Inside: What you’ll find out using a MyHeritage DNA Test Kit and how it stacks up against other DNA tests. This post is sponsored by BabbleBoxx.com.
Have you ever wondered where your family came from?
I think most of us probably have a general idea, but do you really know the specifics?
My husband has always been curious about his background because there are a few missing links on his family tree. When we were given the opportunity to review a MyHeritage DNA Test Kit, I knew that he should be the one to do it.
Fortunately, our curiosity did not have to wait long! The results arrived quicker than expected and were actually pretty surprising!
Keep reading for an honest review of what to expect with a MyHeritage DNA Test Kit and our own results. PLUS find out how to enter to win a MyHeritage DNA Test Kit of your own!
What Sets MyHeritage Apart
I’m not going to mention any names, but I have tried other DNA test kits in the past. MyHeritage is the clear winner in a few key areas:
- The Testing Method is Easy — I tried out a different DNA test kit a couple years ago and to collect a sample, I had to spit in a test tube until I filled it up. As you can imagine, it was an awkward and messy process! With MyHeritage, all you have to do is swab the inside of each cheek, enclose those swabs in a sealed container, and mail back in the pre-addressed envelope. MUCH easier!
- The Results are FAST — You can expect your results in about 4 weeks, which is a quicker turnaround than many other testing sites promise. Actually, our results arrived in only 3 weeks!
- There are More Ethnicities Included — The MyHeritage database contains 42 ethnicities, which is one of the most in the industry. In fact, it’s double the number included with some of the other popular DNA testing services. This means that you’ll get a more detailed picture of your ethnic background and family history.
- It’s Competitively Priced — Even with all these features, MyHeritage is one of the lowest priced DNA test kits on the market. That makes it a great gift idea!
Your MyHeritage DNA test results feature:
- Ethnicity Estimate
- DNA Matches
Your Ethnicity Estimate
The MyHeritage Ethnicity Estimate shows which portions of your DNA may originate from a database of up to 42 ethnicities. It is the most internationally diverse database currently available, so you’ll get the most detailed results.
My Husband’s Ethnicity Estimate:
- 96.1% Central American
- 2.8% North and West European (Irish, Scottish, & Welsh)
- 1.1% Middle Eastern
Not only does the web portal show you exact ethnicity percentages, it also locates the associated regions on a world map so you can see where you come from!
While my husband knew that his family was largely of Mexican descent, he was always under the impression that there was Native American in his lineage. However, the DNA test showed absolutely no Native American – so this was a bit of a surprise.
I’m really curious to know my own family ethnicity now!
Your DNA Matches
This is the especially fascinating part! MyHeritage DNA Matches show people who may be related to you based on shared DNA.
While secretly a bit hopeful, we figured that the chances of anyone who was closely related to my husband having DNA in the MyHeritage system was slim to none, so we didn’t expect much here.
Another surprise — my husband’s DNA matches turned up possible first cousin (twice removed) or second cousin. That’s a lot closer relation than we expected to find. Perhaps we’ll get to know a new branch of the family tree!
The MyHeritage DNA Kit provided detailed results and a couple surprises!
MyHeritage isn’t simply a DNA test. The online platform offers many comprehensive tools to discover more about your family tree, both past and present. You can even build an online family tree and share it with others in a private, secure network.
Having tried other DNA testing services, I recommend MyHeritage based on three main components:
- Ease of use
- Quality of results
If you’ve ever been curious about your genetic makeup or extended family tree, a MyHeritage DNA Kit is totally worth it! (We even included the MyHeritage DNA Kit in our collection of top gifts for sporty dads).
Enter to Win a FREE MyHeritage DNA Test Kit
Enter below for a chance to win 1 of 2 MyHeritage DNA Kits! Giveaway open through September 25th, 2018.
FREE Printable Daily Planner
Complete the form to subscribe to our weekly newsletter with inspirational messages for moms, free family-friendly activities, giveaways, special offers, and more! You'll also get a FREE printable daily goal planner as a thank you for subscribing!
Last updated on August 23rd, 2018 at 02:45 pm
Have you ever thought about starting a blog of your own? Click here to find out more!
Follow the Soccer Mom Blog on Pinterest - Facebook- Twitter - Instagram