Kids will LOVE being “in” on these goofy jokes! A BIG list of friendly April Fools Pranks for kids that are FUN for EVERYONE! (Nothing mean or scary here!) Updated for 2021!
I love April Fools’ Day!
It’s such a fun and silly holiday that I always looked forward to as a kid because it was an opportunity to be creative and laugh with my family. Even as a grown-up, I still love to celebrate because my kids get a kick out of it too!
What I don’t love are mean pranks that are meant to worry or scare. Why would we want to upset the people we care about, even if it’s just a joke?
If you love to celebrate April Fools for kids as much as we do, then I’ve got the perfect collection of April Fools Day pranks for you!
Fun & Harmless April Fools Pranks for Kids
Because pranks aren’t fun if they hurt another person’s feelings (especially a kid, am I right??), I gathered a list of GOOD-spirited April Fools pranks for kids!
These fun and goofy April Fools jokes will get kids both thinking and laughing! Some of them are really clever!
Kids will love being “in” on the joke!
Some of the April Fools pranks on this list are jokes that we parents can set up for our kids, while others are pranks that kids can help set up too.
All of these April Fools jokes for kids are silly, and intended to be good-humored. Nothing gross, scary, or mean here!
How Did April Fools’ Day Begin?
April Fools Day has been celebrated for centuries in many parts of the world. But where and why did this unofficial holiday start?
According to History.com, some historians believe that a calendar change may be the reason for this silly season!
In 1582, France switched from the Julian calendar (which celebrated the new year in springtime) to the Gregorian calendar (which marked New Year’s Day as January 1st). Some people didn’t get the memo and continued to celebrate the new year during the last week of March and were laughed at and pranked for their gullibility.
The tradition spread throughout parts of Europe and Great Britain and finally over to the United States, growing in popularity over the years. And here we are!
What’s a Good April Fool’s Prank for Kids at School?
Not gonna lie…sometimes 2020 felt like one big episode of Punked! I’m actually glad for April Fool’s Day this year because it will be a bright spot in what continues to be a challenging time.
We’ve all been spending more time at home over the past year, so this is an opportunity to do something fun and out of the ordinary for kids! If you’re doing school at home, you can pretty much do any of these pranks throughout the day…hehe!
You can even use the April Fools history lesson above to incorporate it into your school day! Win-win!
If your kids are back in the classroom, the silly snacks (dirt pudding with gummy worms, “moldy” sandwich, etc) would be a funny surprise in the middle of the school day!
The Best April Fools Jokes for Kids
Click on the links below to view the full tutorial for each of these fun April Fools Jokes for kids. This list may include shop-able ad links for items our family loves; read our full disclosure policy here.
We’ve divided these ideas into a few categories:
- Funny Food
- Ooey Gooey
- Crafty Creations
Scroll to see photos showing each of the pranks in action, and click on the links to check out the full tutorials to recreate them in your own home.
Nothing is what it seems!!
Spilled Coffee Prank (from Red Ted Art) — A portable prop you can use again and again!
“Veggie Cupcakes”(from Ruffles & Rainbows) — They look like they’re topped with plain ‘ol broccoli and tomatoes, but these April Fool’s cupcakes are secretly sweet!
“Undrinkable Orange Juice” (from My Kids Lick the Bowl) — Plus more funny food pranks for April Fool’s Day!
Grape Juice Jell-O (from Make It & Love It) — A simple-looking snack that brings the laughs!
Brown E’s (from JDaniel4’s Mom) — This play-on-words prank will have everyone thinking and laughing!
Frozen Cereal (from Kids Activities Blog) — This breakfast prank is guaranteed to start the day off with a smile.
Candy Eggs & Bacon (from Teach Mama) — You see a lot of “taste” jokes for April Fools Day, but I like this one because it is actually yummy!
Frosting “Toothpaste” (from Organized 31) — Toothpaste has never tasted this good!!
Crockpot Cookies (from Tamilee Tips) — Who knew you could make chocolate chip cookies in the crockpot!! Wink, wink
Broccoli Lollipops (from the Decorated Cookie) — These colorfully-wrapped lollipops aren’t quite what’s expected! -pictured above
“Moldy” Sandwich (from Perpetual Kid) — Safe to eat, but will definitely make the kiddos do a double take when they find this sandwich in their lunch! -pictured above
Chicken Pot Pies Dessert (from Sugar Spice & Glitter) — These little chicken pot pies look just like a real dinner…but kids will be delighted to find out they are actually a dessert!
Slime….boogers….you name it! These are the goofiest gross-out gags that kids will love!
Fake Dog Poo (from Kids Craft Room) — Looks real, smells just fine! I know I promised a non-gross prank list, but this one is super funny and kids love it!
Gas Out Game (affiliate link) — Not only do my girls love to play this toot-themed counting game, they love to prank me by playing the noises at unexpected moments!
Get a little bit crafty with these funny brain-bending jokes! Make the day full of surprises!
Toys Trapped in Soap (from the Soccer Mom Blog) — Use our glycerine soap recipe to trap little toys, like LEGO pieces, in a bar of clear soap! It will also double as incentive for bath time!
Silly Cereal and Green Milk (from Organized 31) — What a surprise they’ll get when pouring cereal and milk in the morning!
Candy in a Fruit Can (from Come Together Kids) — I think the name says it all…kids will love this joke!
Giant Googly Eyes (from Paging Fun Mums) — I absolutely love this simple joke! It would also make an awesome Halloween decoration.
Windshield Wiper Rainbow (from Helmut Smits) — Turn the windshield wipers on for a surprise that will delight all your little passengers! -pictured above
Blue Bathwater (from Kids Activities Blog) — Turn on the faucet for a colorful surprise!
Donut Seeds (from Very Enchanting) — Clever and fun! See if your kids will actually try to plant these!
More Family Friendly April Fools Pranks
- Grape & Tomato Sweets (from Eats Amazing)
- Up-side Down House (from Kids Activities Blog) — While the kids sleep on the night before April Fools’ Day, turn as many things upside-down around the house as possible! Picture frames, candles, you name it! Just wait for the shrieks of delight when the kids wake up and see the silly surprises!
- Woven “Straw”berries (from JDaniel4’s Mom) — Another good-spirited “thinking joke”
- Tissue Dispenser Necklace (from Make It & Love It) — If your kids ask for tissues all the time, offer them this clever solution wink, wink
- Sleeping Kid Prank (from Kids Activities Blog) — Your kids will get a kick out of seeing their “funny faces” when they wake up!
- Carrots in a Candy Box (from Come Together Kids) — Surprise!! A healthy treat is inside!
- Cheesy Chocolate Spread (from De tout et de rien: Activités pour le Préscolaire) — It looks like chocolate…but is it??
- Milk Splatter (from Instructables) — Just think of all the fun places you could create a “milk” spill!
- Lamp Light Show (affiliate link) — Swap out a light bulb or two in your house with these remote-controlled light bulbs with 16 color choices! So much fun!!
- “Pooh” in my Bed (from Play Dr. Mom) — Don’t worry, there’s nothing gross about this one, or any of the other play-on words pranks in this post.
- Family Photos in the Weekly Ad (from Teach Mama) — The kids will have a blast doctoring up the weekly newspaper ads to include familiar faces. The perfect joke for that parent who loves to read the morning paper!
- April Table Topics: Jokes (from Growing Book By Book) — Keep the fun going all month long with this list of April Fools jokes for kids!
- Growing a “Money Tree” (from Megan Zeni) — This one is based on a book!
We hope you have a blast trying out these April Fools Pranks for Kids! Share your favorite jokes and ideas in the comments below!
If you enjoyed this collection of family-friendly April Fools pranks for kids, check out some more of our favorite kids activities below!
You might also like: