Let your culinary imagination run wild with this over-the-top spectacular Mermaid Freakshake!
“Ariel” Mermaid Freakshake
Have you tried a freakshake yet??
It’s a fairly new dessert trend, but it’s gotten lots of attention – and you can see why! Layers and layers of goodies piled on top of a decadent milkshake – it’s an experience that’s guaranteed to leave a lasting impression.
This Mermaid Freakshake is inspired by Ariel (one of my favorite Disney characters) and is perfect for a special birthday treat. Imagine the look on your favorite little mermaid when they see this!!
Related: Go all out and make our Mermaid cupcakes too!
What is a Freakshake?
One of the best descriptions I’ve seen comes from The Guardian, which calls freakshakes “a monstrous mashup of a drink and dessert.” But in a good way of course!
These wild and crazy concoctions originated a few years ago in Australia, and because of their popularity on social media have spread around the globe. They’re definitely photo-worthy!
Ice cream shops and food bloggers alike have been on a mission to find and/or create the most unique and over-the-top freakshakes — from the biggest and the tallest, to the most interesting themes, like this gorgeous and glittery Mermaid Freakshake!
Of course they are pretty ridiculous, but you’ve got to consider that a freak shake is all about the experience. Plus you can share them!
How to Make a Mermaid Freakshake
Keep reading for photo step-by-step tutorial, plus bonus prep tips. A free printable copy of the full recipe is available at the bottom of the post. Click here to skip to printable recipe – though I recommend taking a look at the photos too so you can see how it’s done.
Note: For your convenience, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the supplies used to make our mermaid freak shake; read our full disclosure policy here.
Here’s a step-by-step look at how we decorated the mug:
We used a butter knife to spread the white frosting around the rim of the glass. Pull down with the knife to create a dripping effect.
Next, cover the white frosting on your glass with mermaid-colored sprinkles (you can purchase here or make your own by combining light green, light blue, and purple sprinkles/jimmies).
You can affix sprinkles to the mug in a couple different ways:
- Pour sprinkles onto a small plate and carefully roll the part of the mug that’s coated with frosting in the sprinkles so that they stick to the sides. (Much like when you salt the rim of a margarita glass).
- Press sprinkles gently by hand into the frosting.
We also added a few purple candy shells, star fish, and pearls to the frosting. (In the photo you’ll notice that the glass is already filled with milkshake, however, we decorated the glass first).
Once you’ve decorated your mug, chill in freezer until ready to use.
After we decorated our mug, we prepared all of the freak shake toppings:
- Rock candy sticks and lollipops (these are are already ready to go!)
- Colored chocolate and Nerds covered sticks (we made these by coating bamboo skewers with white frosting and placing the candies on them).
- Mermaid tails, stars, and seashells (we pre-made these using colored fondant and a sea life fondant mold set).
After you’ve decorated your mug (which is now chilling in the freezer) and prepped all your candy decorations, it’s time to make the milkshake! (See printable recipe below).
TIP: Make it dairy-free by substituting your favorite non-dairy ice cream and milk.
Pour milkshake into your mug and place the donut on top of the rim. Now slide all your candy sticks through the middle of the donut – there’s no “right” way to do it – decorate so it looks good to you!
Cover with whipped cream and sprinkles and enjoy right away.
Pin this Mermaid Freakshake on Pinterest:
Grab a free copy of our Mermaid Freakshake recipe:
If you love this recipe, rate it! You can also tell us what you think in the comments below.
"Ariel" Mermaid Freakshake
Toppings & Decorations
- 1 can white frosting
- mermaid sprinkles
- 1 purple fondant
- 1 teal fondant
- purple candy melts purple, light blue, green
- 1 glazed donut blue frosting
- 2 rock candy sticks dark blue, light blue
- 1 Nerds rope berry flavor, cut in half
- 1 swirl lollipop berry flavor
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 5 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 2 Tablespoons blue raspberry syrup
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- First, decorate your glass by spreading white frosting around the rim of the mug, then coating in mermaid sprinkles and edible pearls. Chill mug in freezer while you make your milkshake.
- Combine ice cream, blue raspberry syrup and milk into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour shake into your decorated mug, then place donut on top of the rim of the glass.
- Slide your candy sticks, lollipops, etc. into glass through the middle of the donut.
- Cover donut with whipped cream and add more sprinkles. Enjoy immediately.
More of our favorite mermaid desserts:
- Cowboy Caviar - March 24, 2023
- Bunny Bait - March 22, 2023
- 20 Thrifty Kitchen Hacks - March 21, 2023
[…] Mermaid Freakshake […]