DIY Natural Ant Repellent Spray

If you live in a warm climate, then chances are you’ve dealt with pesky ants. Whether they’re sneaking onto your countertops or terrorizing your garden, ants are super stubborn and hard to get rid of. That’s why this natural ant repellent spray is so amazing— it’s safe, easy, cheap, and IT WORKS!

Last Valentine’s Day, an army of ants invaded our bedroom. A small box of candy had fallen behind one of our nightstands, unnoticed, and by the time we figured out what the ants were after, they were well settled into their path.

I tried all sorts of things to get rid of them, from bleach to strong commercial cleaning sprays, but they always came back. Then I did a little research for natural remedies and put together this all-natural ant repellent spray. And it worked!

DIY All Natural Ant Repellant Spray is SAFE, CHEAP, and IT WORKS!

Affiliate1
Here’s what you need: (Combine in large spray bottle):

TIP: I’ve found that industrial-strength spray bottles stand up to real-life conditions — this industrial strength spray bottle has received great reviews. Anytime I buy the “99 cent special,” the plastic breaks after just a few uses, so it’s worth spending a couple extra bucks.

Make sure you mix this over the sink — when you add baking soda to vinegar it will create a lot of foam! However, it will settle down when you fill the bottle with water. You could also mix in a bucket and pour into a spray bottle.

I’ve also used this spray on our outdoor plants with great success. Ants seemed to enjoy our lime tree, but not anymore!

I don’t know why this simple concoction works so well, but it DOES, and it smells nice! Plus, you don’t have to worry about getting harsh chemicals everywhere.

For more natural living ideas, follow my Pinterest board:

Follow Stacey @ The Soccer Mom Blog’s board Natural Living on Pinterest.

It’s easy: for indoor use, just spray over the entire area where ants have made their path and wipe clean. You can spray and let sit over entry points to keep the ants from coming back. For outdoor use, apply a thorough coating over plants and surrounding dirt. It’s completely safe and won’t harm your plant, but the bugs will stay away!

Make sure to subscribe to The Soccer Mom Blog by Email for more great tips delivered right to your inbox!

17 Comments on DIY Natural Ant Repellent Spray

1. M
    June 9, 2015 at 11:05 pm (12 months ago)

What about spraying where cats will be? How safe is it?

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      June 10, 2015 at 11:26 am (12 months ago)

Everything is natural and non-toxic– plus I would imagine that cats would have zero interest in eating vinegar 🙂 I had a cat when I first tried this stuff and he could’ve cared less about what I was doing.

2. Mandy
    June 13, 2015 at 1:46 pm (12 months ago)

Could I use white vinegar?

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      June 13, 2015 at 1:55 pm (12 months ago)

I would imagine that would be fine too– I used apple cider vinegar for my first batch because that’s what I had on hand. Since it worked, I stuck with it 🙂

3. Stephanie Smith
    July 1, 2015 at 11:15 am (11 months ago)

This is a relief. I’ve been battling ants in my kitchen the past several days. I’ve been trying to find a treatment that will work and keep them away, but I swear, the second my husband drops a chip they’re on it in seconds. I happen to have all these ingredients as well, so I’ll make this mixture when I get home and give it a shot. Thanks for sharing!www.stewartspestcontrol.com.au

4. AMANDA
    July 21, 2015 at 6:00 pm (10 months ago)

Ok I’m not sure what I’m going wrong but every time I add baking soda to the apple cider vinegar/water/dawn dish soap mixture it starts foaming/pouring out of the bottle. I put the lid on the bottle and noticed that the bottle was getting round. I loosened the lid and it exploded!??? Please help!!

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      July 21, 2015 at 6:52 pm (10 months ago)

Hi Amanda, try adding the baking soda bit by bit. Everytime it starts to foam up, stop and let the bubbles go back down before adding more baking soda. (Kind of like if you were pouring soda into a glass of ice.) I always mix over the sink just in case, but if you go slowly it should be ok.

5. Cathy
    February 22, 2016 at 12:30 pm (3 months ago)

Yes mine exploded everywhere too! I ended up putting everything in a large bucket to mix then transfer to spray bottle. I live in Ohio, we have had a mild winter. I’m just starting to see some ants, it is earlier than normal so I’m hoping once the weather really warms up I won’t see any! I’ve used the corn meal, sugar, water paste mixture to attract them and they are supposed to take the “food” back to the nest and eventually it kills the colony, but it takes so long, and it’s disgusting how many ants come and cover the mixture. thanks for this recipe!

6. Jacob Searcy
    April 19, 2016 at 2:54 pm (1 month ago)

This is a LIFESAVER. I came home and there were ants all over my kitchen, but I just made this in a minute, put it all the way around the door. One more tried to come in and turned right back around. Thanks so much

7. Dana
    April 24, 2016 at 2:56 pm (1 month ago)

How often do you have to re-apply it?

• Dana
      April 24, 2016 at 3:00 pm (1 month ago)

Also if an ant walks into it after the area has been sprayed will it still die, or does every any need to be hit directly?

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
        April 25, 2016 at 12:30 pm (1 month ago)

They usually die when they walk into it, or they will turn around and attempt to avoid the spray. If you hit them directly it works almost instantly.

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      April 25, 2016 at 12:30 pm (1 month ago)

I reapply as needed, if I see ants again. Sometimes it gets them the first time, sometimes they are pretty determined and I might need to apply a second time. It also helps to find where they are entering the house and spray outside as well.

8. Ashlee carlisle
    May 21, 2016 at 7:29 pm (4 days ago)

I used this on my vegetable garden and it burned my plants 😣, looks like they’re dying now .

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      May 22, 2016 at 1:24 am (4 days ago)

I haven’t heard of this happening with this formula, but maybe it is possible that some plants are more sensitive? I’ve used this spray on my lemon and lime trees, as well as my herb garden with no ill effects.