How to save money on books and build friendships by starting a kids book club. Sponsored by BAND.
Our oldest daughter is a voracious reader and loves nothing more than to curl up on the couch with a good book. As a parent, I love that she loves to read so much! However, she usually finishes an entire chapter book in a day or two…tops. Even shopping at discount and used book stores, it’s still pretty pricey to keep up with her.
PS – Be sure to read the full post to find out how to enter your club, team, or group to win up to $2000 for the 2018-2019 school year in the Back with BAND Sponsorship Event!
How to Start a Kids Book Club
Of course the library is always an option, but my husband recently had an idea that I loved so much I wanted to share. He suggested starting a kids book club where our daughter and her friends could trade books with each other. That way the kids would always have something new to read and we parents would save money instead of buying all new books.
Our kids book club has three main goals:
- Encourage and build friendships
- Save money by trading books among members
- Develop critical thinking through discussions about books that the kids read
How it works:
At group meetings, the kids bring books they’ve finished reading and borrow books from their friends. We also made a printable reading log so the kids can keep track of what they’ve read, which books are their favorites, etc.
Once a month is probably a realistic goal to have meetings, but with the BAND app we are able to “meet” virtually through group chats as well as stay organized and set up trades.
What is BAND?
BAND is a mobile and desktop app that allows you to create groups (aka “bands”) to talk, organize, and plan events for your club or organization. Many parents are organizing their kids’ sports teams and after-school activities using BAND.
Starting a group (like our kids book club) on BAND is easy!
- Download BAND from the iTunes App Store or GooglePlay (the app is free!) There’s also a desktop version so you can access on your computer.
- Create and personalize your group.
- Invite members.
- Schedule events, share photos, and chat away! I’ll tell you about my favorite features in just a minute…
What sets BAND apart from social media apps?
You might be thinking “why wouldn’t I just create a group on one of my existing social media apps?”
I don’t know about you, but I’m easily distracted on social media. There’s so much going on! It’s easy for one specific group to get lost in the shuffle.
One minute I’m trying to organize a group meeting…and before I know it I’m watching videos of cats doing funny stuff or checking out my friend’s vacation photos.
That’s why BAND comes in handy — it’s completely dedicated to providing the best experience for you and your group. Did I mention it’s free?
These are my favorite aspects:
1. You’ll Never Miss a Post
Have you ever been in a group on social media and missed an important post?
Maybe your feed is so crowded with other stuff that you didn’t see posts from the group. Or perhaps the platform’s algorithm didn’t even show you all the posts from your group in the first place!
Those are the two main reasons that BAND does groups better than social media. On BAND, groups are what it’s all about! You’ll never miss a group event again because your social media platform thought that the posts weren’t important enough to show you.
2. Private Groups Are Truly Private
On other social media platforms, even in closed or supposedly private groups, if another member shares a post it can allow non-members to see it.
With kids organizations, privacy is a huge concern and that’s why BAND is so popular with parents. Specifically, the fact that only members of private groups can view what is posted. Parents especially love this feature because it allows them to share photos of their children without worrying about who might see them.
Since the group is secure, I feel comfortable with the idea of the kids chatting amongst themselves. That way they can “meet” virtually when it’s not possible to get together in person. Unlike other online platforms where you don’t know who might drop in and try to talk to your kids, your group on BAND is private.
3. BAND is ALL About Groups
Since BAND is all about groups, you get more and better features to utilize:
- Calendar — A shared calendar that all members can edit and ensures that everyone is on the same page.
- Group Chat — Any member can initiate a chat and everyone can participate. It’s a great way to stay up-to-date and connected with each other in real time.
- Group File Sharing — Share photos, documents and more securely and with total privacy. Group resources are easily accessed by members, but not by anyone else outside the group.
- Group Call — When you can’t meet in person, voice chat is the next best thing. Group call makes it easy for any and all members to stay in touch.
- Community Board — Think of it like a group bulletin board where members can post about events, ideas, and more. You can even mark some posts as more important so they’ll be at the top of the board.
- Event RSVPs — See who’s coming to your group meetings and how many guests they’re bringing.
- To-Do Lists & Sign-Up Sheets — Assign specific tasks to group members, who can check them off when complete. For example, if you’re planning a party, you can make a list of food and supplies needed and keep track as those needs are fulfilled. See screenshot below.
- Polls — Perfect for planning! Ask the group their ideas and input and see results instantly.
If it seems like a lot, that’s because it is! BAND is packed with cool features that I can’t really do justice writing about — you’ve got to experience the app to see for yourself!
Enter Your Club or Team for a Chance to Win a $2000 Sponsorship
It’s not easy or cheap to run a group or team, so this year BAND is launching a #BackwithBAND sponsorship event to help support 2019 teams with up to $2000!
Here’s a breakdown of all the prizes:
- Third Prize: $100 in Amazon Gift Cards (1,900 Teams)
- Second Prize: $300 in Amazon Gift Cards (100 Teams)
- First Prize: $2,000 in Cash or Visa Gift Cards (19 Teams)
How to enter:
- Create a new BAND for your team
- Invite five (or more) teammates.
It’s super easy to enter, and there are thousands of prizes up for grabs! What are you waiting for?!
Rules: One entry per team; only new BANDs created using Contest Entry Page will be valid. Contest runs August 13th – September 30th, 2018. Winners randomly selected and results announced each week throughout the event period.
Popular Ways to Use BAND
A kids book club is just one way to use the Band app — the possibilities are unlimited!
- Sports teams
- Church groups
- Parent Teacher Associations
- Class Reunions
- Family Vacations
- Summer Camps
- Business and Office Organization
You might also like:
FREE Printable Daily Planner
Complete the form to subscribe to our weekly newsletter with inspirational messages for moms, free family-friendly activities, giveaways, special offers, and more! You'll also get a FREE printable daily goal planner as a thank you for subscribing!
Latest posts by Stacey aka the Soccer Mom (see all)
- Easy Halloween Pudding Cups - September 18, 2019
- World’s BEST Carrot Cake Recipe - September 17, 2019
- Why the School Car Rider Line is a Blessing in Disguise - September 16, 2019
Last updated on September 14th, 2018 at 03:49 pm