Plan an adorable baby room, even when you don’t have a lot of room with these clever small space nursery hacks!
Our Favorite Small Space Nursery Hacks
Our middle daughter spent the first year of her life in our bedroom, mainly because it was the easiest way for me to get to her for night nursings.
With baby #3 on the way, we plan to do the same — though this time it is as much for easier breastfeeding as it is that we just don’t have an extra room available.
Whether you live in a small home, an apartment, or you just want to make the best use of your space, these small space nursery hacks can help you get the most out of your square footage!
Three Clever Ways to Maximize a Small Nursery
Here’s how we make the most of the our small space nursery AND make our bedroom still feel like our own. Take a virtual video tour below, then keep reading for the full breakdown of our space-saving nursery tips!
Small Space Nursery Video Tour:
For your convenience, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the items we used in our small home nursery; read our disclosure policy here.
1. Find a crib that does triple duty
To maximize a small space nursery, look for a crib that also offers storage space and a changing area. Instead of purchasing a separate piece of furniture for each little thing (dresser, full-sized changing table, AND a crib), one piece of furniture handles it all!
Our space-saving baby crib features:
- Full-sized baby bed (that fits most standard crib mattresses)
- Three drawers (plenty of room for baby’s clothes – they’re so tiny after all!)
- Attached changing table
- Shelving on the side (under changing table) for extra storage
We found our crib at Babies-R-Us, but you can get the exact same small space crib on Amazon here (in a variety of wood colors).
Bonus: This particular crib can also convert to a toddler bed when your little one is ready!
2. Use a screen to create a separate baby area
We use a wooden screen to create two separate spaces: the baby area and our room. A screen also offers:
- Privacy for mom and dad
- Light-blocking so baby can sleep easier
- The feel of two distinct spaces in one room
A screen is easy to fold away when not in use too!
3. Create a fully-stocked baby cart for mobile storage
This was a new creation for baby number three that we didn’t have last time and I am SO excited about it!
I found this rolling cart at Target a couple years ago and bought it with the intent of making it a craft supply cart. Instead, it sat in my office collecting dust.
When we started planning our small space nursery this time around, I saw my empty cart and had an “aha” moment. Why not stock it with baby care items so we can keep them handy wherever we are in the house?!
Here’s what’s in our baby cart:
- Top shelf — diapers, wipes, bath supplies (in a removable caddy), and spare onesies
- Middle shelf — Extra diapers and wipes (because you can never have to0 many and it allowed us to break down some of the diaper cases instead of storing them in our closet)
- Bottom shelf — Cloth diapers (that we use as spit-up rags) and plastic bags (for wrapping dirty diapers)
Sharing a room with a new baby isn’t as tricky as you’d think, especially when you plan ahead. Even in a small space, we were able to create an area for our baby that feels special, with customized decor and everything she needs for her first year.
Even though there is a crib on one side of our room, it still feels like a grown-up room on our side, and we have a little privacy. I love how our small space nursery turned out! What do you think?
Planning for baby? Read more from my pregnancy archives:
- Rookie Mistakes to Avoid with a Second Pregnancy
- How to Get a Free Baby Box (and why you should)
- 102 Things You Never Say to a Pregnant Woman
- 10 Ways to Naturally Induce Labor
- How to Relieve Itchy Skin after Pregnancy
- 15 Things to Do when You Find Out You’re Pregnant
- 10 Awesome Pregnancy Perks (You’ll Miss Later)
- How to Have a Belly Only Pregnancy
Latest posts by Stacey aka the Soccer Mom (see all)
- White Chocolate Gingerbread Truffles - December 5, 2019
- Penguin Painted Rocks – Cute Christmas Painted Rocks - December 4, 2019
- Candy Cane Cake – Peppermint Layer Cake Recipe - December 3, 2019
Last updated on February 16th, 2019 at 07:56 pm