala/Marion County Activities for more fun, free, or inexpensive things to do during your stay!
Want to know more about one of Florida’s best-kept travel secrets? Click here to learn more about Florida Travel!
More of our favorite travel posts:
Last updated on October 6th, 2017 at 10:43 am