Candy Cane Sugar Cookies: Soft sugar cookies dipped in rich white chocolate and crushed peppermint candies. A wintery tasting treat and one of our favorite Christmas cookie recipes! They taste as delicious as they look!
Candy Cane Cookies
Just the sight of candy canes makes my heart happy!
I love the holidays, and nothing says Christmas like those festive swirls of peppermint goodness.
These festive candy cane cookies are the perfect gorgeous touch to your Christmas cookie spread. They also make a wonderful gift — I for one am always happy to receive baked goodies for Christmas!
What are Candy Cane Sugar Cookies?
This is a classic sugar cookie recipe with a hint of mint, dipped in white chocolate, and finished with a dusting of crunchy candy cane pieces.
It’s simple, beautiful, and delicious!
This is also a recipe that kids can help make, especially the dipping and decorating. My girls enjoy making chocolate dipped cookie recipes. We make them for every occasion — like our no-bake Oreo Gingerbread truffles and our Halloween spiderweb cookies.
I’ve provided shop-able affiliate links for your convenience in re-creating our white chocolate peppermint cookies recipe; disclosure policy available here.
Ingredients Needed for our Candy Cane Cookie Recipe
The following is a quick shopping list so you can get an idea of what you’ll need to make our candy cane Christmas cookies. A free printable copy of this recipe with exact ingredient amounts and directions is available at bottom of the post.
- Unsalted sweet cream butter
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Peppermint extract
- Baking soda
- Cream of tartar
- White chocolate Ghiradelli melting wafers
- Candy canes
Kitchen Supplies Used
- Electric mixer or Stand mixer
- Non-slip mixing bowls
- Cookie sheet
- Non-stick silicone baking mat — We use these reusable baking mats in almost all of our recipes! They are washable so you can use them again and again and you don’t need cooking spray.
- Medium cookie scooper — This handy gadget helps create more uniform cookie sizes for more even baking.
How to make white chocolate peppermint cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper of one of these handy reusable non-stick silicone baking mats. We love these silicone mats because you can wash and use them over and over again and nothing sticks to them!
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium to large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. You can use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer.
- Add egg, egg yolk, vanilla and peppermint extract to batter and continue mixing.
- Gradually pour dry ingredients into bowl of batter, mixing as you to go.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to portion cookies onto prepared sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350°F, removing cookies while they are still soft and a tad under-baked.
- While cookies cool, melt the white chocolate. TIP: Melt chocolate in a double boiler on the stovetop OR in 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring between to prevent scorching.
- When cooled completely, dip half of each cookie into the melted white chocolate and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- Place cookies back on baking sheet to set. Enjoy!
More of our favorite peppermint treats:
- Candy Cane Cake
- Peppermint Brownie Truffles
- Tipsy Peppermint Mocha Cocktail
- Chocolate & Peppermint Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Blossoms
- Christmas Cheesecake
Candy Cane Cookie Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear what you think in the comments below!
Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 bag white chocolate Ghiradelli melting wafers
- 2 cups crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar and butter and mix (using a hand mixer or stand mixer) until creamy.
- Add in egg, egg yolk, vanilla and peppermint extract to stand mixer bowl and continue mixing.
- Gradually add bowl of dry ingredients to bowl of batter. As you mix, scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure that all ingredients are incorporated into the batter.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion dough onto the cookie sheet and bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes. Cookies will be slightly under-baked.
- While cookies cool, melt the white chocolate using a double boiler.
- Dip half of each cookie into the melted white chocolate and set back on the cookie sheet to dry.
- Once all cookies are dipped, sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- Let cookies dry fully, then enjoy!
Pin our Candy Cane Sugar Cookies on Pinterest:
More of our favorite Christmas cookies:
Make Cooking Fun (and Easy!)