These delicious Apple Pie Cupcakes are the perfect sweet treat for any fall feast! They’re surprisingly easy to make and full of flavor, with apples baked right into the batter!
Apple Pie Filled Cupcakes
Making a whole pie can take a lot of time, and frankly, after making pumpkin pies and pecan pies, it’s nice to have a little change of pace.
You can put together these delicious Apple Pie Cupcakes that taste like an apple pie but in an easy to eat cupcake form! It takes less than an hour to whip up these delicious cupcakes!
Forget spending hours trying to get your pie crust just right, with this easy Apple Pie cupcake recipe; you can feed a crowd, or your family, tasty cupcakes in half the time!
Just look at these mouthwatering cupcakes, creamy frosting, and cinnamon on top. You can see how awesome these are without even making them yet!
What you need to make Apple Pie Cupcakes
For your convenience, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products used to make this apple cupcake recipe. Disclosure policy available here.
- Butter — Softened, but not melted
- Vegetable Oil — Or your favorite oil for baking
- White sugar
- Eggs — at room temperature
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking powder
- Milk — At room temperature; your favorite type of milk
- Apple pie filling –– One 20z can
For the Cinnamon Vanilla Frosting
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla paste (or vanilla extract)
Kitchen Tools Used
- Muffin tin
- Cupcake liners
- Stand mixer — You can also use an electric hand mixer if that’s what you have at home. But if you’ve been eyeing a gorgeous KitchenAid mixer, check out the refurbished options! We bought ours refurbished and saved a ton of money!
- Frosting decorating bag — We love these reusable silicone piping bags because you can wash and use them over and over again. A star tip makes those gorgeous icing swirls that you see at fancy bakeries.
How to Make Apple Pie Filling for Cupcakes
We used canned apple pie filling because it’s a big time-saver and has a thicker consistency that holds up well on top of the cupcakes.
However, you can absolutely make your own apple pie filling from scratch — this is our family recipe for stovetop apples. Keep in mind that the juice for homemade apples will be thinner in consistency than the canned variety, unless you use a thickener while cooking them,
How to Fill Cupcakes with Apple Filling
There are two main ways you can make filled cupcakes:
- Bake cupcakes, cut out the middle and fill (like these cherry filled cupcakes)
- Bake filling into the cupcake batter itself (which is what we’ll do here)
Both are pretty easy, but we decided to do the second method because some of the apple pie filling bakes right into the cupcakes so they are extra moist!
To start, you’ll fill the bottom of the cupcake liners with a heaping Tablespoon of batter and bake for 5 minutes – just enough to start to set.
Now, put a spoonful of apple pie filling in the middle of each cupcake liner:
Cover with batter:
Now finish baking for 10-12 minutes, until the cupcakes are done. They will be moist, but the batter should not stick to a toothpick when you stick it in the middle of the cupcakes.
You can see the apple pie filling baked right into the cupcakes!
Now we’ll make a nest with our frosting:
And fill that with with more apple pie!
Doesn’t that look amazing! Almost like mini apple pies baked in a cupcake pan!
Can you freeze the cupcakes?
If you want to make cupcakes ahead of time, you can individually wrap them in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to three months. However, it’s best to freeze them BEFORE you ice them instead of after.
How do I store these Apple Pie Cupcakes?
These Apple Pie Cupcakes should last up to a week on your counter. However, they are the best if eaten a few days after baking.
If it’s hot where you live, you will want to keep them in a cool place to avoid the frosting melting. However, try to avoid keeping them in the refrigerator to prevent them from drying out.
More of our favorite apple recipes:
- Apple Fritter Pull-Apart Bread
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Apple Butter
- Instant Pot Apple Cake
- Baked Ham, Apple, and Cheddar Sliders
- Oatmeal Stuffed Apples with Candied Pecans
- Gluten Free Apple Pie Donuts
- Gluten Free Apple Quinoa Cake
Apple Pie Cupcake Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Apple Pie Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups milk room temperature
- 20 oz canned apple pie filling
For the Cinnamon Vanilla Frosting
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered icing sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk or cream
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
To Make the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare two muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat together the butter, oil, and sugar until light and fluffy. You can also use a stand mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing as you go, then add the vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Gently fold half of the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Add the milk and mix, then the remaining flour mixture and mix.
- Portion 1 scoop (approximately 1 to 1 1/2 Tablespoons) of batter into each cupcake liner and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and scoop 1 Tablespoon of apple pie filling into the center of each cupcake. Cover with the remaining cupcake batter.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the cupcakes are completely set and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare your vanilla cinnamon frosting.
To Make the Frosting
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 2 cups of powdered sugar until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Add 2 Tablespoons of milk, cinnamon and vanilla and mix until well incorporated. If needed, add more powdered sugar until you have the consistency you like.
- Scoop the frosting into a frosting decorating bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe a circle of the frosting onto the top of each cooled cupcake, leaving the middle unfrosted. Scoop a spoonful of apple pie filling into the center of the frosting.
Pin this Apple Pie Cupcakes Recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: