My husband figured out a surprisingly simple trick to cook restaurant style salmon — it’s seriously amazing!! (And you can too with his foolproof method that works every time!)
Salmon is our family’s favorite main dish (including the kids!) When salmon is cooked perfectly, there’s nothing better!
It always surprises me when I’m chatting about food with a someone and they tell me they’ve never tasted salmon before.
Most of the time it’s because they’re not sure how to prepare it – or think it’s too complicated to do at home. However, with our “secret” trick to cook perfect salmon, there’s no excuse not to give it a try!
How to Cook Restaurant Style Salmon
Salmon is a wonderful addition to your weekly meal plan — delicious, full of nutrients (Protein, Omegas, Vitamin D…just to name a few), and if you stock up when it’s on sale, you can snag this premium protein at an awesome price!
My husband prepares salmon with a variety of seasonings and sauces (one of our most-loved recipes is Citrus Leek Salmon and Shrimp, pictured below), and it is perfect. Every. Single. Time.
The key isn’t what you flavor your salmon with – the trick is how you cook it.
This method is literally foolproof. Follow the steps below and you’ll end up with salmon that rivals what is served in fancy restaurants!
I’ve even tried it myself and achieved the same results as my talented hubby so I had to share so you too can cook perfect salmon! (I’m not much of a cook, so if I can do this anyone can!)
Grab a free printable copy of this recipe for restaurant style salmon at the end of the post.
Affiliate links are included for your convenience; disclosure policy available here.
How to Prepare Perfect Restaurant Style Salmon at Home:
Lightly salt and pepper salmon filets (6-8oz each).
Give the pan a little shake right after you put on the salmon, so they are sure not to stick.
Pro Trick: My husband says: HOT pan, COLD oil — make sure the pan is heated and ready to go before adding oil (this will help prevent sticking).
Once salmon is cooked halfway through, flip so skin side is facing down. You will see a distinct line in the middle of the filet when it’s time to flip (about 7-10 minutes).
Look at that beautiful crust on top — yum!!
Turn off heat, cover, and let steam ten minutes for medium doneness. (If you like your salmon medium-well, add 2-3 extra minutes).
And that’s it!
Super easy, and pretty much foolproof (hey, if I can cook perfect salmon, anyone can!)
Now that you know how to cook perfect salmon, try this recipe for Pan-Seared Salmon with Thai “Secret Sauce” — it’s light, healthy, and delicious!
Pro Tools to Cook Restaurant Style Salmon:
- My husband loves his Kila Chef 11″ Tri-Ply Copper Bottom Frying Pan and Kila Chef 11″ Tri-Ply Copper Bottom Frying Pan (0.5mm copper)— you get the benefits of cooking with copper, without the insane price tag! It’s the perfect gift for the chef in your family (I gave him this set for his birthday last year and he uses one or both of these pans every single day!)
- A fish spatula (yep, it’s a thing!) will help you turn the filets with ease.
- We also love these locking kitchen tongs — they’re the perfect length and the locking design makes them easy to store. (We have these extra long tongs for outdoor grilling too).
Grab a free printable copy of this restaurant style salmon recipe:
- Salmon filets (6-8oz each)
- Coconut oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
- Salt & pepper
- Lightly salt and pepper salmon filets.
- Place salmon filets skin side up on a frying pan lightly coated with coconut oil (or cooking oil of your choice). Make sure pan is hot before adding oil.
- Once salmon is cooked halfway through, flip so skin side is facing down. (You will see a distinct line in the middle of the filet when it's time to flip (about 7-10 minutes).
- Turn off heat, cover, and let steam ten minutes for medium doneness. (If you like your salmon medium-well, add 2-3 extra minutes).
Follow my recipe board on Pinterest to get the very latest and greatest from the Soccer Mom Blog kitchen!
Be sure to pin this method to cook perfect salmon on Pinterest:
Get a FREE Daily Goal Planner!
Join thousands of moms & dads in sharing ideas and positivity by subscribing to the Soccer Mom Blog Weekly Inspiration Newsletter - and get a FREE Daily Goal Planner, too!
Last updated on October 28th, 2017 at 10:33 pm
Have you ever thought about starting a blog of your own? Click here to find out more!
Follow the Soccer Mom Blog on Pinterest - Facebook- Twitter - Instagram