Quick and easy, this Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Recipe only takes one pot and 30 minutes to make! We’ll show you two different ways to make this Japanese restaurant favorite at home!
Chicken Teriyaki — 2 Ways
Chicken teriyaki is a classic dish at hibachi restaurants, and it’s understandable why if you just taste it! The combination of sweet and salty flavors is downright irresistible — even picky eaters will love it!
It’s actually pretty easy to make a basic chicken teriyaki at home. Instead of paying $12-15 a plate, you can spend less than that to buy all of the ingredients and serve your entire family!
Skip ordering takeout and enjoy some amazing chicken teriyaki at home! Plus, you can say goodbye to long prep times and piles of dirty dishes: this recipe only takes a single pot and is ready in around 30 minutes!
In this post, we’ll show you how to make one-pot chicken teriyaki and rice, as well as grilled teriyaki chicken over rice. Two easy ways to make one delicious classic dish!
Related: For another Japanese inspired dish, try our Wasabi Salmon Bowl recipe too!
What Kind of Meat is Chicken Teriyaki?
Traditionally, the leg or thigh meat is used to make teriyaki chicken. However, just about any cut of chicken can be used. We love to use breast cutlets too!
If you’re worried about drying out the chicken, try thigh cutlets. If you prefer white, meat, use breast cutlets, as pictured here.
What is Chicken Teriyaki Made Of?
Our chicken teriyaki recipe is an adaptation of the traditional Japanese dish. In college I worked at a Japanese restaurant with a chef who was VERY traditional, so I won’t claim that this dish is that — but that wasn’t the goal!
We made a few little tweaks so this recipe could be made in one pot, with ingredients that are easy to find in almost any grocery store.
It’s a great way to get those classic flavors in your own kitchen…in about half an hour! And you don’t have to be an expert chef!
Affiliate links provided for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; read disclosure policy here.
- Canola oil — for cooking the chicken
- Chicken cutlets — you can use either breast or thigh meat
- Instant white rice
- Red and green bell peppers
- Shredded carrots
- Minced ginger and garlic
- Frozen peas
For the Teriyaki Sauce
- Chicken broth
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
Kitchen Supplies Used
How to Make Chicken Teriyaki in One Pot
Heat large deep skillet over medium heat. Cube chicken and add to pan with a Tablespoon of oil. Cook chicken until browned on each side, but not completely cooked through.
Add peppers and cook for 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
Add, carrots, ginger, and garlic and cook for a couple more minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Add broth, soy sauce, honey, and vinegar and stir. Add rice and peas and cover.
Cook until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Once rice is done, remove from heat and allow to rest, still covered, for about 5-8 minutes. This steams the rice and makes it fluff up a bit.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Teriyaki
If you prefer your chicken to have more of a glaze, as shown above, you can also grill the chicken first and then add to the rice at the end.
This requires just a couple quick adjustments to our one-pot recipe, making it a 2-pan recipe:
- Instead of cubing the chicken, keep the cutlets whole.
- Cook the veggies and rice in pan as described above.
- Mix the honey, soy sauce, and vinegar in a small bowl. Reserve 1-2 Tablespoons for glazing the chicken and add the rest to the pot with rice and veggies.
- Grill chicken on a separate pan. When finished, brush with the teriyaki glaze.
- Slice chicken and place on top of cooked rice and enjoy.
One Pot Chicken Teriyaki Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you liked this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear what you think in the comments below.
One Pot Teriyaki Chicken and Rice
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 5 chicken breast cutlets cubed
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots shredded
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 2 cups instant white rice
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Add cubed chicken to a deep skillet with oil, over medium heat. Cook until chicken starts to brown on all sides.
- Add diced peppers and cook until they start to soften.
- Add, carrots, ginger, and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the rice, broth, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, and peas. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender. Stir once or twice to prevent scorching.
- After rice has cooked, removed from heat and allow to steam, covered, for 5-8 minutes.
Pin our Chicken Teriyaki recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: