Have you ever thought about what you would tell your younger self if you could go back in time? These are the things I wish I could tell my younger self and the life lessons I want to pass along to my own daughters. Sponsored by Paramount Pictures Corporation.
Do you remember what it was like to be a kid?
I remember wanting to grow up as fast as possible! I wanted to get married, get a job, make money, buy things.
Now that I’m “all grown up,” I look back at those days and wish I could shake my younger self and tell her: “enjoy your youth for as long as you can!!”
I love my life as an adult, but it was definitely a journey to get here. A part of me wishes I could tell my younger self a few things and skip over some of the mistakes I made. Because we ALL make a few certifiable mistakes in our life!
Since I can’t tell actually go back in time and talk to my younger self, these are the life lessons I try to teach my own daughters.
What I Wish I Could Tell My Younger Self
1. The world is going to try to make you grow up faster than you want. Don’t let it! Stay a little girl for as long as you can. There will be plenty of time later to worry about stuff like boys and bills. Being a kid rules. Embrace it!
2. Play! Dress up! Sing, dance, and act silly! Have fun! Just because you can. Joy and happiness keep you younger.
3. Use your imagination as much as possible. Like anything else in life, if you don’t use it, you lose it — and your imagination is one of your biggest assets.
4. Your family will always have your back. Your family will also make you madder than anyone else on the planet at times. That’s because they love you and are honest with you.
5. Sometimes that honesty hurts, and you’ll want to rebel against them. Sometimes you need to go out on your own and try things YOUR way. Sometimes you’ll be right! Sometimes you’ll make mistakes. Just remember that your family will always be there to catch you when you fall. Let them.
6. Everybody hurts sometimes, but feelings are temporary. Whatever it is that seems overwhelming now, you WILL get through it.
7. No one remembers if you had the coolest clothes in school. I promise, they won’t care twenty years from now if you got “best dressed” or not. (I say this from experience!) People won’t remember what you wore, but they will remember how you treated them.
8. Don’t worry about being popular so much. Instead, worry about being kind. You don’t need 50 friends to be happy. All you need is one person who “gets” you – this is your person.
9. When you find that person, love them fiercely. Make time for them. Listen to them. Nurture that friendship. Even if life takes you to opposite ends of the country, that person will always be there for you. Time and distance don’t matter when it comes to true friendship.
10. Always keep an open mind. Sometimes it is the most unexpected places and people that bring the most joy to your life.
11. Take care of your body and mind. Eat vegetables. Exercise – find something fun you like to do and keep doing that thing. You’ll be so glad you did when you’re my age!
12. Don’t smoke. It’s gross and bad for you. It does NOT make you look cool.
13. Don’t try to be like everyone else. Copies are boring, and they’re never as good as the original. A knock-off purse will never look as good or cost as much as the original. But something new and different will become the next big thing.
14. There are always going to be people in your life that give you a hard time. Right now it might be a school bully. When you’re a grown-up it might be a tough boss. When people are mean, it’s usually because they are hurting inside.
15. You know that old saying, “kill ’em with kindness?” Try it! Be nice to those meanies and you might be surprised how well that works.
16. However, there are times when you’ll run into people in life that are simply toxic. I don’t know why people want to live that way, but some people do. Know when to cut your losses and cut toxic people out of your life.
17. Don’t pretend to be someone you’re not. Confidence is contagious. Love yourself and others will love you too. And if they don’t, that’s their loss! There will be plenty of other people who do love YOU.
18. You’re going to receive lots of advice throughout your life. Some of it is good, some of it is bad. Follow your heart, pray, and you’ll find your way.
19. There is only one you. The world NEEDS you because you bring something to the table that no one else can. You have ideas that no one else will. You are a treasure just because you’re you.
20. You’ll never be perfect. So stop trying! And there’s no such thing as “perfect” anyway. In the words of JoJo Siwa, “you may not be perfect, but you’re still amazing!”
JoJo Siwa Got It Right
Our kids are bombarded from all angles with celebrities, music, movies, and messages telling them what is “cool” and what to do. Even more than we were because we didn’t have social media!
That’s why I’m always excited to find positive role models.
When my kids first introduced me to JoJo Siwa, I thought she was super over-the-top. Ok, she is! But you know what? After watching some of her shows and specials, I get it now. And I respect it!
JoJo Siwa is unabashedly herself.
She likes bows. Big bows. LOTS of bows. And she made a business out of bows!
I love that JoJo took something she loved, something a few other people might have thought was silly, and she made it her own. And it was a slammin’ success!
There’s something almost magical when the girls put on their JoJo Siwa bows…they feel fierce y’all!!
As a parent I also love that JoJo is a positive role model for kids of all ages — she’s the kind of person kids want to be best friends with and a parent wants to be best friends with their kids. Plus, unlike some other shows aimed at tweens and teens that push the envelope, JoJo Siwa keeps it clean — it’s all about having fun.
JoJo is growing up, but she’s still not afraid to play, have fun, and be herself. I love that she’s not trying to be too “grown up” too soon.
This fall, kids can celebrate JoJo’s sweet sixteen along with her in Jojo Siwa: Sweet Celebrations — now available on DVD!
The new Nickelodeon DVD features the JoJo Dream Birthday Special which takes viewers along on an emoji…ahem, “bow-moji” — scavenger hunt for the most magical 24 hours of her life! There are also 6 episodes of the JoJo and BowBow Show, which my daughters adore!
With the holidays coming up, this is a great stocking stuffer and a must-have for any JoJo Siwa fan!
Giveaway Time: Enter to Win Jojo Siwa: Sweet Celebrations on DVD
Two lucky readers will win a copy of the new DVD Jojo Siwa: Sweet Celebrations. To enter, simply complete the giveaway widget below:
*Two winners will be chosen at random after giveaway ends. Winners will have 24 hours to claim prize or an alternate will be chosen. One winner per household; 18+; open to continental US.
You might also like:
If you liked this post about things I wish I could tell my younger self, then be sure to read more of our most popular posts about positive parenting:
Latest posts by Stacey aka the Soccer Mom (see all)
- Penguin Painted Rocks – Cute Christmas Painted Rocks - December 4, 2019
- Candy Cane Cake – Peppermint Layer Cake Recipe - December 3, 2019
- Santa Sensory Bottles DIY - December 2, 2019
Last updated on December 2nd, 2019 at 01:00 pm