Can’t you almost taste these gorgeous glazed lemon blueberry donuts through the screen?! They are my favorite baked donut recipe because they are the perfect combination of sweet blueberry and tangy lemon.
Blueberry Lemon Glazed Donuts
Blueberry lemon is one of my favorite flavor combinations, and these lemon blueberry donuts do not disappoint!
Here’s the breakdown: light, fluffy, lemon-infused blueberry cake donuts bursting with real fresh blueberries and topped with a zesty lemon glaze. It’s the perfect combination of sweet and tart!
If your mouth isn’t watering yet you might want to check your pulse! 😉
Are Baked Donuts Healthier?
Deep fried donuts are definitely delicious! However, they also pack the calories!
Baking donuts are lower in calories then traditional fried donuts and they don’t have all that oil, which we’re supposed to be careful about eating.
Baked donuts have sugar and white flour, so of course they are a treat! But they may be a lighter option than fried donuts – so that’s a win in my book!
What you’ll need:
For your convenience, I’ve provided shop-able ad links to supplies used in this recipe; read our disclosure policy here.
- Butter — Make sure it’s unsalted butter because there is already salt in the recipe and you don’t want the donuts too salty!
- Vegetable oil — Any type that is your favorite for baking
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon zest
- Lemon juice — We use lemon juice from whole lemons so we can get the zest from them too.
- All-purpose flour — You can also use gluten-free all purpose flour for gluten free donuts.
- Fresh blueberries — You can also use frozen if that’s what you have on hand.
- Powdered sugar
Kitchen Supplies Used:
A free printable copy of the recipe and full ingredients list is available at the bottom of the post.
How to Make Baked Blueberry Lemon Donuts
First, watch our quick video tutorial to see exactly how we made our lemon blueberry donuts. Then, keep reading for full step-by-step instructions.
Click video to play:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
TIP: We love silicone donut pans because your finished donuts pop right out! If you’re using metal pans, be sure to coat with cooking spray first.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients, except sugar.
In your stand mixer bowl, combine sugar and wet ingredients. Blend, gradually adding dry ingredients to the batter. Continue mixing until fully incorporated.
TIP: For lactose-free version of the donuts, swap out the buttermilk with 1 cup buttermilk and 1 TB vinegar (to get that tang).
Stir blueberries into batter by hand, then spoon batter into your prepared donut pan – about 3/4 of the way full. You can use a metal pan, or Silicone donut pans like we used in our video. The donuts pop right out of the silicone molds!
TIP: Wild blueberries are often used in baked goods because they are smaller and “spread” out less when cooked. Traditional cultivated blueberries are larger and juicier, so they take up more real estate in your donut. Feel free to use whichever variety you prefer!
Bake for 17-20 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean).
Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to glaze.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until well combined.
Place a piece of foil under the wire rack with the donuts to catch any glaze. Pour glaze directly from the bowl onto the donuts until well coated.
Top with a sprinkle of lemon zest.
Tips for Baking the Perfect Donuts
- Fill your donut pans up at least 3/4 of the way full. Any less and they’ll fall apart, all the way and they may overflow the pans while baking.
- Using a piping bag to fill your pans helps to keep them neater, with less spilling.
- Watch them closely while baking to ensure they don’t overcook. Oven times may vary depending on your oven and where you live, so use our baking time as a guideline.
- Be sure to grease your donut pans thoroughly so they don’t stick. We also love these silicone donut pans because you can pop the donuts right out of them!
Make Cooking Fun (and Easy!)
More of our favorite homemade donut recipes:
Grab a free printable copy of this Lemon Blueberry Donuts recipe here:
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear what you think in the comments below!
Lemon Blueberry Donuts
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 7 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
How to Make Baked Lemon Blueberry Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare donut pan with cooking spray, as needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, sugar, eggs, oil, butter, lemon zest, and vanilla and blend using a hand or stand mixer.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, continuing to mix until fully incorporated.
- Stir blueberries into batter by hand, then spoon batter into your prepared donut pan.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to glaze.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until well combined.
- Place a piece of foil under the wire rack with the donuts to catch any glaze. Pour glaze directly from the bowl onto the donuts until well coated.
- Finish with a sprinkle of lemon zest while glaze is still wet.