Inside: How your child can adopt an Alien Neonate Baby at Distroller World Houston, plus the benefits of pretend play with dolls. Sponsored by DistrollerUSA.
“We don’t call them dolls”
Around here, they don’t say the “D” word.
Dolls, that is.
Or “toys” for that matter.
Inside the brightly colored haven of Distroller World, the cute creatures eagerly awaiting their new homes are known as Alien Neonate Babies.
As the legend goes, these miniature alien babies crash landed on Distroller World and were saved by the kind-hearted Nurse Tania. And from the moment you step into a Distroller store, you’ll never hear anyone break from their character or the story.
Distroller World is a wildly popular Mexican children’s brand that’s bringing it’s unique spin on pretend play to the United States this year. This Saturday, July 29th, Distroller celebrates the grand opening of its second US location at the Houston Galleria.
We were invited for a sneak preview of the brand new Houston store, and I’ve got to say that it was quite the experience!
Going all in and participating in the story makes the experience more memorable. Instead of simply buying a toy, you and your children are adopting a neonate baby who needs you to love and care for them on their new planet.
First, your child visits the nursery to choose a baby of their own. There are four different types of babies, ranging in size and maturity — from the itty-bitty Nerlie babies to the almost fully-grown and furry Espongie babies.
Once your child finds the baby that they’d like to bring home, Nurse Tania calls over the loudspeaker to announce the adoption. Then comes perhaps the most exciting part of all — the new baby is sent via a pneumatic tube high above the store so your child can watch them travel to down to meet them.
What amazed me about the Distroller Neonate Babies is the extreme attention to detail, far beyond most other dolls. If you’re wondering why you might want to adopt one yourself, here are some of the developmental benefits of playing with dolls:
Developmental Benefits of Pretend Play with Dolls
- Teaches empathy — With kids, hands-on experience is often the most effective teacher. We can tell our children to think about the needs others, but caring for one of the alien neonate babies allows kids to actually do so.
- Offers practice for social interactions — Children are always learning appropriate ways to interact with others, and it can be very overwhelming in a public setting. Quiet time at home with their “babies” allows children to re-enact and make sense of social situations that already took place, as well as role play hypothetical situations.
- Provides sensory experiences — Each alien neonate baby provides a complete sensory experience, from tactile (some babies are smooth, some are soft) to olfactory (each baby has their own unique scent) to auditory (they even laugh, giggle, and talk!) I especially loved how the babies are surprisingly heavy, and very comforting to hold, much like a weighted pillow or blanket.
- Builds fine motor skills — Manipulating the babies’ bodies, clothing, and accessories helps kids develop their fine motor skills. These detailed movements will be helpful down the road for important tasks like learning to write.
Distroller World Arrives in Houston in July 2017
The Distroller World grand opening bash will take over the second floor on the Nordstrom side of the Galleria Mall on Saturday July 29 from 12-4pm. Amparo Serrano, a renowned artist in Mexico and creator of Distroller will be there — I love that this is a mom-created business!
The first 50 children that arrive at the store will receive a special surprise gift and during the entire grand opening event, the store will be giving away Distroller-branded merchandise!
There will also a free candy bar for guests to enjoy, plus lots of other fun activities. Join the fun this Saturday at Distroller World in the Galleria (5058 Westheimer Rd., #5301).
Visit DistrollerUSA.com for more info about these adorable alien neonate babies and where to adopt your own.
- When You’re Sleep Deprived Mama, Remember This - January 14, 2021
- How to Start Making Money Blogging (Even as a Beginner) - January 13, 2021
- Healthy Barbecue Chicken Pizza with Sweet Potato Crust - January 9, 2021