A hearty and delicious soup has never been easier than with this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup! You’ll never go back to the canned stuff when you discover how simple it is to make your favorite soup in the Instant Pot!
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
There’s this idea that it takes foooorrreevvver to cook homemade soup, so it’s one of those things that I think many of us avoid.
But believe it or not — you can put together a rich, hearty chicken noodle soup in just over an hour with your Instant Pot! (And actually even less if you do our quick version!)
Forget overly salty, preservative-laden canned soup…make the REAL stuff! It’s easier than you think…promise!
Just look at those perfectly cooked noodles, fresh veggies, and rich broth. You can almost see the flavor through the computer screen!
What you need to make chicken noodle soup in the Instant Pot
For your convenience I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products used to make this recipe; disclosure policy available here.
For the Broth:
- Whole chicken carcass — you can also use about 3 cups chicken bones
- Water — to fill the Instant Pot
- Vinegar — Use your favorite type!
For the Soup:
- Carrots — peeled and chopped
- Celery — peeled and chopped
- White or yellow onion — minced
- Garlic cloves — sliced (optional)
- Egg noodles
- Seasoning of choice — if your chicken was already seasoned, I recommend sticking with the same type of seasoning.
- Any remaining meat from the chicken
Kitchen Tools Used:
Keep reading for photo step-by-step instructions and a printable recipe card with full ingredient amounts!
Can you use any noodles for chicken noodle soup?
While egg noodles are traditional, there are quite a few alternatives that will work, even other types of starches besides noodles!
Try these if you don’t have egg noodles on hand:
- White rice
- Brown rice
If using brown rice, you’ll need to up the cooking time for that step (step #6 in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post). For brown rice, set the cook time to 12 minutes, then natural release. Keep in mind that the veggies will be a little more done with a longer cook time!
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Remove the big chunks of meat from your chicken and set aside.
Place the chicken carcass in your Instant Pot and cover completely with water. Be sure to stay beneath the max fill line. Add the vinegar.
Secure the lid, select the “Soup/Stew” setting, and set time to 45 minutes. If you’re in a hurry, you can do 20 minutes for a quick, lighter broth.
Carefully pour the broth through a colander or strainer to remove all of the bones.
Pour the broth back into the Instant Pot and add your chopped veggies, egg noodles and seasoning.
Secure the lid and set time for 5 minutes.
We added a touch of chopped parsley for garnish — doesn’t it look amazing?!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do you add vinegar to soup?
It sounds a little odd, but you’re only adding a spoonful of vinegar, so you don’t really taste it. However, just a splash of vinegar really makes the other flavors of the soup POP!
It’s our secret ingredient for making simple soups taste like something truly special!
Do you cook the noodles before adding to the soup?
Nope! If you pre-cook the noodles, they’re pretty much guaranteed to get mushy.
The same goes if you decide to use rice instead — do not cook ahead of time — the pressure cooker will do all the work for you!
How do you keep egg noodles from getting mushy in soup?
We’ve designed this recipe to keep the noodles from becoming too soft by adding them later in the cooking process, after you’ve made the broth.
However, if you have any leftovers, the noodles will continue to soak up the broth.
If you know ahead of time that you’ll likely have leftovers, I’d recommend only adding some of the noodles to the Instant Pot or cooking them separately. Then when you’re ready to reheat the soup, you can whip up a small batch of noodles to add in at that point.
If you’re pretty sure you’re going to finish the whole batch, go ahead and cook all the noodles as the recipe describes and they should be just fine.
More of our favorite Instant Pot recipes:
- Easy Instant Pot Meat Sauce
- Instant Pot Sweet & Sour Pork
- Instant Pot Apple Cake
- Angel Food Cake in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken
- Keto Beef & Broccoli (Instant Pot Recipe)
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Dip (Keto)
- Dr. Pepper Instant Pot Meatballs
- Instant Pot Baked Beans
Instant Pot Chicken Soup Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
For the Broth:
- 1 whole chicken carcass (bulk of the meat removed) or 3 cups bones
- 8 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
For the Soup:
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery peeled and chopped
- 1 onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic sliced (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups egg noodles
- Seasoning of choice if your chicken was seasoned, use the same type of seasoning
- If using a whole chicken, remove the meat first, as you only need the bones to cook the broth.
- Place the chicken carcass/bones in the Instant Pot and cover completely with water -- staying below the max limit line. Add the vinegar.
- Secure the lid, select the "Soup/Stew" setting, and set time to 45 minutes for a proper bone broth. (Or 20 minutes if you just want a quick broth and are short on time).
- Natural release.
- Carefully pour the broth through a strainer or colander to remove the bones.
- Pour the broth back into the Instant Pot and add the chopped veggies, noodles and seasoning. Secure the lid and set time for 5 minutes.
- Natural release.
Pin this Instant Pot Chicken Soup Recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: