This perfectly moist and sweet Vanilla Pound Cake is a delicious old-fashioned dessert that’s made with simple ingredients.
Sour Cream Pound Cake
Pound cake is one of my all time favorite sweet treats! There is something so comforting about that sweet flavor, dense texture, and the simplicity of a good pound cake. It reminds me of my Granny’s cooking!
Cakes can be intimidating to bake from scratch, but this vanilla pound cake is actually quite easy to prepare. There are only a handful of basic ingredients, most of them are likely pantry staples that you already have on hand. If you have an hour and the basics, you can make this delicious melt in your mouth pound cake! It’s delicious with a mug of morning coffee!
A pound cake gets its name from old-fashioned recipes that called for a pound of each of the key ingredients: butter, flour, sugar, and eggs. As you can imagine, those original recipes made a BIG cake weighing at least 4 pounds!
We switched up this recipe to make it fit in a standard sized bread pan, which means that we didn’t technically use a pound of each ingredient. We added a bit of of sour cream for an extra creaminess and moistness that regular milk just doesn’t provide. And of course, vanilla to give the cake a well-rounded flavor and delicious fragrance. You’re going to love this one!
For your convenience, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the supplies used to make our gluten free pumpkin pound cake; disclosure policy available here.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature, but not melted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Kitchen Tools Used
- 9×5 loaf pan
- Non-stick baking spray — This spray is designed specifically for baking. It is a combination of oil and flour and makes cakes much easier to get out of the pan without sticking. I prefer it to regular cooking spray for baked goods.
- Stand mixer
- Wire whisk
- Non-slip mixing bowls
- Wire Rack
To Prep: Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and thoroughly coat the inside of your loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray or baking spray. You may also want to line the pan with a sheet of parchment paper, to make the loaf easy to remove after baking.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed. Use the paddle attachment.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated.
- Mix in the sour cream.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients, mixing as you add. Mix on low speed until mixture is mostly smooth and everything is combined.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pans and bake for one hour.
- After pouring batter into the loaf pan, lightly tap the pan on the counter to allow the batter to evenly spread and settle into the pans.
- When checking your loaf at the one hour mark, use a toothpick and stick it into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done. If the toothpick has wet batter stuck to it, bake for 5-10 more minutes.
- We gave our loaf a dusting of powdered sugar after baking. I think it looks so pretty! You could also serve with whipped cream, ice cream, and/or fresh berries to make a truly special dessert.
- If you used parchment paper to line the pan, the loaf should be easy to pop right out. Otherwise, when the cake is done baking, give the pan a gentle shake to release the bread from the bottom and sides of the pan. Then you can flip it onto a cooling rack.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Bake Pound Cake In A Bundt Pan?
Yes, you can bake a pound cake in a bundt pan. However, a typical bundt pan will be larger in capacity than a 9×5″ loaf pan. If you plan to use a bundt pan, you’ll need to double the amount of batter used. The pan you use may also affect the cooking time, so keep an eye on it while baking.
Does Pound Cake Need To Be Refrigerated?
No, pound cake does not require refrigeration; in fact, keeping it in the fridge can cause the cake to dry out more quickly. I recommend storing your loaf in an airtight container, or covering the pan with aluminum foil or plastic wrap, at room temperature. It should last for 3-5 days. Do not slice until you’re ready to serve, to keep it fresher longer.
You can also freeze the pound cake, as a whole, or in individual slices. Wrap the loaf or each slice of cake in plastic wrap, then place into a gallon freezer bag. You can freeze for up to 2 months.
More Sweet Bread Recipes To Try:
Vanilla Pound Cake Recipe (Printable Recipe Card)
If you tried this recipe and liked it, please rate it!
Vanilla Pound Cake
- Electric mixer
- 9x5 inch loaf pan
- Mixing bowls
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 Eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1 3/4 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Spray your mini loaf pans with nonstick baking spray
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, add your sugar, butter, and vanilla extract.
- Mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add your eggs 1 at a time and mix until combined.
- Add your sour cream to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Slowly pour the flour mixture into the bowl of wet ingredients, mixing on low speed until everything is incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the mini loaf pans.
- Lightly tap the pans on the counter to allow the batter to evenly spread and settle into the pans. Place the mini loaf pans on a baking sheet and place them on the center oven rack.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top once cooled.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin our Vanilla Pound Cake on Pinterest:
You might also like: