Your little soccer star will LOVE this Soccer Birthday Cake — and you’ll love how easy it is to make!
Easy Soccer Birthday Cake
The last time I visited a bakery I was shocked by the price tag on birthday cakes. Even seemingly simple sheet cakes with character decorations on top were selling for around $100. Whoa!
The design for this simple soccer field cake comes courtesy of Jennifer at Sugar Spice and Glitter. She helped me put together an entire Kids Soccer Birthday Party for under $50. (That’s half the price of some of those “fancy” birthday cakes I saw…for an entire party!) Be sure to check out Jennifer’s collection of 10 cakes kids can make for more inspiration.
Note: For your convenience in re-creating this soccer cake recipe, we’ve included shop-able ad links to products we used.
The best part about this easy soccer birthday cake is that you don’t need any special supplies to make it aside from a large cake pan! Feel free to use a ziplock bag as your piping bag if needed and a butter knife instead of the offset spatula. (Though we do love our offset spatula because it makes frosting party desserts a breeze!)
How to Make a Soccer Field Cake
A free printable copy of this recipe is available at the bottom of the post.
Keep reading for photo step-by-step instructions and cooking tips or click here to jump to printable recipe.
We’ve included directions for homemade cake and buttercream icing, but feel free to save time by using a box cake and pre-made icing.
A plastic piping bag makes drawing the lines on the soccer field a breeze. We snip the end of the piping bag so it is about as wide as a pencil.
However, you can also use a regular ziplock bag for this step in a pinch – simply snip the corner to pipe your icing.
You could also use these cute soccer birthday candles available on Amazon!
Make Cooking Fun (and Easy!)
Grab a Free Printable Copy of Our Easy Soccer Birthday Cake Recipe:
Easy Soccer Birthday Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup butter
- 3-4 cups icing sugar or powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2-4 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 4 drops green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour one 13" long cake pan. Set aside.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth, then add in the vanilla and 2 Tablespoons of cream.
- Adjust the consistency with more sugar for a stiffer frosting, or more cream for a softer frosting.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the white frosting to a piping bag and then add the food coloring to the remaining frosting.
- Frost the cake with the green frosting using an offset spatula.
- Snip the tip off of the piping bag and (looking at an example of a soccer field) pipe lines to represent the chalk markings on a soccer field.