Our Christmas Puppy Chow is a fun and festive treat that everyone in your family is sure to love! This bright red and green colored holiday muddy buddy recipe is crunchy, delicious, and the perfect easy Christmas recipe!
Christmas Puppy Chow Chex Mix
You know when you’re sidling up to the dessert table at a holiday party and looking for something that you can just sneak a taste of?
Well this Christmas puppy chow is IT!
Just look at how colorful it is! So pretty with the bright red and green color!
Oh and of course this holiday puppy chow is totally delicious – I mean, crunchy cereal, sweet white chocolate, and a dusting of powdered sugar…you can’t go wrong with that combo!
Not gonna lie…I can never just “sneak a taste” of this puppy chow Christmas candy. I always go back for more!
The best part about this holiday puppy chow is that it is super easy to make — no baking required! So if you get a last minute party invite, this is the perfect treat to whip up!
What is Puppy Chow?
Puppy chow (also called muddy buddies) is candy coated cereal party mix, usually made with Chex mix or something similar.
You can customize the colors and flavors for any occasion, like this pumpkin spice muddy buddies recipe we made for fall!
For your convenience in making our puppy chow recipe Christmas, I’ve added shop-able ad links where possible. Read our disclosure policy here.
Christmas Puppy Chow Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup red frosting
- 1/2 cup green frosting
- 1/2 cup white candy melts or white chocolate chips, divided
- 1 Tablespoons shortening, if needed
- 4 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup powdered sugar
How to Make Christmas Muddy Buddies
Start by prepping a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick silicone baking mat.
TIP: We love these reusable silicone baking mats because they are non-stick, so your holiday puppy chow will slide right off them! Plus you can wash and use these mats again and again. (Psst…They make great gifts!)
Scoop red frosting and 1/4 cup white chocolate chips (or white candy melts) in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30-45 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds. If needed, add a touch of shortening or coconut oil to soften.
Combine the red glaze and 2 cups of Chex mix in a large bowl and toss until all pieces are coated.
Pour 1/2 cup powdered sugar into a large gallon ziplock bag, then add in your red candy-coated cereal. Seal the bag and shake well until all of the cereal is coated with sugar.
Open the bag and shake out the cereal onto your prepared baking sheet, then repeat the process with green frosting.
Allow your Christmas puppy chow to rest on the baking sheet for at least an hour, until dry.
More of our favorite Christmas dessert recipes:
- Christmas Wreath Cupcakes
- Christmas Tree Oreos
- Mini Santa Belly Cakes
- White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Kid-Made Mini Gingerbread House Cakes
- Oreo Gingerbread Truffles
- Rudolph Cupcakes
- Copycat Starbuck Cranberry Bliss Bread
Grab a free printable copy of our Christmas Muddy Buddy recipe!
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Christmas Puppy Chow
- 1/2 Cup Red frosting
- 1/2 Cup Green frosting
- 1/2 Cup White candy melts or white chocolate chips
- 4 Cups Chex cereal
- 1 Cup Powdered sgura
- 1 Tablespoon Shortening optionnal
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Place the red frosting and 1/4 cup white chocolate chips (or white candy melts) in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30-45 seconds. Stir every 15 seconds, until melted. If needed, add a spoonful of shortening to smooth.
- Add 2 cups Chex cereal and your melted red candy coating to a mixing bowl and stir until all cereal is coated.
- Place 1/2 cup powdered sugar in a large ziplock bag and add the candy coated cereal. Seal bag and shake until all cereal is coated in sugar.
- Pour the cereal onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the white candy melts and green frosting.
- Let dry for an hour before packaging or serving.
Pin our Christmas Puppy Chow on Pinterest:
More of our favorite Christmas treats: