Made with simple, wholesome ingredients, these Cashew Butter Cookies with Cacao Frosting are cookies you can feel good about eating! They’re gluten free and dairy free, but with a blend of creamy nut butters, they taste unbelievably decadent and delicious!
Cashew Butter Cookies with Cacao Frosting
Whether you’re looking for an allergy-friendly alternative to peanut butter cookies or a sweet treat that won’t break your diet, we’ve got you covered!
A few years ago, my husband made these amazing almond butter chocolate chip cookies. They were not only a hit with our family, but with readers as well!
Since then we’ve tried a few different gluten free cookie recipes to add variety, though it’s hard to beat those original chocolate chip cookies.
However, these cashew butter cookies give ’em a run for the money!! They are definitely another amazing healthy cookie recipe to add to the list!
Packed with wholesome real food ingredients, this is one cookie that you don’t feel guilty about indulging! They’re gluten free, dairy free, and contain no refined sugars!
The best part, they’re easy to make! You can whip up a batch in about 20 minutes or so!
I’ve included affiliate links for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; disclosure policy available here.
Homemade Cashew Butter Cookies Ingredients
- Almond flour — We recommend blanched almond flour, which is a bit finer than almond meal. However you can really use either.
- Baking powder
- Honey — We recommend using raw, organic honey for the best flavor and nutrition.
- Vanilla extract
- Cashew butter — Known for its rich, creamy flavor and consistency, cashew butter makes these cookies taste especially decadent!
- Almond butter — With fewer carbs that almond butter, mixing the two creates a cookie that’s lower in carbs than regular cookies, but still has rich flavor.
- Chia seeds — Adding chia seeds gives our cookies a bit of a nutty “crunch,” as well as a ton of nutrients like omega 3 fatty acids and fiber!
Cacao Frosting Ingredients
- Cacao Powder — You can substitute with unsweetened cocoa powder, as it is very similar. We just love cacao powder because it is less processed and maintains more of its nutritional value.
- Almond butter — If possible, try to use almond butter near the top of the jar where the oil sits, versus the more hardened portion at the bottom of the container. You can stir a bit so that it’s not ALL oil, but try to get the more liquid part of the almond butter to ensure that your frosting has a smooth consistency.
- Almond milk — Feel free to substitute with your favorite plant-based milk!
Kitchen Supplies Used:
- Non-slip mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- Cookie sheet
- Non-stick silicone baking mats
- Cookie scooper
How to Make Cashew Butter Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mats.
Combine all cookie ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Use an electric hand mixer on low to medium speed to blend until smooth. You can also use a stand mixer if you prefer.
TIP: Be sure to use a mixer as opposed to simply stirring with a spoon or you may end up with chunky cookies.
Use a cookie scoop to create even balls of cookie dough — no need to press down, as the batter will “settle” on its own.
Bake for 17 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow cookies cool completely while still on the baking sheet.
To Make the Cacao Frosting:
This frosting couldn’t be easier! All you do is stir together the frosting ingredients until smooth. You can do this while you wait on the cookies to cool.
When they’re cool enough that they won’t melt the frosting, use a spatula to spread a generous scoop of cacao frosting on top of each cookie.
What are the benefits of cashew butter?
Cashew butter is a good source of healthy fats, but the main reason we love it is that cashew butter has a smooth and creamy taste and texture.
The original recipe is a combination of cashew butter and almond butter because it creates balanced flavor. Also, the runnier almond butter works better for making frosting, so might as well use some in the cookies too!
However, you are welcome to only use cashew butter in the cookies if you don’t have any almond butter on hand. If using the cashew butter in the frosting, your end result may be a bit thicker, or you may need to add more almond milk.
Is cacao and cocoa the same thing?
Cacao and cocoa are often confused, but the good news is that they are very similar and you can use either for this recipe. Because it is less processed and this is a healthy cookie recipe, we recommend cacao powder.
However, cacao can be a bit pricier of the two, so it’s completely ok to go with the more budget-friendly option! The main thing to watch out for when purchasing cocoa powder is that there is no added sugar or dairy.
More of our favorite healthy cookie recipes:
- Keto No Bake Cookies
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Avocado Cookies
- Keto Peanut Butter Cookies
Cashew Butter Cookie Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Cashew Butter Cookies with Cacao Frosting (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
For the Cashew Butter Cookies
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/3 cup Almond flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar free maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Cashew butter
- 1/3 cup Almond butter
- 1/2 cup Chia seeds
For the Cacao Frosting
- 1/8 cup Cacao powder
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar free maple syrup Liquid
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Almond butter Runny*
- 1 Tablespoon Almond milk
For the Cashew Butter Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mats.
- Combine all cookie ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric hand mixer on low to medium speed to blend until smooth.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out even-sized balls of batter. No need to press down, as the batter will “settle” on its own.
- Bake for 17 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove from the oven and allow cookies to cool completely while still on the baking sheet.
For the Cacao Frosting
- In a small bowl, stir together all the frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Using a silicone spatula, portion and spread the frosting on top of the cookies.
Pin this Cashew Butter Cookies with Cacao Frosting Recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: