It may be called an “ugly sweater” but this Ugly Sweater Christmas Card is one of the CUTEST kid-made Christmas card ideas ever! And it’s super easy to make!
Ugly Christmas Sweater Card
When I was brainstorming ugly sweater Christmas card ideas, I found inspiration on Amazon by searching for my supplies first. I found the cutest Christmas buttons (I linked to them in the supply list below) and it all just came together from there!
What is so great about this Christmas card ugly sweater is that it really is a Christmas card idea that kids can make themselves. The “uglier” the better! And actually, it isn’t ugly at all! I couldn’t believe how cute these ugly sweater Christmas cards turned out! They may just be my favorite homemade Christmas card we’ve ever created!
Ugly Sweater Card Supplies
For your convenience in re-creating our Christmas card ugly sweater, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products we used. Our disclosure policy is available here.
- Permanent marker (black, silver or gold metallic)
- Cotton balls
- Gold rick rack
- Christmas buttons (we found this awesome set on Amazon with regular red and green buttons plus fun Christmas shapes – it is what is pictured in our photos and video)
- Child’s photo
How to Make a Ugly Sweater Christmas Card
First, watch our quick video demo (1 minute) to see how to make our ugly sweater craft. Then keep reading for photo step-by-step instructions and free printable tutorial.
Click video to play:
Print out child’s photo – a 4″ x 6″ photo will be the perfect size for this ugly sweater craft. Cut out the photo, removing the background, so that only the child’s head remains.
Fold card stock in half and attach child’s photo to the front.
Trace along the top of the front of the card in a curve shape, like the shoulders of a sweater. Cut out the little bit of excess cardstock.
Usually I would make an ugly sweater Christmas card template, like the printable kids craft templates I’ve created for our other holiday card designs. However, this ugly sweater card is SO easy that I don’t think a template is even necessary. You can’t mess it up!
Use black permanent marker to draw sleeves onto the sweater.
Cut a strip of gold rick rack the length of the sweater and glue to the middle, where the sweater would button up.
Trim the sleeves and neckline of your ugly sweater card with cotton.
Finally, decorate your ugly Christmas sweater card with Christmas buttons and metallic stars (we drew our stars with metallic marker, but you could also use stickers).
We kept it simple with our ugly sweater Christmas card wording, but you can write any message inside or even more photos!
The best thing about making an ugly sweater card is that you can literally do anything! It’s so much fun to get wacky and creative with your card!
TIP: If you’re planning an ugly sweater Christmas party or theme for kids, you’ll love these Ugly Sweater Coloring Pages from Mum in the Madhouse!
More Kids Christmas Crafts
- Kid-Made Christmas Tree Picture Frame Craft
- Christmas Present Pop-Up Card
- Cardboard Tube Christmas Tree Craft
- Christmas Lights Snow Globe
- Handprint Angel Christmas Card
- Photo Christmas Tree Card
- Christmas Stocking Pop Up Card
Ugly Sweater Christmas Card Instructions
Ugly Sweater Christmas Card
- Permanent Marker
- Cotton balls
- Gold rick rack
- Christmas buttons
- Child's photo
- Print out child's photo and cut out the background, so that only the child's head remains.
- Fold card stock in half and attach child's photo to the front.
- Trace along the top of the front of the card in a curve shape, like the shoulders of a sweater. Cut out the little bit of excess cardstock.
- Use black permanent marker to draw sleeves.
- Cut a strip of gold rick rack the length of the sweater and glue to the middle of sweater.
- Use cotton to trim the sleeves and neckline.
- Decorate with Christmas buttons and metallic stars.
You Might Also Like
Check out our BIG collection of Christmas Crafts for Kids: