Healthy Barbecue Chicken Pizza with Sweet Potato Crust

Pizza has been off the menu ever since I became lactose-intolerant about ten years ago. We also avoid gluten whenever possible, so that’s two strikes against those cheesy, doughy pies of deliciousness! Tonight, however, hubby created a pizza that I CAN eat: Barbecue Chicken Pizza with Sweet Potato Crust.

Where has this recipe been my whole life?! WOW!! This pizza was insanely tasty PLUS it’s healthy: gluten-free, dairy-free and packed with protein and veggies! This was one of the best things I’ve eaten in a LONG time– I can’t believe it’s good for you and tastes THAT good too!

One of the best things I've eaten in a LONG time-- healthy or not! (But it IS healthy!) Barbecue Chicken Pizza with Sweet potato crust is gluten free, dairy free and packed with protein and veggies.

Affiliate1

Here’s what you need to make this amazing sweet potato crust pizza:

• 3 medium sweet potatoes
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

STEP ONE: Pre-heat oven to 400°.

STEP TWO: Cook sweet potatoes in microwave until soft.

STEP THREE: Peel sweet potatoes and add to large mixing bowl with: 1 cup almond flour, 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar. (For an extra kick, add a pinch of chili powder.) Mash ingredients until well combined and the mixture takes on a doughy consistency.

STEP FOUR: Use rubber spatula to spread on a Pizza Stone (you could also use a Silicon Baking Mat or greased baking sheet.)

One of the best things I've eaten in a LONG time-- healthy or not! (But it IS healthy!) Gluten free, dairy free and packed with protein and veggies.STEP FIVE: Cook dough at 400° for 30 minutes.

STEP SIX: While pizza dough is baking: shred 1 cup of pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, chop 1 cup spinach, and sauté one thinly sliced medium red onion until soft.

STEP SEVEN: Remove pizza dough from oven and spread 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup tomato sauce on top.

STEP EIGHT: Cover pizza with shredded rotisserie chicken, chopped spinach, and red onions. Drizzle with barbecue sauce.

STEP NINE: Return pizza to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Slice and enjoy!

You can see from the photos there is a beautiful crispness to the edge of the sweet potato crust and it holds up really well with as many ingredients as we piled on, though it’s probably easiest to eat with a fork. But it is seriously so amazing you won’t mind 🙂

Find out how our family saved over $1000 every month eating REAL food (like this pizza!) and get a full week of recipes (7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, & 7 dinners!) in my new ebook Secrets of a Successful Single Income Budget. Part money saving guide, part cookbook, it’s the key to how our family lives (and eats) well!

Click Here for the FREE printable recipe sheet of this Barbecue Chicken Pizza with Sweet Potato Crust.

Pages: 1 2

Pages: 1 2

44 Comments on Healthy Barbecue Chicken Pizza with Sweet Potato Crust

1. Sara
    June 17, 2015 at 11:36 am (12 months ago)

I picked a great night to invite myself for dinner! It truly was delicious and satisfying in the way real pizza is.

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      June 17, 2015 at 10:55 pm (12 months ago)

Just about every night is a good night to come over for dinner! But the pizza WAS amazing!

2. Megan
    September 8, 2015 at 8:55 pm (9 months ago)

Do you have the nutritional information for this recipie?

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      September 8, 2015 at 10:12 pm (9 months ago)

Hi Megan! I don’t have nutrition data because there are quite a few variables that could affect the exact amounts (example: the type of barbecue sauce, the size of the sweet potatoes, etc). I don’t count calories on a regular basis, but what you might try is looking up a nutrition search website and entering in the exact ingredients you used (a lot of these sites will have brand-specific data). That way you could get a rough estimate for your pizza as a whole, and then divide that by the number of servings. I don’t think that this would be a “low-calorie” food, but it is gluten-free, dairy-free, and packed with vitamins and protein, so in my book that is a healthy food 🙂

3. Jacqueline
    September 16, 2015 at 7:47 pm (9 months ago)

I made this for dinner tonight and it was amazing! Even my husband, who doesn’t really care for sweet potatoes loved it! Thank you for sharing this recipe

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      September 16, 2015 at 10:43 pm (9 months ago)

I’m so glad that you loved it Jacqueline and thank you for letting me know! I was just thinking that I need to request it for dinner again soon 🙂

4. Sarah
    November 11, 2015 at 8:52 am (7 months ago)

Could I use another type of flour to replace the almond flour?

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      November 12, 2015 at 12:18 pm (7 months ago)

Sure! We use almond flour because it’s one of our favorite gluten-free options, but you could use whichever type your prefer.

5. Kylie
    November 27, 2015 at 5:07 am (6 months ago)

Hi, I just made this for dinner and was super pleased with the taste and getting more vegetables on my plate. Just one question, how many grams of sweet potato do you use? Cause 3 medium Australian sweet potatoes was way too much and I had to add more flour to get a dough texture.

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      November 27, 2015 at 11:46 am (6 months ago)

Hi Kylie! I’m so glad you enjoyed the sweet potato pizza! I honestly couldn’t tell you the exact amount in grams, as we don’t have a food scale. Generally, my husband does exactly as you did– if there seems to be a bit too much potato, he’ll add more flour to balance it out.

6. Jessica
    December 6, 2015 at 7:45 pm (6 months ago)

This was SO good!! The first good pizza we’ve tried! I can’t stand most paleo-ish crusts, they usually have arrowroot or tapioca flour which make the crust have this weird texture. Your crust recipe is outstanding- we love the flavors and the texture. We made a couple allergy friendly modifications, we used a gelatin egg in place of the egg and I made two AIP bbq sauces to put on the pizza. Soooo so so good. Thanks!!

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      December 7, 2015 at 12:42 pm (6 months ago)

Hi Jessica- I’m so glad that you loved this!! Thank you for letting me know! 🙂 I’m sure your allergy-friendly substitutions could come in handy for other readers.

7. Katie Caldwell
    December 18, 2015 at 2:29 pm (5 months ago)

This looks so good! And I love the idea of making sweet potato crust. My family is also made up of pizza lovers so it’s nice to have a healthy alternative to the traditional carb and cheese loaded pizza. I did recently find a great tool on Registered Dietician Sofia Abdelkafi’s website that analyzes my recipes to tell me whether they are healthy or not. It’s been really helpful because it lets me put my family’s favorites to the test to see if I need to make any changes. You can check it out here: http://sheismynutritionist.com/recipe-analyzer/

8. Christina
    January 7, 2016 at 8:46 pm (5 months ago)

Do you think substituting another kind of flour would be ok? Right now I have brown rice flour, whole wheat, and white 😊

• Christina
      January 7, 2016 at 8:48 pm (5 months ago)

Nevermind I see this already been asked and answered!

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
        January 8, 2016 at 11:47 am (5 months ago)

Let me know which you use and how it goes! 🙂 Any flour with gluten will change the consistency slightly, but it should still taste fantastic!

• Christina
          January 8, 2016 at 2:42 pm (5 months ago)

I used brown rice flour…. It came out delicious! I also just used marinara sauce because I realized I was out of bbq in the midst of the recipe, and piled on veggies. I’ve had bad experiences trying to make cauliflower crust, but this was incredibly easy. Thank you so much!

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
            January 10, 2016 at 1:28 am (5 months ago)

That sounds amazing! I’ve been curious to try cauliflower crust, but so far I haven’t heard any positive reviews. I might have to see if my husband is up for the challenge!

9. Jess
    January 20, 2016 at 7:06 pm (4 months ago)

The taste was fantastic and I love the concept but I can’t believe you recommended baking it on a pizza stone! The whole thing stuck. I managed to chisel pieces off and put on a parchment lined cookie sheet before the topping stage and it turned out messy but yummy. I had a bad feeling about putting it in my well seasoned pizza stone but I figured you knew something I didn’t about the stickiness of the dough… Too bad. Next time, I’ll cook on a parchment-lined pan.

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      January 21, 2016 at 11:29 am (4 months ago)

I’m sorry that you had trouble with the pizza sticking — it could be the type/brand of stone is different than ours. Glad you were able to enjoy it even if it turned out a bit messy 🙂 Thanks for sharing the tip about the parchment paper– it could be useful to readers who don’t have a pizza stone too.

10. Mary
    January 23, 2016 at 8:24 pm (4 months ago)

I just made this for my husband and I this evening–it’s amazing! Thanks for sharing it!!

11. Justin
    January 31, 2016 at 5:23 pm (4 months ago)

Do you preheat the pizza stone before spreading the mixture on?

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      January 31, 2016 at 7:43 pm (4 months ago)

Hi Justin- you don’t have to preheat the pizza stone, but if you want the crust a little crispier, you can brush it with olive oil before baking.

12. Taylor
    February 2, 2016 at 6:02 pm (4 months ago)

How do you soften sweet potatoes in the microwave? Should they go in a bowl or just straight in? About how long does it take to soften enough for the dough? Thanks!

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      February 3, 2016 at 10:00 am (4 months ago)

I poke a few holes in the sweet potatoes first with a fork (so the steam/pressure doesn’t build up while cooking) and wrap them in a completely dampened (but not dripping wet) dish towel. Microwave times vary based on your machine, but generally 5-8 minutes. You want them to be almost as soft as if you were going to eat them right away by themselves– this way you can work with them into a dough. Hope that helps! 🙂

• Dana
        February 3, 2016 at 5:49 pm (4 months ago)

What if you don’t have a microwave (eek, i know!). Do you think you can boil the sweet potatoes first?

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
          February 3, 2016 at 8:02 pm (4 months ago)

Hi Dana- that should be fine! You could also bake them, though that would take longer.

13. Deb
    February 7, 2016 at 7:48 pm (4 months ago)

This was absolutely fabulous. Best gluten free pizza ever. This was our super bowl fare. Thanks

14. Madison Hynes
    February 18, 2016 at 1:11 pm (3 months ago)

How many servings does this make?

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      February 19, 2016 at 4:30 pm (3 months ago)

It depends on how hungry you are 🙂 But one pizza feeds our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids), usually with a couple pieces leftover.

15. Laurie
    February 20, 2016 at 2:30 pm (3 months ago)

Do you think a regular nonstick cookie sheet would work or do you think it would burn the crust

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      February 20, 2016 at 6:15 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Laurie, usually non-stick sheets cook faster, so I would adjust the cooking time (maybe 5-10 minutes less) and keep an eye on it. You can always let it cook fore more time if needed.

16. Madison Hynes
    February 20, 2016 at 7:23 pm (3 months ago)

Hi this looks delicious! I was just wondering how many servings this pizza typically makes?

17. Sara
    February 27, 2016 at 8:45 pm (3 months ago)

Wonderful!! The crust came out perfect! I did pulled pork instead of chicken because I had leftovers. It was delicious! We are trying to eat healthier in our house and pizza has been the biggest struggle, but this fixes my cravings without ruining my diet. Thank you!

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      February 28, 2016 at 3:35 pm (3 months ago)

So glad you enjoyed it Sara! This recipe takes care of my pizza cravings too! Good tip about subbing leftovers 🙂

18. Martin
    March 3, 2016 at 12:31 pm (3 months ago)

Hi, just made this but the base was crispy on top but soggy everywhere else. Any ideas?

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      March 3, 2016 at 2:46 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Martin, you could try rolling the dough out a little thinner. You might also try cooking the dough a few extra minutes…but be sure to watch it carefully! Even still dough will be a bit softer than a traditional wheat crust, due to the nature of the ingredients.

19. Vanessa
    May 18, 2016 at 6:14 am (2 weeks ago)

Omg this was amazing! Absolutely loved it!!

20. Aléna
    May 22, 2016 at 8:44 pm (7 days ago)

Just made it tonight, and the crust tastes amazing! Unfortunately even with extra time in the oven it didn’t crisp up at all. We used parchment paper on a baking sheet. The crust was very soft and broke apart upon contact. A yummy but messy dinner! Any tips for next time?

• Stacey aka the Soccer Mom
      May 23, 2016 at 5:04 pm (6 days ago)

Hi Alena, the problem could be in the parchment paper, which is moisture-resistant and would have the effect of steaming the bottom of your pizza crust. Try cooking on the baking sheet alone and butter the pan so it doesn’t stick. I usually end up eating my pizza with a fork anyway because I load it up with sauce and toppings 🙂