Crispy, crunchy pumpkin pie spice muddy buddies are the perfect fall party treat or lunchbox snack! Easy to make with only 3 simple ingredients!
Pumpkin Pie Muddy Buddies
Pumpkin spice season officially started this week! Yep, it’s an official thing!
To celebrate, I thought I’d share this new recipe for pumpkin spice muddy buddies! They are made with pumpkin spice morsels – which if you haven’t tried yet, they are amazing!
Muddy buddies are one of the easiest party desserts to whip up, and these fall muddy buddies only take 3 ingredients and about an hour from start to finish.
And of course they are totally delicious and just smothered in pumpkin spice goodness!
What Are Muddy Buddies?
Also known as “puppy chow,” muddy buddies are a deliciously sweet and crunchy treat made with Chex cereal. The Chex pieces are coated in chocolate (or another type of melted candy) and dusted with powdered sugar.
You can customize your muddy buddies with an almost unlimited range of flavors, especially with all the fun flavored candy chips on the market these days. We made this Christmas puppy chow too!
We love pumpkin spice chips, so it was a no-brainer to make pumpkin pie puppy chow with them! (PS- Click here to see the pumpkin spice chicken curry we made using these chips…it sounds a bit strange but it is soooo good!)
Pumpkin Muddy Buddies Ingredients
For your convenience in making our pumpkin pie spice muddy buddies, I’ve added clickable ingredient and supply links where possible. Read our disclosure policy here.
*You can usually find pumpkin spice morsels in grocery stores during the fall. I didn’t see them listed on Amazon yet, but as soon as they do I’ll add a link to them.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Spice Muddy Buddies
Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mat.
Place the pumpkin spice chips in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl and heat for 35 seconds. Continue heating in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
TIP: If your pumpkin spice chips seem stiff, you can add a Tablespoon or shortening or coconut oil to make the chips melt more smoothly.
Add Chex cereal to bowl and stir to coat completely with melted pumpkin spice chips.
Place the powdered icing sugar in a large zip-top bag and scoop your coated Chex cereal into the bag. Close the bag and shake well until everything is well-coated in sugar.
Empty the bag onto your prepared baking sheet and spread out to fill the sheet. Let candy coating set for about an hour before packaging or serving.
Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you liked this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Muddy Buddies
- 2 cups pumpkin spice morsels
- 4-5 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mat.
- Place the pumpkin spice chips in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl and heat for 35 seconds. Continue heating in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Add Chex cereal to the mixing bowl and stir until completely coated with melted pumpkin spice chips.
- Place the powdered sugar in a large ziplock bag and scoop your coated Chex cereal into the bag. Close the bag and shake well until everything is coated in sugar.
- Empty the bag onto your prepared baking sheet and spread out to fill the sheet. Allow candy coating set for about an hour.
Be Sure to Pin Our Pumpkin Spice Muddy Buddies on Pinterest
More of our favorite pumpkin treats:
- When You’re Sleep Deprived Mama, Remember This - January 14, 2021
- How to Start Making Money Blogging (Even as a Beginner) - January 13, 2021
- Healthy Barbecue Chicken Pizza with Sweet Potato Crust - January 9, 2021