The ultimate comfort food – literally anyone who tries this carne guisada recipe falls in love!
Hearty Carne Guisada Recipe
Carne Guisada is a traditional Mexican beef stew and one my husband ate all the time growing up.
So of course he took his family’s classic Carne Guisada recipe, added his own special touch, and made it into something truly amazing!
We enjoy Carne Guisada all year long, but even more often during the fall and winter months. Carne Guisada is the perfect comfort food when the weather turns cooler – who doesn’t love a hearty soup or stew to keep you warm inside!
It’s also a dish that both of the girls will scarf down as fast as they possibly can and ask for seconds – definitely kid approved!
We regularly make this carne guisada for friends, new neighbors, or anyone that could use a good meal in their life. But you don’t need to be our neighbor to enjoy this hearty carne guisada for yourself…it’s easy to make either on the stovetop or in the slow cooker.
Full printable copy of this carne guisada recipe & ingredients is available at the bottom of the post.
How to Make Carne Guisada (Mexican Beef Stew)
Keep reading for cooking tips, gluten free version, and the perfect side items for pairing!
You can also click here to jump to printable recipe.
Carne Guisada Cooking Tips:
- Make it gluten free by substituting 2 teaspoons corn starch for the flour in the regular recipe. Make a paste with the cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water (or broth), then stir into stew during the last 10 minutes of its cooking time.
- Set it and forget it! You can also make this classic carne guisada recipe in the slow cooker. Simply add all ingredients to crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours. (My husband still likes to brown the meat first).
Kitchen Tools Used to Make this Carne Guisada Recipe:
We’ve included shop-able ad links to products we love and use; disclosure policy available here.
- Large sauté pan – you definitely want to make sure your pan is big enough to handle this hearty stew! We love our Calphalon deep skillet for family-style recipes like this one.
- Non-slip mixing bowls
Best Served With:
- White rice (it soaks up the gravy and tastes amazing!!)
- Mexican Rice (also known as Spanish Rice) – my husband is famous for this recipe too!
- By itself (Carne Guisada is nice and hearty on its own!)
Tip: Pair your carne guisada with our foolproof Mexican rice:
Grab a free printable copy of this easy carne guisada recipe:
Hearty Carne Guisada (Mexican Beef Stew)
- 2 lbs sirloin steak cubed
- 2 white onions 1 diced, 1 quartered
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 large baking potatoes cubed
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 can stewed tomatoes Italian seasoned
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves pressed
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon each of: cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and Mexican oregano.
- Dredge sirloin cubes in spice mixture until well coated.
- Add diced onion to large sauté pan over medium heat with a Tablespoon of your choice cooking oil.
- Once onion begins to caramelize, add meat and diced peppers. Stir occasionally until meat starts to brown on the outside (about 2-4 minutes).
- Once meat is just browned on the outside, add 4 cups beef stock to pan, along with 1/2 teaspoon each of: cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, Mexican oregano, and salt. Add 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 3 pressed garlic cloves, 2 bay leaves, and 1 can of stewed tomatoes.
- Stir well then add cubed potatoes, sliced carrots, and 1 quartered onion. Reduce heat to low and allow to cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (2 hours is more than sufficient, but the longer it stews, the more tender the meat will be).
More of our favorite comfort food recipes:
p style=”text-align: center;”>Easy 30-Minute Chicken Pad Thai
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Calabaza (Tex-Mex Goulash) – This is my oldest daughter’s favorite dish in the whole world!
See what else is cooking in the Soccer Mom Blog Kitchen! Follow us on Pinterest:
Follow Stacey @ The Soccer Mom Blog’s board RECIPES on the Soccer Mom Blog on Pinterest.
- Cowboy Caviar - March 24, 2023
- Bunny Bait - March 22, 2023
- 20 Thrifty Kitchen Hacks - March 21, 2023
Margaret Wickert says
This was really good. Cooked on stove top and did meat longer than veggies:)
Will make it again for sure. Especially since I have mexican oregano and don’t really know what I bought it for:) Thanks!
Stacey aka the Soccer Mom says
Hi Margaret– thank you so much for letting me know that you enjoyed it! I LOVE to hear feedback on our recipes 🙂
Hello, for how many servings is this recipe? I am having a comida for my daughter birthday tomorrow and feeding a group of people
Stacey aka the Soccer Mom says
Hi Irene – My husband tends to cook a TON of food, so when served with rice I would estimate that this recipe could serve 8-10.