What’s inside: A home mosquito trap that works, plus ways to protect your family from mosquito-borne diseases without chemical insecticides. Sponsored by Zevo.
Spring is in the air — and unfortunately, so are mosquitoes.
Not only are mosquito bites annoying, they can also be dangerous. Diseases transmitted by mosquitoes affect over 700 million people worldwide every year. (Source) The following is a list of the most common diseases transmitted by mosquitoes:
- West Nile Virus
- La Crosse Encephalitis
- Western Equine Encephalitis (despite the name, it also affects humans)
- Yellow Fever
Source: Minnesota Department of Health
How to Protect your Family from Mosquitoes (without Chemical Insecticides)
Living in Texas, mosquitoes are a part of life. Myself and my youngest daughter are especially sensitive to mosquito bites and get large welts. I’m always looking for ways to get rid of these pervasive pests!
Since I’d rather not to douse my family and home with chemical insecticides, I sought out safer alternatives. But some non-toxic options work much better than others!
Did you know? The itchy red bump left by a mosquito bite isn’t actually caused by the bite itself. The irritation is a result of the skin’s allergic reaction to the mosquito’s saliva. (Source)
To protect my family naturally from disease-carrying mosquitoes, I use the following:
- Zevo Flying Insect Trap at home
- Natural mosquito repellants when we leave the house
Zevo chemical insecticide-free mosquito trap for home
The Zevo Flying Insect Trap is an effortless and effective mosquito killer for the home. It attracts and traps mosquitoes, houseflies, moths, fruit flies, gnats, and more — without the use of chemical insecticides.
How it works:
The Zevo Flying Insect Trap utilizes simple, natural science for a mosquito control solution that feels much safer than chem
Zevo works by using insects’ natural instincts against them. No need to spray toxic repellents or chase bugs around the house trying to kill them. Zevo does all the work for you — worry-free!
Insects like mosquitoes are naturally attracted to light. Rather than repelling mosquitos, the Zevo flying insect trap emits UV and blue light bio-attractants that mosquitos just can’t resist.
As long as the Zevo is plugged in, it continuously entices and traps insects into a super-sticky adhesive backing. So instead of looking for a human feast, the mosquitoes head towards the Zevo trap!
Simply plug the Zevo into a wall outlet in an area of the house where mosquitoes frequent, like the entryway. Mosquitoes are drawn towards the light, and get stuck in the adhesive trap. There are no chemical odors, no annoying “zapping” noises, and you never have to touch any bugs.
I love that the Zevo is unobtrusive — it’s about the same size and similar in appearance to an air-freshener plugin. The soft blue glow can also double as a night-light for areas like bedrooms, hallways, and bathrooms.
The Zevo mosquito trap stays sticky for months, though replacing every 30 days ensures maximum effectiveness.
Keep reading for your chance to win a Zevo starter kit for your own home!
Natural mosquito repellents
When you leave the house, you can still protect your family without covering them in chemicals.
- The CDC recommends applying Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus topically as an alternative to Deet. (Note: Do not ingest or use on children younger than 3).
- Long-sleeved clothing and pants keep mosquitoes away from skin and make it more difficult to bite. Avoid spandex in mosquito-heavy areas, as they can still bite through it. Keep feet covered, as some types of mosquitoes are actually attracted to the smell of feet. (Sounds wild, but it’s true!)
- Citronella and peppermint oil are often touted as natural repellents, but studies show they are marginally effective at best.
CLICK HERE for more information about the Zevo Flying Insect Trap or to purchase.
Just in case, be sure to have a batch of our Homemade Itch Relief Spray for Bug Bites on hand:
Latest posts by Stacey aka the Soccer Mom (see all)
- Ham and Cheese Croquettes (Croquetas de Jamón y Queso) - November 20, 2019
- 34 Easy Cricut Christmas Crafts - November 20, 2019
- German Chocolate Fudge - November 19, 2019
Last updated on May 15th, 2018 at 03:12 pm