These Air Fryer Zucchini Fries are so crispy and flavorful and a healthier alternative to French fries! An easy recipe with just 10 minutes of cook time and 6 ingredients!
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
My kids are French fry fanatics. Seriously, I think they could eat fries every day if I let them!
Well, this mom has a little trick up her sleeve…
Zucchini fries!! Yes, really! Hear me out! These zucchini fries are crispy, crunchy, and flavorful…AND they are actually nutritious too!
Tender zucchini strips, coated in a flavorful garlic parmesan coating, and air fried until golden brown — this side dish is so delicious that the whole family will be asking for seconds!
If you’re looking for a new way to enjoy veggies, you’ve got to try this one! They are crispy and take just a few minutes to make! These are great as a bite-sized snack or appetizer whenever you’ve got a French fry craving!
Plus, if you’re a gardener, this is a great way to use up a crop of zucchini squash!
Related: Try our Gluten Free Zucchini Cake recipe too!
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into sticks
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Kitchen Tools Used
I’ve included shop-able ad links for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; disclosure policy available here.
- Air Fryer (this is similar to what was used here, but you can use the basket air fryers too)
- 3 Mixing Bowls
- Set up a small bowl for each: one for flour, one for the beaten egg, and the third for the bread crumb mixture (panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, and grated parmesan).
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes and coat your air fryer tray or basket with non-stick cooking spray.
To Coat the Fries:
- Wash and dry zucchini and cut off the ends. Slice the zucchini into sticks that are about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
- Coat zucchini sticks in flour.
- Dip the flour-coated zucchini sticks in the egg wash, making sure they are fully coated but allowing the excess liquid to drip back into the bowl.
- Dredge the zucchini sticks in the panko mixture.
Repeat until all the zucchini fries are coated in breading.
Place the coated zucchini fries in a single layer on the air fryer trays or in the basket, depending on the type of air fryer you have. Make sure that the fries do not overlap, or they may not cook as well.
Air fry for 8-10 minutes at 400°F, or until golden brown on the outside. If using an air fryer with a basket, you will likely need to cook in batches.
- For extra crispy fries, sprinkle the zucchini strips with salt before coating them in the flour/egg/breadcrumbs. This will help draw out excess moisture. Use a dry paper towel to blot away any water on the outside of the zucchini.
- Garnish with chopped parsley to make the fries look prettier on the plate (both fresh or dried will work!)
- Try using Italian seasoning or ranch seasoning instead of the garlic powder in the coating to switch up the flavors!
Dipping Sauces for Zucchini Fries
Here are some delicious homemade sauce recipes to try:
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A Sauce — I put this stuff on everything! It’s a creamy and tangy combination of honey mustard and barbecue sauce. This is my favorite dipping sauce!
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A Honey Mustard — Speaking of honey mustard, this is the best!
- Homemade Spicy Mayo — This is my go-to recipe! It’s keto friendly and low carb too!
- Fresh Chimichurri Sauce — A South American herb-based sauce that tastes amazing on fries.
Of course, they also taste delicious with ketchup, ranch dressing, or marinara sauce if you want to keep it simple.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Bake Zucchini Fries in the Oven?
Sure! I love the air fryer because it mimics the perfect crispy exterior you get from deep-frying, without the oil and grease. However, the oven will work too and crisp them up nicely.
To bake zucchini fries in a conventional oven, place your coated zucchini strips on a lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 400°F. I recommend flipping them halfway through so they cook evenly.
How Do You Reheat Leftover Zucchini Fries?
If you used the air fryer to cook them, you can also use the air fryer to reheat your zucchini fries! Place the leftover fries in your air fryer for about 3-5 minutes at 350°F, just enough to warm them and crisp up the coating again.
If you used the oven to cook them, then that’s going to be your best method for reheating. Place leftover fries on a lined baking sheet and into the oven. Press the preheat button and set temp for 350°F. When the oven beeps that it is at temperature, you can take the fries out. They should be warmed through!
I don’t recommend using the microwave to reheat your zucchini fries if you have either of the above appliances. The microwave will heat them up, but they won’t get crispy.
Can You Make This Recipe Gluten Free?
Absolutely! To do so, simply swap out the regular flour with all-purpose gluten free flour and use gluten free panko breadcrumbs. We actually use the gluten free panko a lot at home and they taste just like the original and are super crispy!
More of our Most Popular Air Fryer Recipes
- Bacon-Wrapped Pickles
- Air Fryer Fried Ice Cream
- Air Fryer Soft Pretzels
- Cheesy Air Fryer Breadsticks
- Air Fried Lasagna Roll-Ups
- Air Fryer Strawberry Chimichangas
- Double Chocolate Air Fryer Muffins
- Air Fryer Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you tried this recipe and loved it, please rate it!
Crispy Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Air Fryer
- 3 Small Bowls
- 4 zucchini cut into sticks, 3” x ½”
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Wash and dry zucchini. Cut off the ends, then slice into strips that are about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
- For extra crispy fries, sprinkle the zucchini strips with salt and allow to sit for 10 minutes to draw out excess moisture. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes and coat the air fryer tray or basket with non-stick spray.
- Prepare 3 small bowls: one for flour, second with beaten egg, and the third with the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder.
- Dip each zucchini stick into the flour, then the beaten egg (shaking off excess liquid), and then into the bread crumb mixture.
- Place zucchini fries in a single layer on the air fryer trays or in the basket, depending on the air fryer used. Do not overlap.
- Air fry at 400°F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Pin our Parmesan Zucchini Fries on Pinterest:
You might also like: