The ultimate decadent chocolate cake – and it’s foolproof! Our slow cooker chocolate lava cake is rich, gooey, and literally overflowing with fudge-y goodness!
Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake
There is nothing else that gets me excited dessert-wise like a decadent chocolate cake. The more chocolate, the more Hershey’s Kisses, the more fudge, the better! I even love cookies that are made with chocolate cake, like these Texas Sheet Cake Cookies!
We don’t eat out a lot, but when we do, I always have room for dessert. My sister and I joke that we were born with a second, “dessert stomach.”
Restaurant desserts can be hit or miss, but it’s hard to mess up a molten chocolate lava cake. That’s always a safe bet for a satisfying chocolate treat!
But you don’t have to wait for a night out to enjoy a drool-worthy chocolate lava cake — it’s actually super easy to make one at home in your crockpot!
This may or may not be a good thing…haha!
Related: When I’m feeling healthy, I whip up this super easy 2-minute Keto Chocolate Mug Cake!
Crockpot Lava Cake Ingredients
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 box chocolate pudding mix
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1-2 cups chocolate chips
For your convenience in re-creating our Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products we used. Disclosure policy available here.
How to Make Crockpot Lava Cake
First, watch our quick video demo to see how we made our slow cooker chocolate lava cake. Then keep reading for photo step-by-step directions. A free printable copy of the recipe is available at the bottom of the post.
Click video to play:
Before pouring your batter into the slow cooker, make sure that you’ve coated the dish liberally with non-stick cooking spray. This will keep the cake from sticking to the sides.
Add cake mix, milk, egg, oil, and pudding mix to slow cooker and stir until combined. Be sure to use a silicone tool that won’t scratch the sides.
Cover the top of the cake with chocolate chips – you don’t want to stir these.
Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours. Feel free to top with whipped cream or more fudge sauce!
Customize Your Crockpot Lava Cake:
- Make it gluten-free — Simply use a gluten free chocolate cake mix! Chocolate pudding mix should be gluten free, but check the ingredients just in case.
- Make it dairy free — Use your favorite non-dairy milk in place of the whole milk. We like cashew milk or coconut milk because of the rich flavor and creamy texture.
- Customize your cake — Try different types of chocolate chips, caramel chips, mini peanut butter cups, etc. Top your cake with chocolate syrup and whipped cream!
Get more recipes delivered right to your inbox each week!
Sign up for our weekly recipe share newsletter below – it’s fun and free!
Related: Try our slow cooker rosemary bread recipe too!
Grab a free printable copy of our Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake recipe:
If you like this recipe, rate it! We’d also love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix 15.25 oz
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding 3.9 oz
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chips 1 (12oz) bag
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare your slow cooker by generously coating the inside with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, 1 1/4 cup milk, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer and beat on low for 1 minute. (For extra moist cake, add sour cream here).
- Increase speed to medium, continuing to mix for 2-3 minutes or until the batter is smooth and glossy.
- Pour the cake batter into prepared slow cooker.
- Spread chocolate chips on top of the cake. Do Not Stir.
- Place the lid on top of the slow cooker and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours or until the top of the cake is set.
More of our favorite crockpot desserts:
If you liked this crockpot chocolate lava cake, be sure to try more of our favorite crockpot treats!