Make the perfect light and airy angel food cake in your Instant Pot! Only two ingredients needed to bake this heavenly Instant Pot Angel Food Cake recipe!
Instant Pot Angel Food Cake Recipe
I saw the funniest meme today! It spoke to my quarantine situation perfectly.
“Cook at home and you’ll lose weight.”
[Picture of Maury Povich]
“Quarantine determined THAT was a lie.”
I always thought that if we could just stop eating out we’d be in amazing shape, but instead now that we’re home, my husband and I are baking allllll the time!!
That’s why I’m so excited about this Instant Pot Angel Food Cake recipe!! Angel food cake is deliciously sweet and vanilla flavored, but not too sweet, and it’s amazingly light and fluffy.
Like a white cake, but fluffier, airier, and with fewer calories!
Have I got your ear yet??
What if I told you that you could make this perfect light and sweet treat with only TWO ingredients and your Instant Pot?!
Nope that is not a lie!! So let’s get “baking!!”
What is Angel Food Cake?
Angel food cake is a low-fat white cake that’s exceptionally light and fluffy. It’s almost like air!
Because the flavor is subtle and not overly sweet, angel food cake is the perfect backdrop for delicious toppings like powdered sugar or a fruit compote.
What is the Difference Between Angel Food Cake and Pound Cake?
While both angel food cake and a traditional pound cake are similar in flavor, the texture is quite different.
A pound cake is so-called because its originally had a pound of each of the following ingredients: butter, sugar, flour, and eggs. As you can imagine, with a pound of butter, it is quite dense and rich.
On the other hand, angel food cake contains no butter at all! It is also made with eggs whites only (instead of whole eggs), which creates an extra-fluffy texture like a merengue. Our Instant Pot angel food cake has no added eggs, as there are powdered eggs whites in the cake mix itself.
Angel food cake is lower in calories than pound cake, so it is a perfect when you’re craving something sweet but don’t want anything heavy.
What You Need to Make Instant Pot Angel Food Cake
For your convenience in re-creating this recipe I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products used; our disclosure policy is available here.
- Instant Pot
- Angel Food Cake Mix — We used Betty Crocker Angel Food Cake mix, though other brands should work too.
- Water — For both the cake and the Instant Pot
- Powdered sugar — We kept it simple and dusted our angel food cake with powdered sugar, but you can add any toppings you like!
What Kind of Pan Should I Use?
To make the full-sized cake like the one in our pictures, you’ll want to use a 7″ Angel Food Cake Pan. You can also use a bundt cake pan that’s designed to fit inside an Instant Pot.
You can also make a mini angel food cake using 4.5″ pans, like these Wilton Mini Angel Food Cake Pans. If making these mini cakes, you’ll want to half the ingredients. You can make two mini angel food cakes with one box of cake mix.
How to Make Angel Food Cake in an Instant Pot
This recipes is awesome because it is just about foolproof and only requires two ingredients: angel food cake mix and water!
All you have to do is combine ingredients in a mixing bowl:
Add water to the Instant Pot itself, then pour batter into an angel food cake pan or bundt cake pan and place the pan in the Instant Pot.
Cover and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes, then use natural release for 10 minutes.
Remove from the Instant Pot and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes or so, then flip the cake out of the pan to finish cooling.
We love to top ours with a dusting of powdered sugar, but you can use your favorite toppings!
A free printable copy of the full recipe and ingredients is available at the bottom of the blog post.
Tips for Baking the Perfect Cake in the Instant Pot
- Cover pan tightly with foil before baking to prevent condensation on top of cake.
- If using a non-stick pan, you don’t need to spray with non-stick cooking spray. Using the spray with a non-stick pan won’t allow the cake to “creep” up the sides of a pan like a perfect angel food cake would.
- Be sure to allow the cake to cool in the pan for a bit before flipping onto a cooling rack. Give the pan a good wiggle to loosen it up first before flipping.
More of our favorite Instant Pot dessert recipes:
- Instant Pot Godiva Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Apple Cake
- Instant Pot Apple Butter
- Instant Pot Mango Coconut Bundt Cake
Instant Pot Angel Food Cake Recipe
If you like this recipe, please rate it!
Instant Pot Angel Food Cake
- Instant Pot
- 1 box Angel food cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water for cake
- 2 cups water for Instant Pot
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for topping
- Lightly coat your bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add cake mix and 1 1/4 cup water in mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Pour cake batter into your prepared bundt pan and cover with foil.
- Pour 2 cups water into Instant Pot.
- Add the trivet and your bundt pan and close the lid.
- Cook with high pressure for 35 minutes.
- After done cooking, use natural release for 10 minutes.
- Remove bundt pan from Instant Pot and place onto a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes before removing cake from the pan.
- Allow to cool completely and dust with powdered sugar.
Be sure to pin this recipe on Pinterest: