This tutorial to deodorize kitchen garbage cans is brought to you by Hefty® — Read on for 4 simple ways to get odors out…and keep them out!
When I wake up in the morning I head straight to the kitchen. Do not stop, do not pass “GO,” etc. Nothing gets in the way of me and my coffee.
And then…BAM!! As I round the corner from the living room, I’m almost knocked off my feet by a foul-smelling odor snaking it’s way from the kitchen trash can. I slowly remember— we had salmon for dinner last night…and we forgot to take out the trash before bed.
Now what?! The smell is so horrendous I worry that I’ll never be able to get rid of it!
Fortunately, I’ve figured out a system to deodorize kitchen garbage cans that is practical and do-able.
4 Steps to Deodorize Kitchen Garbage Cans
1. Deep Clean
The first step to deodorize kitchen garbage cans is to do a deep clean. Once you’ve gotten rid of the culprit behind the foul odor, you can stick to maintenance steps below.
I usually take the (empty) trash can out to the back yard where I hose it down both inside and out. Then I stand the trash can up and fill with about six inches of water. To this water, add either:
- 1 cup bleach -OR-
- 1 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup baking soda (mix inside the trash can as it will bubble up)
Use a cleaning sponge or brush to remove any residue from inside trash can (be sure to wear gloves while doing so). Rinse well and wipe dry or allow to air dry.
2. First line of defense: Hefty® Ultra Strong™ trash bags
Once you’ve done a deep clean to deodorize kitchen garbage cans, the best way to stop odors from coming back is by preventing them from happening in the first place. There are two reasons I choose Hefty® Ultra Strong™ trash bags as my first line of defense against trash can odors:
- Hefty® Ultra Strong™ has active tear resistant technology and a break resistant grip drawstring. In the past when I’ve used other trash bags, I’ll find that they’ve torn and leaked liquids and gunk into the bottom of the can. If you don’t know your bag has a leak, this can lead to some pretty nasty odors in just a day or two!
- Hefty® bags are made with ARM & HAMMER™ patented odor neutralizer, so they work to stop odors immediately. This also helps keep odors from infiltrating your outdoor garbage can when you take the trash out. Fresh scent options make your trash can smell, dare I say it, delicious!
But don’t just take my word for it — wrestler/actor John Cena is also a huge fan of Hefty® Ultra Strong™. Together, they’ve brought back the classic “Hefty! Hefty! Hefty!” slogan in a series of hilarious (really!) commercials. I remember the catchy Hefty® ads from my childhood, so this was a fun bit of nostalgia, cleverly updated with one of the most popular stars of today.
I actually LOLed when I watched this one — John Cena is really funny! Plus, he’s not too hard on the eyes… Check it out:
3. Wipe down every night
This only takes a couple minutes, but is such a good thing to make a part of your nightly cleaning routine. A quick wipe prevents any spills, drips, or crumbs from building-up over time and creating unpleasant smells or a breeding ground for germs. If you make this a habit, your monthly deep clean will be a breeze!
4. Deodorizing Puck for long term freshness
For extra odor defense, I love these DIY Deodorizing Pucks. They’re made with all-natural ingredients and last for weeks. Simply drop one in the bottom of you can and replace as needed, or when you do your monthly deep clean.
Here’s the simple tutorial for DIY Deodorizing Pucks, courtesy of Nemcsok Farms.
A trash can is a must-have in any kitchen, but odors are not! If you follow these simple steps to deodorize kitchen garbage cans, you’ll be rid of unwanted smells once and for all!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Hefty® Ultra Strong™ trash bags.
For more home hacks, follow my Life Made Easier Pinterest board: