Crispy, crunchy pumpkin spice puppy chow is the perfect fall party treat or lunchbox snack! Easy to make with only 3 simple ingredients!
Pumpkin Pie Puppy Chow — “Scarecrow Snack Mix”
Pumpkin spice season officially started this week! Yep, it’s an official thing!
To celebrate, I thought I’d share this new recipe for pumpkin spice puppy chow! Crispy cereal pieces coated in a creamy pumpkin chocolate chip coating — it’s the perfect combination of sweetness and fall spice!
This is one of the easiest snack mix recipes to whip up, with just 3 ingredients and about an hour of total time from start to finish.
Both kids and grown-ups will love this crispy, crunchy, sweet treat!
Make a batch of this Fall Chex Snack Mix for Halloween parties, or just for fun! It’s sure to be a favorite!
UPDATE 2022: The original version of this recipe uses pumpkin spice morsels for the candy coating. This is a seasonal item, so I’ve also included directions to make your own pumpkin spice flavored coating using candy melts. The flavor will be the same, the appearance will be a bit different.
Here is the original version, made with pumpkin spice morsels:
Here’s what the recipe looks like when made with candy melts and pumpkin spice seasoning. You can see that using pumpkin spice seasoning gives it a lighter color, less orange than the pumpkin morsels. We also added Mellowcreme pumpkins to make this fall snack mix look extra festive:
What is Puppy Chow?
Also known as “muddy buddies,” puppy chow is a deliciously sweet and crunchy treat made with Chex cereal. The Chex pieces are coated in chocolate (or another type of melted candy) and dusted with powdered sugar.
You can customize your muddy buddies with an almost unlimited range of flavors, especially with all the fun flavored candy chips on the market these days. We made this Christmas puppy chow too!
We love pumpkin spice chips, so it was a no-brainer to make a fall snack mix with them! (PS- Click here to see the pumpkin spice chicken curry we made using these chips…it sounds a bit strange but it is soooo good!)
For your convenience in making our pumpkin spice muddy buddies, I’ve added clickable ingredient and supply links where possible. Read our disclosure policy here.
*You can usually find pumpkin spice morsels in grocery stores during the fall. I didn’t see them listed on Amazon yet, but as soon as they do I’ll add a link to them. For substitution ideas, see the FAQ section later in the post.
Kitchen Tools Used
Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mat.
Place the pumpkin spice chips in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl and heat for 35 seconds. Continue heating in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
TIP: If your pumpkin spice chips seem stiff, you can add a Tablespoon or shortening or coconut oil to make the chips melt more smoothly.
Add Chex cereal to a large bowl and pour the melted chocolate on top. Stir to coat the chex mix completely.
Place the powdered icing sugar in a gallon size zip-top bag and scoop your coated Chex cereal into the bag. Close the bag and shake well until everything is well-coated in powdered sugar mixture.
Empty the bag onto your prepared baking sheet and spread out to fill the tray. Let candy coating set for about an hour before packaging or serving.
- Use Cinnamon Chex cereal for an extra flavorful treat!
- Add mellowcreme pumpkin candies to the serving bowl with your muddy buddies to make them look festive for fall. You could also add fall M&Ms candy!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does Puppy Chow Last?
Puppy chow does not need to be refrigerated. I recommend storing in an airtight container or large zip-top plastic bag and it should stay good for up to a week.
You can also freeze the muddy buddies and keep it in the freezer for up to 2-3 months!
What Can I Use Instead of Pumpkin Spice Morsels?
Pumpkin spice morsels are usually a seasonal item and may appear in stores at different times. If you can’t find them, don’t worry! There are a couple different ways to make this recipe:
- Substitute white chocolate chips, a few drops of orange food coloring, and 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice for the coating.
- Substitute orange candy melts and 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice for the coating.
Here’s what that process looks like:
Either way you make them, this is one tasty treat that’s packed with fall flavors and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you liked this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Microwave safe bowls
- Baking sheet
- 2 cups pumpkin spice morsels see substitution idea in notes
- 4-5 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Mellowcreme Pumpkin Candy optional
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mat.
- Place the pumpkin spice chips or candy melts in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl and heat for 35 seconds. Continue heating in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Add Chex cereal to the mixing bowl and stir until completely coated with melted pumpkin spice chips.
- Place the powdered sugar in a large ziplock bag and scoop your coated Chex cereal into the bag. Close the bag and shake well until everything is coated in sugar.
- Empty the bag onto your prepared baking sheet and spread out to fill the sheet. Allow candy coating set for about an hour.
Be Sure to Pin Our Pumpkin Pie Muddy Buddies Recipe on Pinterest