How to Cook Perfect Salmon — Every Time

My husband sure knows how to cook perfect salmon — it’s seriously amazing. I’m talking restaurant-quality.

Salmon is our favorite meal in the Rodriguez house. It’s delicious, full of nutrients (Protein, Omegas, Vitamin D…just to name a few), and if you watch for sales it’s actually not that expensive at all!

Mateo prepares salmon in a variety of styles (one of our most-loved recipes is Citrus Leek Salmon and Shrimp, pictured below), and it is perfect. Every. Single. Time. Finally, he showed me his special method and it’s actually super simple! I’ve even tried it myself and achieved the same results as my talented hubby so I had to share so you too can cook perfect salmon!

Affiliate1

STEP ONE: Lightly salt and pepper salmon filets (6-8oz each).

STEP TWO: Place salmon filets skin side up on a lightly greased Frying Pan over medium heat. (We love and use coconut oil for most of our cooking projects, though you may use any cooking oil you prefer).

**Tip: Mateo says: HOT pan, COLD oil — make sure the pan is heated and ready to go before adding oil (this will help prevent sticking). Another pro trick: give the pan a little shake right after you put on the salmon, so they are sure not to stick.

STEP THREE: One salmon is cooked halfway through, flip so skin side is facing down.

**TIP: You will see a distinct line in the middle of the filet when it’s time to flip (about 7-10 minutes).

Look at that beautiful crust on top–yum!!With this foolproof trick you can enjoy restaurant quality seafood at home -- cook perfect salmon every single time!

STEP FOUR: Turn off heat, cover, and let steam ten minutes for medium doneness. (If you like your salmon medium-well, add 2-3 extra minutes).

And that’s it! Super easy, and pretty much foolproof (hey, if I can cook perfect salmon, anyone can!) Now that you know how to cook perfect salmon, try this recipe for Pan-Seared Salmon with Thai “Secret Sauce” — it’s light, healthy, and delicious!

Pro Tools to Cook Perfect Salmon:

Follow my recipe board on Pinterest to get the very latest and greatest from the Soccer Mom Blog kitchen!

Follow Stacey @ The Soccer Mom Blog’s board RECIPES on The Soccer Mom Blog on Pinterest.

Vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs

26 Comments on How to Cook Perfect Salmon — Every Time

1. jeanine
    July 24, 2015 at 5:35 pm (10 months ago)

Perfect!

2. Sandy
    September 4, 2015 at 4:02 pm (9 months ago)

This turned out amazing!!!! Thank you!

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      September 4, 2015 at 4:13 pm (9 months ago)

Awesome Sandy! Thanks for letting me know!

3. Dave
    September 6, 2015 at 6:30 pm (9 months ago)

Looks easy. But I’m almost more interested in the dish photoed at the top of this page. What’s the sauce over the fish (with the scallions and shrimp)?

4. Julia
    October 7, 2015 at 5:07 pm (8 months ago)

This salmon was amazing. I didn’t put any sauce on it. First time I have ever pan fried salmon. It will be very hard to bake it ever again!!! Thank you so much 🙂

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      October 7, 2015 at 6:31 pm (8 months ago)

Awesome!! Thank you so much for letting me know Julia 🙂

5. Cassmosphere
    October 9, 2015 at 10:57 pm (8 months ago)

I’ve never replied before. But I have to say this is the Salmon to Perfection. Un-f@#$&-believable deliciousness. Thank you!!

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      October 10, 2015 at 1:59 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you for letting me know you loved it! 🙂

6. Delaney
    October 15, 2015 at 7:54 pm (8 months ago)

Oh my gosh! I loooove salmon and always order it in restaurants, but I never make it at home because I’ve dried it out before and that seemed like such a waste. This was SO easy and tastes better than some I’ve ordered in restaurants. I will definitely be buying salmon regularly now. Thanks a million!

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      October 15, 2015 at 10:11 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you so much for letting me know! I’m glad to hear that you’ll be buying salmon again — I don’t even order it at restaurants anymore because it actually turns out better at home 🙂

7. MamatheFox
    November 16, 2015 at 4:22 pm (7 months ago)

I love salmon but never was able to successully cook it, until now! Thank you for the simple way to cook it on the stove top. I pinned this and will be referring to it again.

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      November 16, 2015 at 7:59 pm (7 months ago)

I’m so glad you’re finally able to enjoy salmon now! Thanks for letting me know 🙂

8. maenfayne
    January 19, 2016 at 8:04 pm (4 months ago)

WOW! I mean seriously WOW! This really does make the perfect salmon. Thank you so much for this post. We’re starting to incorporate salmon into our meals more and more and this simple technique has turned my attitude from grumble grumble to NOM NOM!

9. Brenda
    January 20, 2016 at 6:53 am (4 months ago)

Looks delicious! When you “steam” the salmon, is it covered?

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      January 20, 2016 at 11:37 am (4 months ago)

Yes, once you flip the salmon and turn off the heat, cover and steam for the remaining half of the cooking time. Enjoy! 🙂

10. Sara K
    January 21, 2016 at 1:21 pm (4 months ago)

I’ve never cooked salmon before and I plan on making this tonight but do I leave the skin on or take it off?! And if I do take it off, how?!

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      January 21, 2016 at 5:49 pm (4 months ago)

We always leave the skin on and remove before serving. You can slide it right off with a spatula easily once it’s cooked. Enjoy!!

11. D
    February 23, 2016 at 5:11 pm (3 months ago)

I just made this and it was awesome. Salmon has never been my favorite, but my hubs and son love it. I never really knew a good way to prepare it, so I would just bake and/or broil it. And it came out eh, ok. But this method was amazing! So simple to follow, and the crust made all the difference. iI served it over some fresh spinach and kale, and with some fried rice. So glad I found this post. Now I love salmon!

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      February 23, 2016 at 11:46 pm (3 months ago)

Thank you for letting me know you tried it! It makes me so happy to convert people to salmon lovers 🙂

12. Andrea
    March 12, 2016 at 12:00 pm (3 months ago)

This is not how you cook salmon ‘perfectly.’ You can see in the pictures that the albumin (chunky white stuff) is coming out of the salmon. It was cooked too quickly at too high of a temp. This technique is how you OVERCOOK the heck out of salmon.

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      March 12, 2016 at 12:36 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Andrea — While I appreciate all respectful feedback, from your comment it doesn’t sound like you have actually tried this method before offering your critique. Many other trusted food sites (The NY Times, for example) do recommend cooking quickly at high heat when sautéing salmon. I prefer my salmon done medium, and this technique works every time.

13. Carlena
    March 12, 2016 at 4:32 pm (3 months ago)

So do I put the salmon in right after the coconut oil melts? And also, is it best the salmon is at room temp or can I cook it straight outta the fridge?

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      March 13, 2016 at 11:58 am (3 months ago)

Hi Carlena – Yes, you can add the salmon as soon as the oil melts. My husband actually lets his salmon sit out while he preps the rest of the meal so it will be closer to room temperature when he cooks it. Hope that answers everything! 🙂

• Carlena
        March 13, 2016 at 12:27 pm (3 months ago)

Awesome! Thanks so much:)) I can’t wait for dinner tonight!!!