Rich and delicious, this easy Creamed Corn Recipe sure beats anything from a can! All you need to make this classic side dish recipe is 10 minutes and a few simple ingredients!
Easy Creamed Corn
What would Thanksgiving be without a little creamed corn on the side?
This creamed corn recipe is so easy to make and is so creamy and delicious! Everyone, kids included, counts it as one of their favorite side dishes! And you won’t believe how easy it is to make!
We took a classic cream corn recipe and added a touch of Parmesan cheese to complement the sweet corn. The result is better than anything you’d find at the store — and it only takes 10 minutes!
So rich, so creamy and guaranteed to make ya want seconds!!
Related: See all of our favorite Thanksgiving side dish recipes here!
Affiliate links provided for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; read disclosure policy here.
Homemade Cream Corn Ingredients
- Butter — We used unsalted because there is already salt in the recipe; if you use salted butter you may want to use less added salt.
- Milk — We used whole milk, but you can use any milk you have on hand.
- Salt & pepper — To taste
- Parmesan cheese — shredded
- Frozen corn — One 16oz bag should be perfect!
Kitchen Tools Used
- Heat-safe mixing bowls
- Dutch oven or stock pot
What is the Difference between Corn and Creamed Corn?
Despite the name, surprisingly, there is no cream at all in creamed corn! What gives this dish its creamy texture is the starch that is released from the corn during cooking.
This natural starch mixes with the liquids both from the corn itself and in the recipe. The result is a rich “cream” sauce that is made without cream at all!
Does Creamed Corn have Dairy in it?
That all depends on the recipe!
Many canned cream-style corn products that you’ll find at the grocery store are completely dairy free. They may use tapioca starch or corn starch as a thickener.
Our recipe does use milk and butter, but can be easily modified to be dairy free. Simply use your favorite plant-based milk (almond milk or cashew milk work work fabulously) and non-dairy butter substitute.
How to Make Creamed Corn
Add frozen corn to your dutch oven or stock pot. If there is any ice, be sure to rinse the corn first.
Add cornstarch to a heat-safe mixing bowl. In a separate microwave-safe bowl, heat the milk for 25 seconds. Whisk the hot milk into cornstarch.
Stir the butter, cornstarch mixture, salt, pepper, and sugar into the corn and place pot on stove over medium heat.
Cook for 6-8 minutes, until the cream sauce begins to thicken.
Add in the Parmesan cheese and stir to melt, coating the corn.
Best enjoyed immediately.
What to Serve Cream Corn With
While creamed corn is perhaps best known as a traditional Thanksgiving side dish, there’s no reason you can’t enjoy it any time of the year!
It pairs perfectly with rotisserie chicken, pot roast, or any other savory dish!
How to store:
Keep your cream corn in an airtight food storage container in the fridge — it should stay good for up to a week.
To reheat, you can use the microwave or stovetop. I recommend the stovetop method because it brings it to temperature more evenly.
While I am always a fan of trying to make things ahead of time, I have found that creamy recipes don’t usually freeze well. I don’t recommend freezing.
More of our favorite easy side dish recipes:
- Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Beer Bread Recipe
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 2-Ingredient Ginger Ale Glazed Carrots
- Parmesan Ranch Green Beans
Grab a free printable copy of our Easy Creamed Corn Recipe:
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Easy Creamed Corn
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk more as needed
- 1-2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 16 oz frozen corn kernels approximately 4 cups
- Rinse the corn kernels to remove any ice, drain, and add to a stockpot or dutch oven.
- Place cornstarch in a small, heat-safe mixing bowl. Heat milk in a separate microwave-safe container for 25 seconds, then whisk into the cornstarch.
- Stir the butter, milk-cornstarch mixture, salt, pepper and sugar into the dutch oven containing the corn. Turn stove on to medium heat.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes, until the milk mixture thickens.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted, making sure to evenly coat the corn.
Pin this Easy Creamed Corn recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like:
- Why We Take Our Shoes Off In The House - March 27, 2023
- Cowboy Caviar - March 24, 2023
- Bunny Bait - March 22, 2023
This creamed corn recipe is one of my favorites. I always follow the instructions as stated and it turns out great every time!