Delicious, nutritious, and ready in 30 minutes or less! This restaurant-quality California Walnut Crusted Salmon is an easy meal perfect for busy weeknights and special occasions alike! Sponsored by California walnuts; all opinions are my own.
Easy California Walnut Crusted Salmon
We have a tradition in our house known as “Salmon Mondays.” Salmon is our daughters’ favorite protein, so we stock up when it’s on sale. That way we can enjoy it at least once a week.
Because we eat salmon a lot, we’re always looking for new ways to “jazz it up” — we’ve made everything from salmon hand rolls to salmon in foil. This week we tried a quick walnut crusted salmon using California walnuts.
WOW!! Not only does it look gorgeous, this walnut salmon is incredibly flavorful! Our girls loved this new recipe and there were hardly any leftovers!
It might just be my new favorite!
Just a few reasons I love this recipe:
- Gluten free
- Over 40 grams of protein per serving
- Provides 20% of your recommended daily value of calcium
Wholesome, delicious, easy, and fast — it’s pretty much the perfect meal! Let’s get cooking!
California Walnut Crusted Salmon Ingredients
- Fresh salmon filets
- California Walnuts
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Stone ground mustard
- Coconut oil
TIP: For a dairy-free version of our walnut crusted salmon recipe, simply omit the parmesan cheese or substitute with non-dairy parmesan cheese.
How to Make California Walnut Crusted Salmon
First, watch our quick demo video to see how we make our walnut salmon, then keep reading for prep tips and a free printable copy of the recipe.
Click video to play:
Let’s talk about the ingredients…
The Crust: California Walnuts
I love salmon on its own, but the addition of our walnut parmesan crust amps up both the flavor and nutrition in this easy dinner!
California walnuts are packed with good fats, with 2.5 grams of omega 3 ALA per ounce – that’s more than any other tree nut! In addition, per ounce, walnuts have protein (4g), fiber (2g) and are a good source of magnesium (45mg). Walnuts have also been researched for their potential role in a variety of health outcomes, including cognitive function, heart health, cancer, diabetes, weight, gut health and reproductive health.
Beyond the potential health benefits, California walnuts also add a unique flavor and texture to a wide variety of recipes. You can incorporate them in everything from baked goods to salads to dinner recipes like our Walnut Crusted Salmon.
Even on a busy day, you can have a nutritious meal on the table in less than 30 minutes with our quick walnut crusted salmon.
- For more simple, delicious recipes using California walnuts, visit Walnuts.org
The Protein: Fresh Salmon
You could use this walnut crust on any type of fish you prefer, but salmon is definitely our favorite.
Not only does it hold up well during cooking (some types of fish are quite fragile), but salmon is also very nutrient-dense.
Plus, it tastes amazing and our kids love it too!
Related: We used my husband’s foolproof pan-sauté method for our walnut crusted salmon. Click here to see our detailed photo guide to cook perfect salmon!
Grab a Free Printable Copy of our Walnut Crusted Salmon Recipe:
California Walnut Crusted Salmon
- 4 Salmon filets 8-10oz each
- 1 cup California walnuts
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Tablespoon Garlic powder
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Tablespoon Stone ground mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut oil for cooking
- Combine California walnuts, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder in food processor and chop until mixture is a crumb-like consistency. Spread on a plate.
- Whisk eggs and mustard together in a bowl.
- Dip the top of each salmon filet in the egg wash, allowing excess to drip back into the bowl.
- Gently place the salmon filets, face-down, into the crumbs to coat.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. When pan is ready, coat with coconut oil.
- Place salmon filets in pan, face-down, and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Flip salmon filets, cover pan, and turn off heat. Steam for 10-15 minutes.