“Nothing went according to plan! We ended up fighting most of the time.”
This was my close friend’s description of her wedding anniversary weekend. She and her husband planned a relaxing “staycation,” but it turned out a disaster.
Hearing the recap, it honestly didn’t sound that bad to me as an outsider. However, my friend had been looking forward to this anniversary weekend for quite some time. It was a big deal, and it was a big disappointment.
As so often happens with special occasions, the actual day often doesn’t live up to expectations. We spend days, weeks, or even months planning and imagining until it is almost impossible that the day even could meet what we’ve visualized in our mind.
My friend’s story reminded me of my own wedding anniversary a few months prior. Just like my friend, I had planned a romantic staycation for my husband and I. We would start with dinner at a fancy sushi restaurant and finish at a luxurious hotel.
Except our hotel wasn’t luxurious as billed. And our rich dinner made me ill and I spent the evening in considerable discomfort. It was definitely not the anniversary I had imagined.
At least I was able to commiserate with my friend about disappointing anniversary weekends!
Which got me thinking…
What if we made a point to celebrate our marriage every day? It wouldn’t have to be a big daily celebration, but what if you did one little thing every day to remind your spouse how much they mean to you?
You don’t need to spend much (or any!) money to show your love and appreciation. You might also be surprised just how much your spouse will enjoy this. My husband is definitely a “manly” man, but I know that there is a sensitive heart in there that secretly loves sappy cards and the like. So give it a try!
15 (FREE) Ways to Celebrate Your Marriage Every Day:
For a FREE Printable version of this image, click here: Free Marriage Printable!
Why Celebrate Your Marriage Every Day?
- Waiting for anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, etc. to show your love and appreciation can get us in a marriage rut. You might even go days without saying “I love you” and not even realize it! Or you’re just going through the motions. Being intentional about showing love every day will keep it fresh and real.
- Less importance is placed on big occasions, meaning there is less chance for disappointment when those days don’t live up to our fantasy expectations.
- Your spouse needs to be celebrated every day…and so do you! You’ll be actively strengthening your marriage every single day. You might even find that you argue less, or resolve arguments sooner.
PS – Be sure to grab this FREE Workbook: 10 Days to Divorce-Proof Your Marriage!
For more marriage inspiration from the best family bloggers on the web, follow my Love & Marriage Pinterest board:
Follow Stacey @ The Soccer Mom Blog’s board Love & Marriage on Pinterest.
- Why We Take Our Shoes Off In The House - March 27, 2023
- Cowboy Caviar - March 24, 2023
- Bunny Bait - March 22, 2023
Leave a Reply