If you love homemade play dough, then you’ve got to try this silky smooth cloud dough recipe! With two simple household ingredients, you can create an incredibly soft and soothing dough for hours of sensory play!
What is Cloud Dough?
Cloud dough gets its name from its texture — this might just be the softest, smoothest play dough EVER! It’s incredibly silky to the touch, so it is especially soothing to play with.
What I love about cloud dough is that it only takes two ingredients that you likely already have at home! It doesn’t get any easier than that!
There are a few different variations of cloud dough — you may see it made with lotion, hair conditioner, or even baby oil.
We used hair conditioner to make our cloud dough because we had an extra bottle on hand. however, we’ll also tell you how to make cloud dough with lotion!
Related: Be sure to try our Microwave Play Dough recipe too! It’s super easy, ready in minutes, and lasts for weeks!
Cloud Dough Ingredients
All you need are these two simple ingredients!
- Hair conditioner
How to Make Cloud Dough with Hair Conditioner
Combine conditioner and cornstarch in a large mixing bowl and stir until dough begins to form.
To make colorful cloud dough, add food coloring to conditioner before adding the cornstarch. Once your conditioner is a smooth, even color, add cornstarch and mix as normal.
Finish kneading by hand until dough is no longer sticky.
We used 1 cup of conditioner and 2 cups of cornstarch, but you can make a bigger or smaller batch by adjusting the amounts. All you need to do is make sure to stick to a ratio of 1 part conditioner to 2 parts cornstarch.
- If dough is too sticky, add more cornstarch a Tablespoon at a time until it no longer sticks to hands.
- To prevent dough from sticking to hands, coat hands in coconut oil before playing.
- You can use any conditioner! Cheap conditioner works great — you don’t need to spend a lot of money to make this!
- Can’t find cornstarch? It might also be called corn flour, depending where you live.
How to Store Cloud Dough
This homemade silky play dough can last for at least a week if you keep it in a sealed airtight container. Either a ziplock bag or a storage container will work just perfectly!
To make your play dough last as long as possible, always wash hands before playing.
If your dough starts to dry out, you can work in a bit more conditioner to revive it!
Discard your dough if it shows any signs of mold.
How to Make Cloud Dough with Lotion
If you don’t have enough extra hair conditioner on hand, you can make cloud dough using lotion instead.
Simply use the same amount of lotion as you would hair conditioner and mix according to the directions.
ALL of our Favorite Play Dough Recipes in One Place!
NEW!! Now you can get all of our most popular homemade play dough recipes in one convenient printable ebook!
What’s Inside: In our homemade play dough recipe book, you’ll find everything from seasonal play dough, to edible play dough made with taste-safe ingredients.
There are 10 unique play dough recipes that you can make with simple ingredients you probably already have at home!
- Click here to get the Homemade Play Dough Recipe bundle! (Pssst…Save 20% on your first order with code 20NEW at checkout!)
Cloud Dough Recipe (Printable Copy)
2-Ingredient Cloud Dough
- 1 cup hair conditioner
- 2 cups corn starch
- Add conditioner and cornstarch to a large mixing bowl and stir until dough begins to form.
- For colorful dough, stir in a few drops of food coloring with conditioner BEFORE adding cornstarch, then continue mixing as normal.
- Finish kneading by hand until dough is no longer sticky.
Pin this Silky Smooth Play Dough Recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: