How exciting would it be to see your child’s artwork featured on Google?! That dream will come true for one lucky winner in the 2019 Doodle for Google art contest! Keep reading for all the details and how to enter Doodle for Google 2019.
We received this sponsored opportunity from Google as a part of the Forward Influence Network. We are grateful for partnerships like these!
Calling All Young Artists!
As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be an artist!
Art was my favorite class, and I studied art all the way through high school. Even though it wasn’t the focus of my college degree, I ended up with an artistic career. Every day I am so lucky in that I get to express my creativity through my blog — with writing, photography, and graphic design. I love my job!
I remember our elementary school had a t-shirt design content each year, where one student’s design was printed on t-shirts that the school sold.
I never won, but nonetheless I had a blast entering and waiting to see who did win! It was contests like these that really got me excited about art and the possibilities of what art could do for your life.
That’s why I’m so excited to share with you the details of the Doodle for Google art contest! If this had been around when I was a kid, I would have entered every year!
What is Doodle for Google?
Doodle for Google is a yearly art contest for students in grades K-12.
The winner of the Doodle for Google contest will have their artwork featured on Google.com — how exciting is that?? Every second, there are 40,000 searches on Google, so that is a LOT of people to see the winner’s work!
What are Google Doodles?
From Google: “Doodles are the fun, surprising, and sometimes spontaneous changes that are made to the Google logo to celebrate holidays, anniversaries, and the lives of famous artists, pioneers, and scientists.”
You probably notice them from time to time when you go to Google.com to search for something. It’s always such a fun surprise to discover a new doodle!
Just imagine how exciting it would be to have your kid’s artwork featured on Google.com as the doodle of the day!
How to Enter Doodle for Google 2019 Art Content
The 2019 Doodle for Google Theme is: “When I grow up, I hope…”
- Create a unique doodle that represents this year’s theme. You can use any art technique or materials you like!
- Write an artist statement to describe your doodle and what the theme means to you. You’ll also need to complete the artist information section on the entry form.
- Submit using the official entry form here. The contest is open for entries until March 18, 2019 8:00pm Pacific Time (PT).
How Doodles Are Judged
Google has put a lot of careful thought and consideration into this contest, so that it is fair for all entrants. Doodlers are grouped by age, plus the public and the doodlers themselves get to help choose finalists, so everyone is involved in the process.
Here’s a quick breakdown of how the Doodle for Google contest works.
This year’s guest judges are:
- Jimmy Fallon – host of “The Tonight Show”
- Kermit the Frog
- Mandy Manning – 2018 National Teacher of the Year
Doodles are judged based on three criteria:
- Artistic merit — talent and artistic skill
- Creativity — how well the doodle represents the theme, as well as a unique use of the letters in the Google logo
- Theme communication — how well the child expressed the theme in both their doodle and written statement.
The contest is divided into 5 groups, by grade:
- Grades K-3
- Grades 4-5
- Grades 6-7
- Grades 8-9
- Grades 10-12
There will be at least 10 state and territory winners and one national finalist from each grade group – more details on those follow.
There are three competition levels:
- State and Territory Winners — Chosen by the guest judges and Google Doodlers, there are 53 state and territory winners. These entries will be displayed in a special gallery on the Doodle for Google website, and are up for consideration to be a national finalist. One winner will be selected from each of the 50 U.S. states, as well as one each from Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, and Guam.
- National Finalists — For 5 days, the U.S. public is able to vote for their favorite doodle from the state and territory winners displayed on the Doodle for Google website. From these votes, 5 national finalists will be chosen.
- National WINNER — A panel of Google execs will choose one national winner from the 5 national finalists. The winner will be announced the first week of June 2019.
Note: Children of military personnel abroad can enter and will be judged with applications from their home state.
Doodle for Google Prizes
Of course this is the really exciting part! The Doodle for Google contest is an amazing opportunity for aspiring young artists to get their work seen, as well as earn money to further their education.
1 National Winner Receives:
- A $30,000 college scholarship
- A $50,000 technology package for their school or non-profit organization
- A trip to Google headquarters in California
- Google hardware & cool Google swag
But the best part of all: the national winner’s artwork will be featured on Google.com for one day!
4 National Finalists Receive:
- A $5,000 college scholarship
- A trip to Google headquarters in California
- Google hardware & Google swag
The four non-winning national finalists will also have their doodles displayed in the online gallery.
Let’s get creating!
Are you excited yet??
The contest is open for entries until March 18, 2019 8:00pm (PT), so there is still plenty of time to enter!
You can see some of our own favorite kids activities, arts, and craft ideas here for inspiration, then click here to enter the Doodle for Google contest!
You might also like:
Last updated on March 9th, 2019 at 07:18 pm
Have you ever thought about starting a blog of your own? Click here to find out more!
Follow the Soccer Mom Blog on Pinterest - Facebook- Twitter - Instagram