Soft, fluffy and buttery bread with a hint of aromatic rosemary…baked in the crockpot?! This slow cooker bread recipe is easy and delicious — you may never want to bake bread in the oven again!
Easy Slow Cooker Bread
If there is one good thing that can be said about being “stuck” at home every day right now, it’s that we are cooking dinner at home every single day!
Not only are we saving money since we don’t eat at restaurants, we are being very mindful with all of our food and taking care not to waste any leftovers.
These are all things we should have been doing before, but sometimes it takes a little extra motivation!
One of the projects on our list this week is crockpot bread!
Bread is one of the hardest things to find in the grocery stores these days, so like many of you, we bought some of the ingredients to make our own bread at home….in the slow cooker!
No yeast? Try our yeast-free Beer Bread Recipe!
Can You Make Bread in a Crockpot?
A slow cooker is one of the most versatile kitchen tools and one that has stood the test of time (unlike some other fad appliances that come and go in popularity). That’s because you can make so many different types of foods in a slow cooker!
We’ll show you how to make delicious bread in the crockpot with this simple recipe.
This simple yeast bread recipe is just as soft and fluffy as any bread you’d bake in the oven…in fact, I think it’s even softer! We topped our bread with butter and aromatic rosemary for a flavorful bite that goes with any meal or tastes amazing on its own!
Why Would You Use a Slow Cooker for Baking?
There are a few benefits to baking in a slow cooker or crockpot:
- Baking in a slow cooker does not heat up the entire kitchen like an oven does. This is a HUGE plus when you live somewhere hot like here in Texas! Who wants to crank up the A/C to cool down the kitchen when the oven is on all day.
- The steam keeps bread moist. This crockpot bread recipe is almost foolproof! The slow cooker lid creates steam, which keeps your bread or baked goods from drying out.
- Frees up space in your oven. On a busy occasion like Thanksgiving, you need all the oven space you can get! Using a crockpot for some of your baking recipes can save a lot of time.
What You Need to Bake Bread in the Crockpot
Affiliate links provided for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; disclosure policy available here.
Kitchen Tools Used:
- Crockpot — This recipe should work in most standard sized crockpots, 5 quart and up. Both oval or round shaped slow cookers should be fine, so long as there is enough space for your dough.
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheet
How to Bake Bread in a Slow Cooker
The bread starts with a simple yeast dough (recipe below), which will take about 45 minutes to rise.
Make a “nest” with parchment paper in the slow cooker, for your bread. Cook on high for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
How to Make Sure Your Bread Has a Crispy Crust
Since the slow cooker creates steam inside, your bread may not crisp up on the outside on its own.
But that’s ok because there are a couple simple tricks to make sure your crockpot bread has a beautiful golden crust!
- Remove the lid of the slow cooker for the final 30 minutes of cooking time. Keep an eye on your bread to make sure that it’s looking the way you’d like.
- Place the finished loaf in the broiler for 2 minutes to crisp up the top.
More of our favorite crockpot recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake
- Crockpot French Toast
- Slow Cooker Italian Chicken & Potatoes
- How to Cook Chicken in the Crockpot
Crockpot Bread Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts and questions in the comments.
Slow Cooker Bread
- Slow cooker
- 3 cups All purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon Dry active yeast
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 1 cup Warm water
- 2 Tablespoons Rosemary
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoonn Olive oil
- Combine water, yeast, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together gently until everything dissolved. Allow to sit for 15 minutes in a warm area. At this point the mixture should start to look foamy.
- Add salt and stir until dissolved.
- Add the vegetable oil and stir to combine.
- Add all of the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until it is too difficult to stir.
- Finish mixing by hands, then knead the dough for 5 minutes on a floured surface.
- Place the dough in a large bowl that is lightly coated with olive oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave bowl sitting in a warm location for 45 minutes. The dough will double in size.
- Use 2 sheets of parchment paper to line your slow cooker. Spray the parchment paper with non-stick spray.
- Turn the crockpot on high and place the dough in the crockpot.
- Spread olive oil to coat the top of the dough and sprinkle with rosemary.
- Cook on high for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Remove bread, along with parchment paper, from the crockpot and place both on a baking sheet.
- Spread top with butter and another sprinkle of rosemary.
- Place in the oven on "broil" setting for 2 minutes to get a golden brown crust on top.
Be sure to pin this recipe on Pinterest!
You might also like: