Bring the magic of camping home with these gooey and delicious S’Mores Cupcakes! This is a spectacular stacked cupcake that is guaranteed to wow everyone! It’s also a chocolate lovers dream come true!
What is the best thing about camping??
Growing up, our family tried to go camping at least once a year, but it almost always ended in disaster! Whether it was a surprise thunderstorm or accidentally stirring up a hornet’s nest, let’s just say that our camping experiences were never dull!
In between our mishaps, we always made a campfire where we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows to make s’mores. Those campfire treats are my favorite memories of our camping trips!
Since we’ll be spending a lot of time at home this summer, I wanted a way to bring the camping experience TO us! Our family has been doing theme nights to keep things fresh and fun while staying safe at home.
These s’mores cupcakes are a decadent treat with all the flavors of the campfire classic. In fact, I’ve got to say that S’Mores cupcakes are even more delicious than the original!
And they look amazing!!
Related: 7 Camping Tips to Avoid Disaster (based on my own experiences)
Affiliate links provided for your convenience in recreating this recipe; read our disclosure policy here.
S’Mores Cupcakes Ingredients
- Chocolate cake mix — We used triple chocolate cake mix, but any chocolate flavor mix will work!
- Eggs — You’ll need whole eggs for the cake and egg whites for the marshmallow layer.
- Butter — We recommend unsalted butter for baking recipes, though you could use salted if that’s what you have at home.
- Milk — We listed whole milk in the recipe card at the bottom of the post, but you can use any type of milk you have on hand, even non-dairy milk.
- Sugar — white granulated sugar
- Cream of tartar
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream — You can also use heavy cream as they are essentially the same.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips — You can also use milk chocolate or dark chocolate!
Kitchen Supplies Used:
- Stand mixer — You can also use an electric hand mixer if that’s what you have at home. But if you’ve been eyeing a gorgeous KitchenAid mixer, check out the refurbished options! We bought ours refurbished and saved a ton of money!
- Muffin tin
- Cupcake liners
- Batter scoop
- Double boiler
- Frosting decorating bag — We love these reusable silicone piping bags because you can wash and use them over and over again. A star tip makes those gorgeous icing swirls that you see at fancy bakeries.
- Kitchen torch — Grown ups only!
How to Make S’Mores Cupcakes
These look more difficult to make then they actually are!
We used a box cake mix to save time, though you can use any chocolate cupcake recipe you love.
Then we layered chocolate ganache, marshmallow frosting, and a chocolate chip cookie for an awesome s’mores-inspired treat!
Check out our printable recipe instructions at the bottom of the post for a full step-by-step!
Here’s a look at how we layered our s’mores cupcakes:
What Can I Use Instead of a Kitchen Torch?
A kitchen torch is a useful tool for making candy, creme brûlée, and lots of other fun treats! It’s also what was used here to toast the top of our marshmallow frosting.
If you don’t have a kitchen torch handy, you could also use a long multi-purpose lighter or a grill lighter, though it may take a little longer to get the effect.
Note: We love to let our kids help bake with us, but grown-ups only for this step!
Can I Use Real Marshmallows?
We made marshmallow frosting because it is easier to use to decorate your cupcakes. However, if you want a shortcut recipe, you can use regular marshmallows, toast them, then gently press them on top of your cupcakes.
They will taste amazing! Just keep in mind they might not look the same as the pictures!
More of our favorite cupcake recipes:
- Kit Kat Cupcakes
- Easy Piñata Cupcakes
- PEEPS Bunny Cupcakes
- Pink Champagne Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
- Easy Mermaid Cupcakes
- Rudolph Cupcakes
- Jack Skellington Pull Apart Cupcakes
- Red White and Blue Swirl Cupcakes
Grab a free printable copy of this S’Mores Cupcakes recipe here:
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear what you think in the comments below!
- Disposable piping bag
- Large ice cream scooper
- cupcake liners
- cupcake pan
- 1 box Chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs large, room temp
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1 cup whole milk
Marshmallow frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, butter, milk and stir until combined.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners until they are 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Ganache Directions
- Bring the heavy cream to a slow boil in a small ssaucepan.
- Place the chocolate chips into a heat-safe bowl, then pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips.
- Allow to sit for a minute to melt the chocolate, then whisk until fully melted and smooth.
Marshmallow Frosting Directions
- Prepare a double broiler and in a separate bowl, mix all ingredients except the vanilla.
- Combine all marshmallow frosting ingredients except vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Place the bowl over the prepared double broiler.
- Start to simmer the water and heat the mixture until a candy thermometer reaches 165℉ and all the sugar has dissolved (about 5-10 minutes after the water begins to simmer).
- Stir as you heat mixture for even cooking.
- Once all the sugar has dissolved and the mix is 165℉, remove from heat and place the bowl in a standing mixer
- Mix on medium-high for 5-7 minutes until the egg whites stiffen up and the mixture starts to cool.
- As the mixture begins to stiffen, add the vanilla extract.
- First, use a large ice cream scoop to place a mound of chocolate ganache onto each cupcake.
- Scoop the marshmallow frosting into a frosting bag, then pipe a layer of marshmallow on top of the ganache.
- If you have a kitchen torch, use it to toast the marshmallow frosting. You could also use a multi-purpose lighter.
- Place a cookie on top of the marshmallow frosting and press it gently to set.
Pin this S’Mores Cupcake Recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: