These Watermelon Margaritas are a sweet and summery cocktail that’s made with fresh fruit! Make them “on the rocks” or frozen with one recipe!
Margaritas are my favorite cocktail, so I’m always looking for new ways to jazz them up or new margarita recipes to try. I’m so excited to share this fruity Watermelon Margarita with you guys!
There’s still a month of summer left, and actually it feels like summer a lot longer than that here in Texas! We’ve been dealing with record-breaking heat for weeks, so a refreshing drink is definitely a must sometimes!
This recipe uses fresh fruit and watermelons are in season, so it’s the perfect time to whip up a batch of Watermelon Margaritas! Grab a watermelon next time you’re at the store and let’s get mixing!
I’ll show you how to make both on-the-rocks or a frozen version. Both are easy and delicious and you really can taste the sweet flavor of the watermelon!
Related: Try our Watermelon Margarita Jello Shots too!
I’ve included affiliate links for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; disclosure policy available here.
- 4 cups Fresh Watermelon (Seedless, with rind removed)
- 1 cup Tequila
- 1/2 cup Triple Sec (or similar orange liqueur)
- 1/3 cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/4 cup Simple Syrup or Agave Syrup
Note: Ingredient amounts are for a pitcher and are the same for both “on the rocks” or the frozen version. For the frozen watermelon margaritas you will add 1 cup of ice cubes and you will freeze the watermelon first too.
Recipe intended for readers 21+
Optional Garnish Ideas
- Tajin (Chili Lime Seasoning)
- Coarse Salt
- Lime Wedges
- Watermelon Slices
Bartender’s Tools Used
- Cocktail glass or champagne coupe (these margs can be served in either!)
- High powered blender (we bought our Vitamix refurbished and saved a TON of money!)
- Fine Mesh strainer
“On the Rocks” Instructions
To Prep: Cut the watermelon into chunks and remove the rind.
- Add watermelon pieces, tequila, triple sec, lime juice, margarita mix, and agave syrup to a blender.
- Puree until completely smooth, with no large chunks of fruit.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer to remove any remaining pulp.
- Serve on the rocks (in a glass full of ice cubes), with or without salt.
Frozen Watermelon Margaritas Instructions
To Prep: Cut the watermelon into chunks and remove the rind. Place the watermelon chunks in a freezer safe container and into the freezer until frozen solid.
- Add all ingredients to a large blender with 1 cup of ice cubes.
- Blend on frozen drink mode (or medium to high speed).
- When your margarita mixture is smooth and has a slushy consistency, pour into your prepared glasses. If the mixture is too thick to drink through a straw, add a bit more liquid (you can add a splash of tequila, triple sec, and lime juice to keep it flavorful). If the mixture is too watery, add another cup of ice and blend again.
- For a spicy kick, instead of coating the rim of the glass with margarita salt, try using Tajin (chili lime seasoning) instead.
- Garnish with a lime wedge or fresh watermelon slice.
- Using a seedless watermelon will speed up the process a bit because you don’t need to remove all the seeds one by one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Use Watermelon Juice Instead?
Yes, you can start with fresh watermelon juice if you’d like to skip the step of cutting and juicing your own. Be sure to use pulp-free juice or strain it first!
If using watermelon juice, you’ll need 3 cups (instead of 4 cups of watermelon cubes). If making frozen watermelon margaritas, you’ll want to freeze the juice into cubes first.
What is the Best Tequila to Use in a Margarita?
With a margarita, you can really use any type of tequila, so it’s up to you! Since this drink is pink in color, you can use either gold or silver tequila. The type of tequila won’t affect the color of your cocktail.
Quality-wise, I always recommend using a mid-range liquor. Too expensive, and it’s a bit of a waste since you won’t be tasting the nuanced flavors of an aged tequila. Too cheap, well, I don’t think I need to explain why you might not want to use the cheapest tequila!
Can You Make A Single Serving Instead?
Since you’re going to the trouble of juicing watermelon, I went ahead and designed this recipe to make a pitcher’s worth. However, if you want to make just one serving, you can easily do that too!
Here’s what you need for one serving:
- 1 ounce tequila
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 ounce sweetener
- 4 ounces watermelon juice
Add ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice, shake for 5 seconds to chill, and pour the contents of the shaker into a salt-rimmed glass.
More of our Most Popular Margarita Recipes
- Thanksgiving Margaritas
- Fresh Skinny Margarita Recipe
- Christmas Margarita Recipe
- Frozen Blackberry Margarita Recipe
- Pineapple Margaritas
- Jalapeño Margaritas
- Cantaloupe Margaritas
- Frozen Strawberry Margaritas
Watermelon Margarita Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you tried this recipe and loved it, please rate it!
Watermelon Margarita Recipe (2 Ways)
- 1 Blender
- 1 Mesh Strainer
- 1 Pitcher
- 4 cups Fresh seedless watermelon skin removed
- 1 cup Tequila
- 1/2 cup Triple sec
- 1/3 cup Fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup Simple Syrup or Agave Syrup
"On the Rocks" Watermelon Margaritas:
- Add watermelon cubes, tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and simple syrup to a blender.
- Puree until completely smooth.
- Pour mixture through a mesh strainer to remove any remaining pulp.
- Serve over ice, in a salt-rimmed glass.
Frozen Watermelon Margaritas
- Remove rind and seeds from watermelon and place in a freezer safe container in the freezer, until frozen solid.
- Add all ingredients to a blender with 1 cup ice cubes.
- Blend until you have a slushy consistency. Add more liquid if it is too thick and add more ice if it is too liquid-y.
Pin our Easy Watermelon Margarita Recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: