Tart blueberries layered over rich buttercream — this gorgeous Blueberries and Cream Cake tastes like summer in every bite!
Blueberries and Cream Cake
Recipe text and images by Jennifer of Sugar Spice & Glitter:
The first time I messaged Stacey, it was after seeing her amazing Guava Dream Cake recipe on Pinterest, so when she asked me to do a recipe guest post here on the Soccer Mom blog, I knew that a delicious cake was in order!
This Blueberries and Cream Cake fit that bill and is the perfect summer dessert for entertaining!
My kids love helping me pick blueberries every summer, so naturally, we always end up with way too much! We’ve made blueberry pie ice cream, blueberry muffins, and of course, actual blueberry pie.
While I love a good blueberry pie (especially if it’s double-crusted), I prefer a bit more contrast in my desserts — so this blueberry pie cake hits the spot for me! I love that mesh of the sweet-and-tart, sticky blueberry pie topping with the sweet vanilla frosting and soft vanilla cake. Even a small sliver of this cake is enough to satisfy me — and hey, you’re getting some antioxidants in there!
Love blueberries? Then you’ve got to try our Glazed Blueberry Lemon Donuts too!
This is a fun cake for kids to help prepare — either with the beating of ingredients or the assembly of the finished product. This is a cake that is supposed to get a bit messy — it’s half of the charm — so why not let the kids get in there and develop some kitchen skills?!
Note: Ad links are included for your convenience in finding items we used to make this recipe; read our disclosure policy here.
How to Make a Layered Blueberry Pie Cake
Keep reading for photo step-by step instructions. You can also find a free printable copy of this recipe and ingredients available at the bottom of post. Click here to jump to recipe.
Start by leveling the cakes using our foolproof cake cutting method or using a cake leveller.
Place one cake half on the serving platter. Apply frosting to the top of the cake and spread to the edges.
Top with a 1/2 cup of the blueberry filling and use an offset spatula to push the blueberry mixture to about 2″ away from the edge of the cake. This will keep the filling from mixing with the outer frosting when you add the top cake layer, so you’ll have a perfect white exterior.
Place the top cake layer on the bottom, and then apply a thick coat of frosting to the whole cake. This will serve as your crumb coat.
Allow this frosting layer to air out and harden slightly for a couple hours. Once the first coat of frosting has set, apply a second coat. This is your “pretty” outer layer.
Pour your remaining blueberry pie topping over the entire cake. Allow it to spread and drip down the sides, for a rich, delicious looking summer treat!
Storage Tip: After the first 24 hours, cover your cake and keep in the fridge.
Baking Essentials Used in this Blueberry Pie Cake recipe:
- 9″ cake pans
- Cake leveler (a handy little tool!)
- Offset spatula for frosting
- Cooling rack
- Kitchenaid Stand Mixer
Grab a free printable copy of our luscious Blueberries & Cream Cake recipe:
If you love this recipe, rate it!
Blueberries and Cream Cake
Vanilla Cake Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk I used whole milk
Vanilla Buttercream Ingredients:
- 1 cup butter
- 3-4 cups icing sugar or powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2-4 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
Blueberry Pie Cake Topping Ingredients:
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or dethawed if frozen
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
How to make the vanilla cake:
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease and flour two 9" cake pans. I also like to cut a round parchment circle and place it in the bottom of the pans.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Crack the eggs and add the vanilla into the butter-sugar mixture and beat well. Add in half of the flour mixture, and mix until incorporated.
- Add the milk to the butter-sugar mixture, and then follow with the remaining flour mixture. Beat until smooth and no lumps remain in the batter.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake for 30-38 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a baking rack completely before frosting.
How to make the vanilla buttercream frosting:
- Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth, then add in the vanilla and 2 Tablespoons of cream. Adjust the consistency with more sugar for a stiffer frosting, or more cream for a softer frosting.
How to make the blueberry pie topping:
- Place all ingredients except for the lemon juice and salt in a pot set above medium heat.
- Stirring frequently, cook for 8 minutes until the blueberry skins have dissolved and the consistency resembles a loose jam.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice and pinch of salt. Allow to cool before adding to the cake.
To assemble the complete Blueberry Pie Cake:
- Level the cakes using the toothpick method or using a cake leveller.
- Place one cake half on the serving platter. Apply frosting to the top of the cake and spread to the edges.
- Top with a 1/2 cup of the blueberry filling and use an offset spatula to push the blueberry mixture to about 2" away from the edge of the cake, to prevent the filling from mixing with the outer frosting when you add the top cake layer.
- Carefully center the top cake layer on the bottom, and then apply a thick coat of frosting to the whole cake. This will serve as your crumb coat.
- Allow this frosting layer to air out and harden slightly for a couple hours. Then, apply a second coat of frosting, to be the outer layer. You're going to want to ensure this layer is smooth and consistent.
- Pour the remaining blueberry pie topping overtop of the cake. Allow it to spread and drip down the sides - it just looks more delicious that way!
- Cut and serve. If not consuming within the next 24 hours, store the cake in the refrigerator.
Save our Blueberry Pie Cake on Pinterest:
More of our Favorite Blueberry Desserts:
p style=”text-align: center;”>Cherry Berry Parfait
- Loaded Baked Potato Dip - May 26, 2023
- Copycat Reese’s White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups - May 25, 2023
- 4th of July Margaritas - May 24, 2023
Let’s be real, there’s never a bad time for cake. But this cake is PERFECT for summertime parties and I’m totally, completely obsessed. Love love love!
Stacey aka the Soccer Mom says
I’m obsessed with it too! I keep looking at photos and dreaming of when I’ll get to try it! 🙂
Dana brumett says
Thank you so much for the recipe I’m making for the Super Bowl Tomorrow whodey, Go Cincinnati!