Our easy DIY Carpet Deodorizer will make your home smell amazing, just like a fresh apple pie! This natural carpet deodorizer powder is easy to make, works on tough odors, and is safe to use in a home with kids and pets.
Apple Pie Natural Carpet Deodorizer
Our carpets get a lot of foot traffic during the fall and winter months. There are always small bits of dirt and crumbs that get left behind, and even if you vacuum every week, you can’t get rid of the smell. And don’t even get me started on Houston humidity and fighting those moldy or mildew smells!
Porous fibers in carpets and rugs absorb odors and then they are hard to get rid of, even with commercial products. And honestly, I don’t like spraying chemicals all over the house anyway!
That’s why I’m so excited to share this recipe for DIY carpet deodorizer. This natural essential oil carpet deodorizer will take even the toughest odors out of your carpet (even pet odors!), and leave your home with the fresh scents of fall! Plus, it’s safe to use in a home with kids and pets!
This easy five-ingredient apple pie carpet deodorizer takes just minutes to whip up and one batch lasts a long time. Just a tiny bit of this carpet deodorizer will leave your home smelling like fresh apples all autumn long!
DIY Carper Deodorizer Ingredients
For your convenience in making our DIY carpet deodorizer, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the supplies used. Our disclosure policy is available here.
- 2 cups Baking Soda
- 10 drops of Clove Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Ginger Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Nutmeg Essential Oil
- Mason jar with shaker lid
TIP: The initial investment to purchase all the essential oils for this recipe will be around $30-40 (depending on where you shop). However, once you have all the essential oils for this recipe, you’ll have plenty leftover to make future batches. This apple pie carpet deodorizer makes a wonderful homemade gift idea for the holiday season!
How to Make Natural Carpet Powder Deodorizer
Add 2 cups of baking soda to a large mixing bowl.
Add essential oils and mix with a whisk. (You can also mix the oils in a small bowl first, prior to pouring into the baking soda.)
Use whisk or fingers to break up any chunks that formed with the oils and continue to mix.
Pour your homemade carpet deodorizer into a mason jar, using a funnel.
TIP: You can also curl up a piece of sturdy paper to make a quick DIY funnel.
Put the lid on your jar and allow to sit for 20 minutes (or longer) before using.
How to Use DIY Carpet Deodorizer Powder
The best part about this homemade carpet deodorizer powder is that it is super easy to use! You literally can’t mess up!
- Sprinkle DIY carpet deodorizer powder on carpet and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Vacuum as usual until you’ve picked up all the powder.
How to Store Homemade Carpet Deodorizer Powder
You can store your DIY carpet deodorizer powder in the same mason jar in which you made it. There are a few different lid options, depending on your preference:
- A mason jar shaker lid that closes is my favorite to use because it’s easy and slides open to sprinkle the powder, but then you can close it to keep the powder dry.
- Another option is a daisy lid like this one – when you’re not using it, be sure to place an upside-down coffee filter on before screwing the lid down to help keep the baking soda fresh and moisture-free.
- Simply close with a regular lid and put the daisy lid on to use or you can sprinkle the powder by hand.
We hope you love this natural carpet deodorizer recipe as much as we do! A free printable copy of the recipe follows:
Make Cooking Fun (and Easy!)
Grab a free printable copy of our Apple Pie Carpet Deodorizer Tutorial:
If you like this tutorial, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
With just a small amount of this DIY Carpet Deodorizer, your home will smell like a fresh apple pie! Gets out tough odors and is safe to use in a home with kids and pets!
- 2 Cups Baking Soda
- 10 Drops Clove Essential Oil
- 10 Drops Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 10 Drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 5 Drops Nutmeg Essential Oil
Scoop 2 cups of baking soda and into a large mixing bowl.
Add essential oils and whisk.
Use whisk or fingers to break up any chunks that formed.
Use a funnel to pour your DIY carpet powder deodorizer into a mason jar.
Put the lid on and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes before using.
To use, sprinkle on carpet and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Vacuum as usual.
More of our most popular cleaning tricks:
Latest posts by Stacey aka the Soccer Mom (see all)
- White Chocolate Gingerbread Truffles - December 5, 2019
- Penguin Painted Rocks – Cute Christmas Painted Rocks - December 4, 2019
- Candy Cane Cake – Peppermint Layer Cake Recipe - December 3, 2019
Last updated on December 2nd, 2019 at 01:00 pm