This “Key to My Heart Card” is a thoughtful kid-made card idea that’s perfect for just about any occasion, from Mother’s Day to Valentine’s Day! Personalize our free template with your child’s photo!
You Hold the Key to My Heart Card
When I was a kid I had a necklace with a heart-shaped key pendant. It wasn’t real gold or anything, but I absolutely loved it! For some reason, I’ve always loved the whole “key to my heart” thing.
This card is inspired by my childhood necklace — I designed it with Mother’s Day in mind, but it can be easily customized for any occasion! In addition to Mother’s Day, you could also use this design as a kid-made Father’s Day card, Grandparent’s Day card, or a Valentine’s Day card!
What Does the Phrase “You Have the Key to My Heart” Mean?
There’s no hidden meaning here — it’s exactly as it sounds!
To say that someone has the key to your heart means that that you hold them close to your heart — they can “unlock” your heart because there is so much love there!
Yep, it’s totally corny! But I love it!
If there is a special person in your child’s life, this is the perfect card for them to make to show just how much they mean to them!
For your convenience in re-creating this craft, I’ve provided shop-able ad links to the supplies we used; read our disclosure policy here.
Supplies Needed for Our Heart Key Card
It’s possible that many of us will still be under a stay-at-home order for Mother’s Day this year. That’s why I wanted to design a Mother’s Day card that was easy and only required the most basic craft supplies: colorful paper, scissors, and glue.
- Key to My Heart Card Template (see below)
- White cardstock or construction paper
- Gold cardstock or construction paper
- Child’s Photo
- Kids craft scissors
- Glue sticks
To get access to my free printable library, enter your email address in the form below:
Photo Step-by-Step Instructions
There’s also a free printable instruction card at the bottom of this blog post, below the photo tutorial.
First, download the free template. You can print onto printer paper, cut out, and then trace onto your cardstock -OR- print directly onto your gold cardstock.
Use glue stick to coat the back of the heart-shaped side of the key.
Line up child’s photo behind the key, so that they are centered in the middle of the heart.
Press down to secure the photo to the glue on the back of the heart.
Use scissors to trim excess photo around the outside of the heart.
Use glue stick to attach the key to a piece of white cardstock.
Write your message underneath the key. Feel free to use our example, or get creative with it! You can also add more decorations if you like – we kept it simple here so you can let your imaginations run wild!
More kid-made card ideas:
We’ve put together BIG collections of our favorites kid-made card and craft ideas for all occasions! These are from our own site and some of our blogger friends! Click the links below to check out these compilations:
- 21 Personalized Father’s Day Cards to Make
- 24 Homemade Mother’s Day Card Ideas
- 20+ Kid-Made Gift Ideas for Grandparents
- 20+ Valentine Crafts for Kids
More Homemade Valentine’s Day Crafts for Kids
If you’re looking for more ideas that are perfect for kids to make for Valentine’s Day, here are some of our favorites:
- “Love You to Pieces” Valentine’s Puzzle Wreath
- 3D Love Bud Valentine Craft
- “Piece of My Heart” Pop-Up Card
- Conversation Heart Votives
“Key to My Heart Card” Printable Instructions
Key to My Heart Card
- Glue stick
- Key to my Heart Printable Template
- White & Gold Cardstock
- Child's photo
- Print the key to my heart card template on gold card stock and cut out.
- Cover the back of the key - on the heart side - with glue stick.
- Line up child's photo so that they are centered in the middle of the heart.
- Press down to attach photo to the glue on the back of the heart.
- Use scissors to trim excess photo.
- Glue the key to a piece of white cardstock.
- Write your message underneath the key.
Pin this You Have the Key to My Heart Card on Pinterest
You might also like: