Warm flour tortillas, perfectly seasoned ground beef, and melty cheese combine to create the perfect appetizer! Our Grande Mexican Pizza is sized for sharing with your family— it’s a guaranteed pleaser! Sponsored by Old El Paso Cheese.
The Best Mexican Pizza
Mexican food is one of my husband’s specialties, so when Old El Paso asked us to create a super cheesy dish, he knew just what to make!
This Mexican Pizza is packed with zesty Mexican flavor…and of course, cheese! As soon as it came out of the oven, all the kids started crowding around the counter asking to try a bite!
I’ve always been a fan of this dish, but this might be my favorite rendition ever!
What is Mexican Pizza?
Mexican pizza is essentially a taco in the shape of a pizza — a delicious combination of two of the best foods ever invented!
First you start with a warm flour tortilla, then you layer it with traditional taco fillings like seasoned ground beef and refried beans. Then you top it with another tortilla, lots of melty cheese, and your favorite taco fixin’s — it’s simple, easy to make, and absolutely crave-worthy!
Most Mexican Pizzas that I’ve seen are personal sized, made with taco tortillas. We decided to make what we call a “fiesta sized” Mexican Pizza, which is big enough to share with your family!
Mexican Pizza Ingredients
- Ground beef — Cooked and drained
- Taco seasoning — We love Old El Paso Original Taco Seasoning, which comes in convenient 1-ounce packets.
- Flour tortillas — Grande or burrito size
- Refried beans — Warmed
- Old El Paso Shredded Cheese (Mexican Style Taco Blend) — A delicious blend of Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses with taco seasonings that adds so much flavor to our taco pizza (or any recipe!)
- Red enchilada sauce
- Tomatoes — Chopped or diced
- Cilantro & sour cream — Or any of your favorite taco toppings!
We created this extra large, extra cheesy taco pizza to celebrate the launch of Old El Paso’s new line of shredded cheeses. However, Old El Paso makes almost all of the ingredients needed for this recipe!
Old El Paso has made Mexican food and ingredients accessible to everyone for almost 100 years, so they’re our go-to for pantry staples!
Refried beans? Old El Paso’s got ’em!
Taco seasoning? Nobody does it better than Old El Paso!
We keep our pantry stocked with Old El Paso products such as seasoning and beans, then just add in fresh veggies and protein as needed. That way we can put together a hearty and delicious Mexican meal anytime…fast!
NEW Old El Paso shredded cheeses come in 6 varieties:
- Finely Shredded Cheddar
- Mexican 4-Cheese
- Mexican Taco Blend
- Monterrey Jack
- 3-Pepper Blend
They’re available now at most major grocery stores nationwide!
Click here to learn about Old El Paso’s new shredded cheese and find more recipe inspiration!
How to Make Mexican Pizza
The first things you want to do are preheat your oven on the “broil” setting, heat up the refried beans, and cook your ground beef.
Be sure to drain the grease from the meat before adding to your pizza!
Once that’s done, all you have to do is build your pizza — easy!
Here’s a photo step-by step:
When everything is layered, place in the broiler for about 2 minutes to melt the cheese on top. You may want to rotate the pan halfway through for even cooking.
After removing from the oven, add any of your favorite taco toppings, like tomatoes, cilantro, and sour cream.
Slice and enjoy!
TIP: A printable copy of the recipe ingredients and instructions is available at the bottom of the post.
Can you use taco sized tortillas?
The “original” Taco Bell Mexican pizza uses smaller tortillas than the ones pictured here, for a personal sized portion.
If you use smaller tortillas, this recipe will make 2-3 pizzas (depending on just how small of tortillas you use).
Where are the olives?
The original Taco Bell Mexican pizza did have olives, but they stopped serving olives altogether a few years ago. And then they discontinued the dish too!
You’re welcome to add olives when you make this recipe. My husband simply doesn’t like them, which is why we omitted them.
More of our favorite pizza recipes
- Healthy Sweet Potato Pizza with BBQ Chicken
- Yeast Free Gluten Free Pizza Dough
- American Flag Fruit Pizza
Mexican Pizza Recipe (Printable Copy)
Tried this recipe? We’d love to hear what you think in the comments!
Copycat Mexican Pizza Recipe
- pizza stone or baking sheet
- small frying pan
- 1 pound ground beef cooked and drained
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning based on 1oz packet
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup Old El Paso Shredded Cheese Mexican Taco Blend
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup tomatoes chopped
- Cilantro & sour cream for garnish
- Cook ground beef with taco seasoning, until browned. Drain and set aside.
- Heat tortillas on a flat plate or skillet, flipping as needed, until each side starts to crisp up and brown slightly.
- On a pizza stone or non-stick baking sheet, layer one tortilla, refried beans, cheese, and ground beef.
- Top with another tortilla.
- Spread 3-4 Tablespoons enchilada sauce on top of the tortilla, leaving about 1/2" dry around the edge.
- Top with cheese, again leaving 1/2" space around the edge of the tortilla.
- Place in broiler for 2 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, then top with chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and sour cream.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest:
If you like our copycat Taco Bell Mexican Pizza recipe, you might also like: