This colorful, scented, edible, all-around amazing Unicorn Poop Play Dough recipe is a sensory play experience that your kids will love!
Unicorn Play Dough
Last week we made Birthday Cake Batter Edible Play Dough. That was fun and all, but today we took it one step further…unicorn style!!
This Unicorn Poop Play Dough is a treat for all your senses! We start with a soft, malleable dough that smells just like birthday cake batter.
Next we add a rainbow of vibrant colors and scents to make it even more awesome. And then we top it all with sprinkles! Because sprinkles make everything better!
What is Unicorn Poop?
Unicorn Poop?! Don’t worry…nothing yucky here!
“Unicorn poop” is a made up term for anything rainbow and sparkly and magical. The more extravagant the better!
Rainbow Play Dough Ingredients
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; disclosure policy here.
Note: I didn’t use exact measurements for this recipe, so you can adjust to make as much or as little as you’d like. Simply keep a 3-to-1 ratio of cornstarch to frosting.
How to Make Unicorn Poop Play Dough
The first step is to make our cake batter play dough (CLICK HERE for the recipe). You can use any white play dough really, but we love our delicious recipe! Plus, it is taste safe!
Tip: While mixing your dough, continue adding cornstarch a spoonful at a time until you have a soft, moldable ball of dough that does not stick to hands.
Now Make it Rainbow!
Break your dough into smaller chunks, each about the size of a golf ball. Make one ball of dough for each flavor of Jello you’re using. You can use as many colors as you like — we did four different flavors of Jello.
Add about 1 tablespoon of Jello to each ball of dough.
Knead by hand until color is evenly distributed. If needed, add more Jello until you have a vibrant color.
Once all of your balls of dough are colored, put them all together and knead into one large ball of dough.
As you play, the colors will swirl around for a neat-o rainbow effect. You can even toss on some sprinkles for even more fun!
Tips for making perfect play dough:
- If dough begins to dry out while kids are playing, simply fold in a few drops of water to soften.
- Even though this dough is edible, you probably don’t want anyone to eat a whole bunch of it. Always supervise young children while they play.
- Since this dough is made from food ingredients, you may want to discard after a day of play and make a fresh batch next time.
Printable Rainbow Play Dough Recipe
Edible Unicorn Play Dough Recipe
- 1 part white frosting
- 3 parts corn starch
- Combine a teaspoon of cornstarch with a Tablespoon of water in a medium mixing bowl. Stir until dissolved.
- Add frosting to bowl and stir. Use a ratio of 1:3 frosting to cornstarch, to make your desired size batch.
- Add the rest of the cornstarch a little at a time, stirring until it becomes difficult.
- Finish kneading by hand.
- Divide the dough into equal portions, one ball of dough for each color/flavor of Jello you're using. Add a Tablespoon of Jello powder to each ball of dough.
- Knead until the Jello colors the balls of play dough.
- Combine all the colors into one ball of rainbow play dough and have fun!
More of our Favorite Play Dough Recipes
Get all of our favorite DIY play dough recipes in one place with our Homemade Play Dough Ebook! There are 12 awesome play dough recipes that you can make at home with simple ingredients. Hours of sensory fun for kids and perfect for rainy days!
Try our wildly-popular edible Jello slime: