How cute is this pop-up cupcake card! It’s perfect kid-made Mother’s Day card — Mom will love the sweet photo surprise inside!
Cupcake Mother’s Day Card
The best Mother’s Day gifts are the ones that your kids make — even better if it is something that you can keep and treasure for yeas to come!
This Cupcake Mother’s Day Card features a pop-up photo surprise that kids will have a blast making and moms will adore. Isn’t it sweet? (Pun intended!)
My 3-year old daughter decorated the cupcake card pictured below all by herself (I only helped write “MOM” on the bottom). I just love the tie-dye effect she created using paint markers! (I’ll link to the the markers we use in the supply list below).
It only requires basic craft supplies, and kids can actually make this one (though little hands might need assistance with cutting and gluing).
For your convenience, I’ve provided shop-able ad links to supplies used to make this Mother’s Day Card craft; read our disclosure policy here.
- FREE printable cupcake pattern (Link in instructions)
- colorful card stock or thick paper
- kids photo
- large craft sticks
- glue stick
- decorations of your choice (we love these Kwik Stix paint markers for paper crafts)
How to Make a Cupcake Pop-Up Card
First, print the free cupcake card pattern and cut out the pieces. To get access to my free printable library, enter your email address in the form below:
Trace pieces onto two sheets of card stock: one for the cupcake and one for the frosting. We used different colored paper for each.
Cut photo into a smaller rectangle (about 4″ wide by 3″ high). Glue crafting stick to the middle of back of the photo. Attach cupcake frosting to the crafting stick, with a bit of the frosting overlapping the top of the photo. Set aside to dry.
Apply glue to the sides of the small piece of card stock, about 1/2″ on each side. Attach to the back of the cupcake, at the top. Tuck craft stick between cupcake and the tab you glued on the back.
Decorate your cupcake card with stickers, glitter glue, markers… the only limit is your imagination!
TIP: We love these Kwik Stix paint markers for paper crafts because they are easy for little kids to handle AND they’re practically mess-free (they dry in 90 seconds!)
You’re welcome to use this Mother’s Day poem we created on your card too:
Because you are so sweet
we made you a special treat.
We put a surprise in the middle,
so you’ll always remember us when we were little.
PS- See ALL of our favorite Mother’s Day Card Ideas here:
Printable Instructions to Make this Kid’s Cupcake Craft
Pop-Up Cupcake Mother's Day Card
- Jumbo Craft Stick
- Print and cut out the cupcake pattern.
- Trace pattern onto colorful cardstock or thick paper.
- Cut out child's photo into a smaller rectangle (about 4" wide by 3" high). Glue crafting stick to the middle of back of the photo. Attach cupcake frosting to the crafting stick, with a bit of the frosting overlapping the top of the photo. Set aside to dry.
- Apply glue to the sides of the small piece of card stock, about 1/2" on each side. Attach to the back of the cupcake, at the top. Tuck craft stick between cupcake and the tab you glued on the back.
More Mother’s Day craft and gift ideas:
This kid-made Tape Resist Wall Art also makes a lovely Mother’s Day gift: