Moist, fluffy, and full of chocolate, these Air Fryer Double Chocolate Muffins taste like they came from a bakery — but you can easily bake them from scratch in your Air Fryer!
Air Fryer Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
When I was a kid, my grandmothers would both keep a stash of giant muffins in their freezers. I think a Sams Club had just come to town and they definitely made use of it to fill up their freezers!
Those big double chocolate chip muffins were my favorite because they were so chocolate-y and filled with chocolate chips. But the best part was the crunchy sugar baked into the tops of the muffins. SO yummy!
With this air fryer muffins recipe you can make those same double chocolate muffins at home! These are jumbo muffins, just like the kind you get at a bakery!
So much rich chocolate flavor, creamy bits of milk chocolate, and that perfect sugar crunch on top — these decadent chocolate chocolate chip muffins are one of the best things you’ll ever make in your air fryer!
Why is an Air Fryer Better than an Oven?
It’s not necessarily that an air fryer is better than a traditional oven, but there are definitely benefits to making baked goods in an air fryer!
First, an air fryer is more efficient and uses less energy than an oven. When it’s summertime and you don’t want to heat up the whole kitchen with your oven, the air fryer is an excellent alternative.
Second, due to its design and rapid heat circulation, an air fryer will bake your muffins faster than a conventional oven. Saving time is always a plus!
Finally, an air fryer can create a contrast in textures that you can’t quite achieve in an oven. The result is muffins with a chewy exterior and a soft and moist interior. Absolutely perfect every time!
Don’t be intimidated by the seemingly long ingredient list! These are all basic pantry staples that you probably have on hand at home.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon + 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons coarse sugar sprinkles
Kitchen Tools Used
I’ve included shop-able ad links for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; disclosure policy available here.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl. In separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients into bowl of the wet ingredients, stirring to mix, but taking care not to over-beat.
- Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips into the muffin batter with a spatula. Spray the jumbo cupcake lines with oil and place them in the air fryer basket.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin liners, so that they are about 3/4 of the way full. Press a few chocolate chips into the top of each muffin and sprinkle with sugar.
Cook Time: Air Fry at 375°F for 4 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°F for 11 minutes, or until the center of the muffins are done.
- If you’re not sure whether or not the muffins are done baking, stick a toothpick in the center of one of the muffins. If the toothpick comes out clean, they are done. If the toothpick has wet batter stuck to it, they need a bit more cooking time.
- Change up the flavor of your muffins by using white chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. You can also omit the chocolate chips altogether if you like a less sweet muffin.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Freeze the Muffins?
Yes, you can freeze these muffins — they will keep for 2-3 months in the freezer. To do so, individually wrap each muffin in plastic wrap and place them in a gallon size freezer bag.
To thaw, allow to defrost at room temperature, then heat in a toaster oven. You can also microwave for a few seconds, but take care not to overdo it.
Can You Bake the Muffins in One Batch?
For us, this recipe yielded 9 extra-large muffins. Pictured here is an 8-quart air fryer, which fit 5 muffins into the basket at a time. For us this required baking in 2 batches. Of course, depending on the size of your air fryer and the muffin cups used, this could vary.
Can You Use Paper Muffin Cups in an Air Fryer?
Yes, you can use paper muffin liners in an air fryer. We used silicone liners because they peel right off the muffins easily, plus they can be washed and re-used over and over. We’ve had the same set of silicone cupcake liners for years!
However, if you’re baking these for a classroom, bake sale, etc. it would make sense to use paper cups.
Can You Make this Recipe Gluten Free?
Sure! Look for a gluten free flour that is designed as a 1:1 substitute for all-purpose flour. You may also want to check the labels on other packaged ingredients to make sure they are produced in a facility without cross-contamination, if that is a concern.
More of Our Best Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Fried Ice Cream
- Air Fryer Soft Pretzels
- Cheesy Air Fryer Breadsticks
- Air Fried Lasagna Roll-Ups
- Air Fryer Strawberry Chimichangas
- Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Pot Pies
Air Fryer Chocolate Muffin Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you tried this recipe and loved it, please rate it!
Air Fryer Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1 Air Fryer
- 9 Muffin cups
- 2 3/4 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder + 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Butter melted and cooled
- 1 1/4 cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 3 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ cups Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 Tablespoons Coarse Sugar Sprinkles
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl.
- In separate mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients into bowl of the wet ingredients, stirring to mix, but taking care not to over-beat. Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Spray the jumbo cupcake liners with oil and place them in the air fryer basket. Scoop batter into the cups so they are 3/4 of the way full. Place a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin and sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
- Air fry at 375°F for 4 minutes, the. Drop heat to 325°F and cook for 11 more minutes, until the center is done.
Pin this double chocolate muffin recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: