So much sweet cherry flavor in every bite! You’re going to love this quick and easy homemade iced cherry bread!
Homemade Cherry Bread
This Cherry Bread is soft and sweet and one of the easiest quick bread recipes I’ve ever made!
This Cherry Bread is great any time of year but would be a great treat for Valentine’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day, or even Sunday brunch.
The taste of the cherries really comes through in the frosting and in the lovely pieces of maraschino cherry baked into the bread. You get so much delicious cherry flavor in every bite!
Maraschino Cherry Bread Ingredients
For your convenience in re-creating this recipe, I’ve included shop-able ad links to products we use; disclosure policy available here.
For the bread:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Large egg
- Buttermilk — at room temperature
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Maraschino cherries — You’ll need a 16oz jar; chop the cherries and save the juice
For the Glaze:
- Powdered sugar
- Maraschino cherry juice (from the jar of cherries)
- Milk — any kind of milk, even non-dairy should be fine
Kitchen Supplies Used
How to Keep Your Bread from Sticking to the Pan
Isn’t it the worst when you try to get bread out of a pan and it sticks? You’ve either got to risk scraping your pan to get the bread out, or tear the bottom of the loaf!
The key to getting your homemade bread to pop right out of a loaf pan is to make sure that the pan is thoroughly coated in butter. You can even add a dusting of flour too.
When bread is done baking, allow it to cool in the pan until it is safe to handle — about room temperature or maybe a little warmer.
Give the pan a good shake until you see the bread start to loosen up. When the bread is moving around easily in the pan, it should be ok to flip it onto a cooling rack. And it should all come out in once beautiful piece!
How to Make Cherry Bread
Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease your loaf pan.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
In a separate mixing bowl, add the egg, granulated sugar, and brown sugar and mix. Add buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and almond extract and beat together until just combined.
Slowly pour the wet ingredients into your bowl of dry ingredients, mixing as you pour.
Fold in the chopped cherries with a spoon or spatula.
Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes.
TIP: For even browning, turn the bread halfway through the baking time. Check it at 45 minutes or so — if it seems to be browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil for the remainder of baking.
You’ll know the bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf coxed out clean.
Allow the bread to cool in the pan until it is room temperature, or just a little warmer. Give the pan a shake to loosen it, then flip the bread onto a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
To Make the Cherry Glaze
Once the bread is cool, you can whip up the glaze. It only takes a couple minutes!
Whisk together the powdered sugar, cherry juice, and milk together until smooth.
Put a baking sheet under your wire rack to catch excess icing. Use a large spoon to drizzle the icing on top of the bread, allowing it to slowly run down the sides.
Allow icing to set before slicing.
TIP: If you like a thick layer of icing on your cherry bread, make a double batch of the icing. Drizzle half on the bread and allow to set, then slowly pour the rest of the icing on top, taking care to fill any gaps.
Try these fabulous cherry recipes too:
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
- Very Cherry Dump Cake
- Red White and Blue Cherry Brownie Cupcakes
- Gluten Free Cherry Jelly Donut Cupcakes
- Cherry Berry Parfait
- Sparkling Black Cherry Martini
Grab a Printable Copy of our Cherry Bread Recipe
If you love this recipe, rate it! You can also share your thoughts in the comments below.
Homemade Cherry Bread Recipe
- Loaf Pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg large
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 16- ounce jar of maraschino cherries chopped (save the juice)
For the Glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp maraschino cherry juice
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x5" loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a diffrent mixing bowl, beat together the egg, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until well combined. Add buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and almond extract and mix until they are just incorporated.
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, mixing as you go.
- Fold in chopped maraschino cherries with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Pour batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes -- or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Turn bread halfway through baking so it browns evenly.
For the Glaze:
- Whisk the powdered sugar, cherry juice, and milk together until smooth.
- Drizzle over cooled bread and allow to set.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: