Our absolutely decadent Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls are surprisingly easy to make with this box cake shortcut!
Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls
I am a self-professed chocoholic, but I have a soft spot for cinnamon rolls.
Ok, I LOVE LOVE LOVE cinnamon rolls!!
Nothing will ever compare to my Granny’s famous cinnamon rolls. But then again, they are kind of tricky to make – at least for me.
I need a recipe that is beginner-friendly, and these Cake Mix Red Velvet Cinnamon rolls are exactly that!
Plus, they are a gorgeous red color (they’d be perfect for Valentine’s Day!) and smothered in luscious cream cheese icing. I can barely type all that without my mouth watering!
PS- If you want to see how to make an awesome Halloween dessert with red velvet cinnamon rolls, check out this recipe to make “Zombie Guts” Cinnamon Rolls!
How to Make Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls with Cake Mix
A free printable copy of the full recipe and ingredient list is available at the bottom of the post. Keep reading for photo step-by-step instructions to see how we made our Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls or click here to jump straight to the printable recipe.
Kitchen Tools Used:
For your convenience in re-creating our Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products we used. Disclosure policy available here.
When brushing your dough with oil, don’t forget to coat the sides of the bowl — this will prevent the dough from sticking as it rises. Your dough should just about double in size in an hour.
After cutting your cinnamon rolls, lay them flat on a baking pan. This recipe will make about 10-12 red velvet cinnamon rolls, depending on how wide you slice them.
Your rolls will double in size again during the hour that they “rest” prior to baking:
After baking, generously coat the top of the rolls with cream cheese icing. I like to make sure it gets down in the cracks between rolls too! Can you ever have too much icing?!
Allow your red velvet cinnamon rolls to cool slightly before serving.
Get more recipes delivered right to your inbox each week!
Sign up for our weekly recipe share newsletter below – it’s fun and free!
Make Cooking Fun (and Easy!)
Pin our Cake Mix Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls on Pinterest:
Grab a free printable copy of our Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls recipe:
If you like this recipe, rate it! We’d also love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Our absolutely decadent Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls are surprisingly easy to make with this box cake shortcut! Click for photo step-by-step recipe!
- 1 box of Duncan Hines Red velvet cake mix
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 14 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 10 Tablespoon whole milk
- Combine cake mix, flour, warm water, and yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Once dough forms, place dough on a flour-dusted surface and knead until the dough "bounces" back after touching it.
- Place dough into a large glass bowl and brush the top of dough, as well as the sides of the glass bowl, with a Tablespoon of oil.
- Cover bowl with a kitchen towel and allow to sit for an hour.
- After an hour, the dough should have about doubled in size.
- Remove dough from bowl and place onto a floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll dough out to about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Brush melted butter onto the dough and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar.
- Use hand to roll dough sheet into a log, then slice into rolls.
- Place rolls into a baking dish and cover again for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls for 30 minutes.
- Cream together butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and whole milk together until smooth, using an electric mixer or stand mixer.
- Remove from oven and smother with the cream cheese icing.
- Allow cinnamon rolls to cool slightly before enjoying.
Note: Nutrition information is a rough estimate only; actual values will vary based on the exact ingredients used and amount of recipe prepared.
More of our favorite cinnamon roll recipes:
Latest posts by Stacey aka the Soccer Mom (see all)
- PEEPS Bunny Cupcakes - February 26, 2020
- Easter Themed Sight Words Games - February 24, 2020
- How to Start a Blog from the Ground Up in 10 Steps - February 20, 2020
Last updated on July 24th, 2019 at 09:52 am