These amazing Sweet & Spicy Instant Pot Baked Beans are hearty enough to be a meal, but make for a mind-blowing side dish too! We took regular baked beans and kicked them up a notch…or ten!! Sweet brown sugar, savory bacon, and a hint of jalapeño create an irritable flavor combination! They’re super easy to make in your Instant Pot with our easy shortcut recipe!
Quick & Easy Instant Pot Baked Beans
Baked beans are the perfect side dish for any barbecue or summer cookout. They’re also a great hearty side dish for the fall and winter months when you need a tasty side that won’t take up any oven space! This recipe is the right combination of sweet and spicy with all the delicious flavors of baked beans, homemade.
Traditional baked beans take a little TLC to make, as most dried beans take hours to soak. When my husband makes refried beans, he soaks them overnight!
We took a classic baked bean recipe and sped up the process with the Instant Pot and a canned bean shortcut. We cut out prep time…but not flavor!
In fact, we added a few goodies to make these baked beans even more flavorful than any I’ve ever tried before! I hope you love them too!
For your convenience I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products used to make this recipe; disclosure policy available here.
What You Need to Make Baked Beans in the Instant Pot
- Canned baked beans — We used two 28oz cans.
- Thick cut bacon — Chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Yellow onion — Chopped; you can also use a white onion or sweet onion.
- Minced garlic — If you don’t have fresh garlic, substitute with garlic powder.
- Maple syrup — For the best flavor, I recommend using real maple syrup as opposed to pancake syrup or imitation maple syrup.
- Brown Sugar
- Jalapeños — Seeds removed and diced
- Green pepper — diced
Kitchen Supplies Used:
What beans do you use to make instant pot baked beans?
The recipe specifically calls for canned baked beans to save time. These are extra sweet — a real treat! However, if you prefer a little less sweet, start with canned pinto beans.
You can also used dried beans; more details on that after the recipe step-by-step.
How to Make Sweet & Spicy Instant Pot Baked Beans
Turn the pot on to the Sauté function and cook the bacon. Make sure you’ve cut the bacon into bite-sized pieces first.
Once the bacon is mostly done cooking, add the diced onions and peppers and cook until the onion starts to caramelize and turn clear.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
Once this mixture is simmering, add the canned baked beans, brown sugar, maple syrup, and ketchup.
Give everything a good stir, the place the lid on Instant Pot and lock in place.
Set the steam release knob to the “Sealing” position and cancel the Sauté function.
Set to Pressure Cook to high for 40 minutes.
When done, allow pot to naturally release the pressure for 20 minutes, then manually release remaining pressure.
Can I make this recipe using dried beans?
Yes! If you only have dried beans on hand, you can still make this recipe — and the good news is that you won’t need to soak the beans for hours!
How to cook dried beans in the Instant Pot:
- Add one pound of dried pinto or navy beans to the Instant Pot and fill with water, until all the beans are completely covered (at least 6 cups of water). Add a pinch of salt and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Allow natural release for 20 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Drain beans thoroughly and carefully rinse/ wipe the inside of the Instant Pot.
- Finish the recipe as described in the recipe card, with your cooked beans in place of canned beans.
What is a good main dish to pair with baked beans?
There are so many delicious recipes that pair well with baked beans! If you need some options, here are some of my favorites:
More of our favorite Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Sweet & Sour Pork
- Instant Pot Apple Cake
- Angel Food Cake in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken
- Keto Beef & Broccoli (Instant Pot Recipe)
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Dip (Keto)
- Dr. Pepper Instant Pot Meatballs
Grab a free printable copy of our Instant Pot Baked Beans Recipe:
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Sweet & Spicy Instant Pot Baked Beans
- 56 oz baked beans two 28oz cans
- 6 slices Thick Cut Bacon cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Yellow Onion large, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 jalapeños seeds removed and diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- Turn Instant Pot on to the Sauté function.
- Tear bacon into 1" pieces and cook in pot until mostly done.
- Add diced onions, jalapeños, and peppers to the bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Add beans, maple syrup, brown sugar, and ketchup. Stir, then secure and lock lid on Instant Pot.
- Set the steam release knob to the "Sealing" position and cancel Sauté function.
- Set to Pressure Cook to high for 40 minutes.
- When done cooking, allow natural release for 20 minutes.
- Manually release the remaining pressure.
Pin our Easy Instant Pot Baked Beans on Pinterest:
You might also like: