My husband figured out how to cook salmon like the restaurants do — it’s seriously amazing!! (And you can too with his foolproof method that works every time!)
Salmon is our family’s favorite main dish (including the kids!) When salmon is cooked perfectly, there’s nothing better!
Yes — YOU Can Cook Salmon at Home
It always surprises me when I’m chatting about food with a someone and they tell me they’ve never tasted salmon before.
Most of the time it’s because they’re not sure how to prepare it – or think it’s too complicated to do at home.
However, with our “secret” trick to cook perfect salmon, there’s no excuse not to give it a try!
Keep reading for photo step-by-step instructions, or click here to jump to printable recipe at bottom of post.
How to Cook Salmon Perfectly Every Single Time
Why Salmon? Salmon is a wonderful addition to your weekly meal plan — it’s delicious and full of nutrients (Protein, Omega 3s, Vitamin D, and good fats…just to name a few).
Isn’t salmon expensive? It doesn’t have to be! If you stock up when it’s on sale, you can snag this premium protein at an awesome price! Our family cooks salmon once a week, but we never pay full price.
What can I serve salmon with? My husband prepares salmon with a variety of seasonings and sauces (one of our most-loved recipes is Citrus Leek Salmon and Shrimp, pictured below), and it is perfect. Every. Single. Time.
I’ve included links to more of our favorite salmon recipes later in the post too.
The key isn’t what you flavor your salmon with – the trick is how you cook it.
This method is literally foolproof.
Follow the steps below and you’ll end up with salmon that rivals what is served in fancy restaurants!
I’ve even tried it myself and achieved the same results as my talented hubby so I had to share so you too can learn how to cook salmon perfectly (I’m not much of a cook, so if I can do this anyone can!)
Grab a free printable copy of this recipe for restaurant style salmon at the end of the post.
PS- I’ve included shop-able ad links to products we love and use for our pan-seared salmon recipe; disclosure policy available here.
How to Cook Restaurant-Style Salmon at Home:
STEP 1 – To start, lightly salt and pepper your salmon filets (about 6-8 ounces each).
STEP 2- Place salmon filets skin side up on a lightly greased Frying Pan over medium heat. (We love and use coconut oil for most of our cooking projects, though you may use any cooking oil you prefer).
Give the pan a little shake right after you put on the salmon, so they are sure not to stick.
Pro Trick: My husband says: HOT pan, COLD oil — make sure the pan is heated and ready to go before adding oil (this will help prevent sticking).
STEP 3- Once salmon is cooked halfway through, flip so skin side is facing down. You will see a distinct line in the middle of the filet when it’s time to flip (about 7-10 minutes).
Look at that beautiful crust on top — yum!!
STEP 4- Turn off heat, cover, and let salmon filets steam ten minutes for medium doneness. (If you like your salmon medium-well, add 2-3 extra minutes).
Super easy, and pretty much foolproof — hey, if I can cook perfect salmon, anyone can!
Related: Now that you know how to cook perfect salmon, try this recipe for Pan-Seared Salmon with Thai “Secret Sauce” — it’s light, healthy, and delicious!
Pro Tools to Cook Restaurant Style Salmon at Home:
- My husband loves his Kila Chef 11″ Tri-Ply Copper Bottom Frying Pan and Kila Chef 11″ Tri-Ply Copper Bottom Frying Pan (0.5mm copper)— you get the benefits of cooking with copper, without the insane price tag! It’s the perfect gift for the chef in your family (I gave him this set for his birthday last year and he uses one or both of these pans every single day!)
- A fish spatula (yep, it’s a thing!) will help you turn the filets with ease.
- We also love these locking kitchen tongs — they’re the perfect length and the locking design makes them easy to store. (We have these extra long tongs for outdoor grilling too).
Make Cooking Fun (and Easy!)
Make Cooking Fun (and Easy!)
Want to Remember How to Cook Salmon Perfectly?
Bookmark this page or print our free copy of this pan seared salmon recipe below!
PS- If you love this recipe, rate it!
A foolproof method to cook perfect salmon every single time!
- Salmon filets 6-8oz each
- Coconut oil or cooking oil of your choice
- Salt & pepper
- Lightly salt and pepper salmon filets.
- Place salmon filets skin side up on a frying pan lightly coated with coconut oil (or cooking oil of your choice). Make sure pan is hot before adding oil.
- Once salmon is cooked halfway through, flip so skin side is facing down. (You will see a distinct line in the middle of the filet when it's time to flip (about 7-10 minutes).
- Turn off heat, cover, and let steam ten minutes for medium doneness. (If you like your salmon medium-well, add 2-3 extra minutes).
Note: Nutrition information is a rough estimate only; actual values will vary based on the exact ingredients used and amount of recipe prepared.
Follow my recipe board on Pinterest to get the very latest and greatest from the Soccer Mom Blog kitchen!
More of our favorite salmon recipes and cooking methods:
Want to switch it up? Find out how to bake salmon in foil for an easy weeknight dinner!
Last updated on July 29th, 2019 at 02:44 pm